Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Apple genius bar -- will they repair my computer?
    I was trying to manually copy the Photos Library on my wife's Macbook (Running 10.14.6) to a flash drive and things got messed up. I had moved the Photos Library to her Desktop (in order to then drag it onto the flash drive). When the flashdrive move failed, I tried to then put the Library back where it had oriiginally been been (Users -> [wife's name] -> Pictures) -- but that operation has just been hanging for several hours (blank white screen with little circle thing going round and round). According to the "Get Info," the Library is there under "Pictures" (stated size of 15.68 gb). But no way to get it useable (still hanging).

If I take the laptop to the Apple Genius Bar, will they resolve the problem? I'm willing to pay. Just want them to fix it! Do they offer that kind of service?? Thanks for any info.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Flash drives are not the best way to do any large copying. Also the process you used is prone to errors especially with such a large photo library. The best way is to use the export feature for the photo library and preferably to an external USB hard drive not a flash drive.

Try rebooting the machine to see if you can do anything with the library after that. Also.. an important question; do you have a backup of your wife's Macbook? If you do, the easiest way is to restore the backup.

As to your question: The Genius Bar does not ordinarily resolve software problems unless it has something to do with macOS and your Mac is still covered by Apple Care. And this time of year, Apple Stores are crowded with customers and Genius Bar appointments for warranty repairs and other repairs.

I'm willing to pay. Just want them to fix it! Do they offer that kind of service?? Thanks for any info.

There are usually several good local authorized Mac dealers and independent repair places that I would be surprised if they wouldn't or couldn't do that, and just bypass the Genius Bars which are probably plugged up this time of year.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    When you moved the "Photos library' was Photos app open at the time?

Have you tried safe mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

And, I also agree with Patrick, Small Business Owners, tend to be more receptive to these types of issues. Be sure to research the businesses in your area.

I will await for more info.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I doubt if you have 'moved' the Photos library, probably copied it and it will still be there in Apps.

If (and you should) have a back up, restore to the previous date.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

chscag: Thanks -- as it turned out, shutting down and then rebooting her computer "made everything OK" (as it so often does, in life as well as computers!). However, I still haven't copied her Photos Library to an external place. Please tell me why it's not good to copy to a flash drive? The Library is about 16 gb and the (brand new) Sandisk holds 64 gb.

(Yes, she should have been backing up responsibly, etc., etc.) (She isn't a bad person!)

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    The "photos library", is a database, that is only readable with the Photos app. That's why the export function in Photos, would be the preferred method of copying your image files to another location.

Welcome to Photos on Mac - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Please tell me why it's not good to copy to a flash drive?
    Glad to hear your library is intact. Flash drives are very unreliable even the most expensive ones that are available are susceptible to errors and loss of data. I do not recommend using one for permanent storage or storing valuable data such as photos.

Thread Information