Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keyboard not "fully" working after battery replacement.

Your Mac's Specs
    A1502
    Hello!

After replacing the battery on my MacBook Pro (Model A1502; early-2015), the trackpad and keyboard have stopped working.

• Initially, the trackpad was working perfectly and just the keyboard was the problem, but now, the trackpad stopped working as well.

• After reading that a common problem is the fragility of the ribbon cable between the trackpad and keyboard, I ordered and replaced this cable, but to no avail. 

• I managed to get ONE key to work on the keyboard for a moment (the ď;Ē key) but that didnít last long. 

• I followed this video tutorial for the battery replacement YouTube
    • Update: I managed to get everything back to the initial state it was in; the trackpad working fine again, as well as the ď;Ē key on the keyboard, but no other keys. 

Given the circumstance, I am wondering if this could be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere (though I believe I have tightly secured all connections), however, I donít believe this has anything to do with a physically faulty keyboard or trackpad, given that they both did work momentarily. Iím kindly asking if replacement of keyboard and trackpad can be avoided here.

The Apple Store isnít much help here in the Metro Detroit area so Iím trying to fix this myself. In fact, theyíre just pushing me to upgrade to a newer laptop. Super frustrating response.

Any suggestions? =)

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I had to have a faulty battery replaced on a 2year old MBP 12" 2015 model and Apple told me that replacement of the keyboard and trackpad was a necessity but since it was done under warranty I didn't question it.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    My 2015 model was recalled because of the fire issue - keyboard and trackpad replaced at same time.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Sorry we can't be of more help, but as a standard repair procedure Apple replaces the keyboard, trackpad, and top case on that model when they replace the battery. And by the way, viewing that YouTube video shows how complex and advanced it is to remove the battery. Not sure I would have attempted it myself. Lots to go wrong.

Let us know if you figure it out.

Your Mac's Specs
    A1502
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Sorry we can't be of more help, but as a standard repair procedure Apple replaces the keyboard, trackpad, and top case on that model when they replace the battery. And by the way, viewing that YouTube video shows how complex and advanced it is to remove the battery. Not sure I would have attempted it myself. Lots to go wrong.

Let us know if you figure it out.
    Chscag, I appreciate your shared experience, but I have seen the battery replaced on this model many times without keyboard and trackpad replacement. The fact that the trackpad and keyboard intermittently work strongly suggests a lose connection, and strongly suggests that it is NOT necessary to replace the keyboard and/or trackpad.

I'm also an engineer and was confident in my ability to change the battery, but obviously something came loose and I am just wondering if anyone can help me identify that issue a bit faster from their own experience.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, maybe more relevant to securing cable connections?

I am kindly asking this thread remains open in case someone sees this within the next month or so. Seems like the battery swelling issue is happening in synchrony with many MacBook Pros (typically 2013-2015).

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by jordaniite View Post

I am kindly asking this thread remains open in case someone sees this within the next month or so. Seems like the battery swelling issue is happening in synchrony with many MacBook Pros (typically 2013-2015).
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't have an answer fro your question but since you're new here you might not have noticed that we don't just close threads here. As a general rule threads are left open and only closed when they have clearly run their useful course or something else indicates that it's necessary (such as when a thread becomes a target for spammers).

We routinely have members add comments to older threads with no problems although once a thread has been around a while we recommend starting a new thread rather than adding to an existing thread.
    ďHard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.Ē
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You can look here, MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Early 2015 Battery Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide, to see if you notice what (if any) steps may have been skipped missed?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    I think Apple may simply view it from the point of view that if they replaced the battery only (although I'm sure it's possible) they may run into keyboard or trackpad issues after return to the customer requiring additional time (money) whereas just replacing the whole top layer is less likely to result in returns. It's a bit like Apple's advice line suggesting reinstalling the OS for a minor software problem, it's drastic but probably saves time by ruling out some possibilities.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Apple does what they do because of the way the battery is glued in to the chassis and is actually in several parts. Part of the procedure the OP followed was to apply glue remover before prying the battery loose. He stated that he had done the procedure before so I'm sure that either a connection is broken or some unseen damage may have occurred.

Your Mac's Specs
    Gee, I didn't know it was glued on. I should check the iFixit site just for reference. Not that I would ever attempt it myself

Have you attempted PRAM reset? SMC reset? NVRAM reset?
    You can use an external mouse and keyboard in the mean time.
    Check system Management. And look at doing AHT tests.
    When you change the battery, it may have reset something the wrong way on boot.
    But AHT or ASD tests will tell you more.
    Plus that cable for the keyboard is easily shorted. And static too to be aware of.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac i5 8gb 500gb Samsung SSD & etc, etc.
    Hello!

After replacing the battery on my MacBook Pro (Model A1502; early-2015), the trackpad and keyboard have stopped working.

• Initially, the trackpad was working perfectly and just the keyboard was the problem, but now, the trackpad stopped working as well.

• After reading that a common problem is the fragility of the ribbon cable between the trackpad and keyboard, I ordered and replaced this cable, but to no avail. 

• I managed to get ONE key to work on the keyboard for a moment (the ď;Ē key) but that didnít last long. 

• I followed this video tutorial for the battery replacement YouTube
    • Update: I managed to get everything back to the initial state it was in; the trackpad working fine again, as well as the ď;Ē key on the keyboard, but no other keys. 

Given the circumstance, I am wondering if this could be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere (though I believe I have tightly secured all connections), however, I donít believe this has anything to do with a physically faulty keyboard or trackpad, given that they both did work momentarily. Iím kindly asking if replacement of keyboard and trackpad can be avoided here.

The Apple Store isnít much help here in the Metro Detroit area so Iím trying to fix this myself. In fact, theyíre just pushing me to upgrade to a newer laptop. Super frustrating response.

Any suggestions? =)
    I had a similar problem with an older MBP after battery replacement. It was solved by doing the SMC and PRAM resets. Simple and quick. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Notebooksquad View Post
    Have you attempted PRAM reset? SMC reset? NVRAM reset?
    You can use an external mouse and keyboard in the mean time.
    Check system Management. And look at doing AHT tests.
    When you change the battery, it may have reset something the wrong way on boot.
    But AHT or ASD tests will tell you more.
    Plus that cable for the keyboard is easily shorted. And static too to be aware of.
    I meant keyboard FLEX cable.
    Maybe it was loose, and is now barely connected to system MB.

Your Mac's Specs
    A1502
    Hello everyone,
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Turns out, the logic bored was fried from a bad battery. Rossmann Repair Group in New York replaced the logic bored for me for about $400. It was a pretty penny, but totally worth it to avoid the new MacBook Pros. :

Hello everyone,
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Turns out, the logic bored was fried from a bad battery. Rossmann Repair Group in New York replaced the logic bored for me for about $400. It was a pretty penny, but totally worth it to avoid the new MacBook Pros. :
    Weird.
    Louis swapped the board from a bad battery problem.
    Unusual for him to do so, as this isn't a hard fix.
    And he has done many before.

Usually only a couple hundred bucks to fix.
    And rather easy.

Thread Information