Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

dysfunctional trackpad cure?

Your Mac's Specs
    2013 ,15" MBPR, 2.3GHZ i7, 8GB DDR3, 250GB SSD, Sierra 10.12.2
    I had problems with a misbehaving trackpad that wouldnt click but it behaved normally again for over ~ month. then today misbehaved again. am I superstitious, but immediately after putting me mbpr on my old but cooling coolmaster with its one wide fan on, with the width of the base of my 15” mbpr, my trackpad has immediaely returned to normal again?! The wireless mouse which had worked fine when the trackpad really was misbehaving ~2months ago, wouldnt left click either, all until mbpr put on coolmaster which really does seem to have worked miracles, as both working fine. l am really unsure what explains this, the swelling battery as some have said? not sure, since when you quickly do repeated strokes on your trackpad or move mouse quickly the cursor would magnify, it wouldnt before the coolmaster. also moving the cursor towards the hidden menu bar, use to bring out the software icons, but that wouldnt work either. Is this really a cure or temporary cure for unclicking trackpads? Hope someone else can benefit from this. guess any cooling base should work

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    A quick test for you is to get a straightedge (ruler, anything with a straight edge on it) and put it on the keyboard between the trackpad and the keyboard running from side to side. It should touch all along the length. If there is a bulge in the middle so the straightedge rocks, the battery is pushing up on the top case and trackpad. There may be a similar bulge on the back case as well. You can do this check without even opening the case at all.

Cooling *might* be shrinking the battery slightly, but I suspect it really isn't related.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2013 ,15" MBPR, 2.3GHZ i7, 8GB DDR3, 250GB SSD, Sierra 10.12.2
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    A quick test for you is to get a straightedge (ruler, anything with a straight edge on it) and put it on the keyboard between the trackpad and the keyboard running from side to side. It should touch all along the length. If there is a bulge in the middle so the straightedge rocks, the battery is pushing up on the top case and trackpad. There may be a similar bulge on the back case as well. You can do this check without even opening the case at all.

Cooling *might* be shrinking the battery slightly, but I suspect it really isn't related.
    Checked with a ruler, seems flat, also looked at it from laptop level, seems perfectly flat, well it should be as there trackpad currently behaving. l will give it a check next time it misbehaves. so only way to deal with it is to get the battery replaced? l will also try the coolmaster laptop cooler next time it happens to see if it works again. can you explain why even the wireless mouse was faulty, not being able to left click, similar to the trackpad, sounds mysterious and software related. last time trackpad meibehaved around august, the wireless mouse would be perfect remedy.
    l just hope the new mbpr dont have to go through, any news there? in last apple presentation only news on the iphone replacement?

Your Mac's Specs
    If the battery is swelling it is dangerous and would need to be replaced. It might be that if the battery pushes up against the trackpad that the system sees the "click" switch as closed and the mouse cannot override that signal. I don't know how Apple determines which to follow, sorry. But if the straightedge is touching all along, there isn't much swelling showing, so it probably is not the battery. Every swelling issue I have heard about had case bulging.
    Jake

so only way to deal with it is to get the battery replaced?

Do you not have or used a copy of Coconut Battery.app???

Coconut Battery
    coconutBattery 3.8 - by coconut-flavour.com

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, while Coconut Battery is excellent at what it does, it does NOT detect swelling. And a swollen battery may well perform up to standard. The problem with a swelling battery is that hydrogen gas is being generated by impurities in the battery, usually very small traces in the lithium. Swelling battery is a problem that needs visual diagnostics.
    Jake

Patrick, while Coconut Battery is excellent at what it does, it does NOT detect swelling.

Thanks Jake, and I did know that, but I was just suggesting it to the OP in case it might help them understand the current state of their battery (no pun intended) and maybe even help them rationalize the purchaase of a new replacement.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Just wanted to make sure, Patrick. It's a bit of a bummer that the physical problem of swelling has not electronic/electric symptoms.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Just wanted to make sure, Patrick. It's a bit of a bummer that the physical problem of swelling has not electronic/electric symptoms.
    Yes, in many cases I've had unibody MacBook Pro's batteries swell pushing off the base, and the countersunk heads of screws rip through the base, yet the battery passes Apple's MRI diagnostic.
    Steve
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
    Yes, in many cases I've had unibody MacBook Pro's batteries swell pushing off the base, and the countersunk heads of screws rip through the base, yet the battery passes Apple's MRI diagnostic.

I have never come across such a case like that, and neither have I come across a swollen battery that's actually working anywhere near close to normal. But I'm sure it can happen.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    That is very curious, Patrick. I've had three batteries (only one Apple) swell up and each one performed perfectly despite the swelling. The cause of the swelling really should not impact electrical performance of the battery. Wonder why you had the opposite experience?
    Jake

Wonder why you had the opposite experience?

I'd guess that it was due to the batteries I was dealing with were very old and well past their normal working life, and also very swollen.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Ah, that could be it. They didn't perform because they were old, not necessarily because they were swollen. My three were relatively young batteries (all under two years) when they started to swell.
    Jake

Thread Information