Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Mid 2012 MBP startup issues.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012. Intel i7. 2.3 GHz.
    Tried to start up my mbp today and all seemed fine but when the startup sound goes it runs as normal but the screen is black so cannot see to log in. I tried shutting down and restarting several times and on about the 10th attempt the screen did come up with the recovery page but only gave me the option to reset my password for log in.i reset my password which was confirmed and restarted the Mac but had the same problem, just a black screen. I tried twice more with the same result. I have tried using cmd R, shift option R and all the other options for starting up with recovery page but none worked. I tried resetting SMC, and tried restarting with my old hardrive but still the same. Any suggestions please.
    Macs and PC's are just like women. Just as you think you know them they throw you a curved ball.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thx for the reply Ferrari. I tried most of the Apple support options including different key combos and reinstalling the OS earlier but not being able to see the screen or see to log into internet makes life hard. If I could actually get into recovery mode I would reinstall or use time machine backup. I will look again tomorrow on Apple support and try again.
    Macs and PC's are just like women. Just as you think you know them they throw you a curved ball.

Your Mac's Specs
    UPDATE. Have tried all I can find from Apple support with no joy. MB now with my local apple repair guy. Fingers crossed.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    UPDATE. Have tried all I can find from Apple support with no joy. MB now with my local apple repair guy. Fingers crossed.
    Now up & running again. Firmware and startup disk had become corrupted disabling the backlight on the screen and preventing boot up. Probably due to upgrading to Catalina which I had done the previous night before the problems began. Now back on Mojave which seems fine. Hope this may help someone in the future.

Thread Information