Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2014 Macbook Pro Retina 13" 2.6GHz shuts down while sleeping

Your Mac's Specs
    2014 Mac Book Pro Retina 13" 2.6 GHz
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have trying to track down information for an ongoing issue. I recently replaced my SSD with an Aura N 1TB SSD from OWC. The issue began occurring after the second to last Mojave update. After I close the lid for the night, and open it back up in the morning, it is no longer running. When I turn on the power, it does the startup chime twice and slowly boots back up. I have reset the SMC and PRAM multiple times, I've checked/unchecked all of the right boxes under Energy Saver, and I've disabled/re-enabled Firevault, and have also had diagnostics ran on it by an Apple tech. Oddly, the other day, I was using my cell as a hot spot and left the wifi off afterwards. The next morning I noticed, that to my amazement, it didn't shut down overnight. For whatever reason, when the wifi is disabled it does not suffer from the shutdown issue that has been giving me grief. Is there a solution for this? It feels like I've been going in circles. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Have you checked for more updates? I know there was one very recently.

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update, or here for more, Apple - Support - Downloads.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update, or here for more, Apple - Support - Downloads.
    You bet. I just installed the latest version of Mojave 10.14.6 last week and the issue still prevails. I just ran through a bunch of my 32 bit apps with launch daemons, and am hoping that the route of this issue is out of date software.

- - - Updated - - -

root*

I just ran through a bunch of my 32 bit apps with launch daemons, and am hoping that the route of this issue is out of date software.

Try booting using Safe Boot Mode and it should kill any such third party software IF it was the cause, and see if things work any better or as expected.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post

I went back and noticed the "supplemental update". Thanks again!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Try booting using Safe Boot Mode and it should kill any such third party software IF it was the cause, and see if things work any better or as expected.

- Patrick
    ======
    Turns out I missed the very latest supplemental update. Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping this update is the fix, and if not I will try booting up in Safe Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkannos View Post
    Turns out I missed the very latest supplemental update. Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping this update is the fix, and if not I will try booting up in Safe Mode.

Let's hope it fixes your problem, but it seems to be a similar problem for many with the last few recent macOS versions. And there doesn't seem to be any singular, easy to fix cause.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Let's hope it fixes your problem, but it seems to be a similar problem for many with the last few recent macOS versions. And there doesn't seem to be any singular, easy to fix cause.

- Patrick
    ======
    Some of the information I have read implicates the Core i5 being part of the problem. I'll take it with a grain of salt as it was just something I read on the internet. I'm trying to gather info on doing a Logic Board upgrade, as I don't intend on buying a new machine until Apple repeals their "thou shalt not upgrade" mindset. And really, its only a minor annoyance, and the only real problem I've had with it. Hopefully the problem is fixed. I guess I'll shut the lid and give it a few hours and see. Thanks again for the response.

Your Mac's Specs
    No dice. Did the latest supplemental update and when I opened the laptop this morning I got the black screen with the Apple logo and two startup chimes. Gonna restore from an old Time Machine backup and see if it resolves the shutdown issue. Some folks have recommended booting up in Safe Mode, and my question is, what am I looking for in Safe Mode? I don't have any experience with it, and was wanting to know what I should do to troubleshoot this issue while in Safe Mode.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    If you go into System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter, see if Enable Power Nap is checked. If so, Uncheck it.

See if that works. There is some scanty evidence that this might be the culprit: MacBook Pro shutting down when asleep? Here's why | Mac Kung Fu

In any case, a check on your Energy Settings is always worth considering. Whilst there, click on the Schedule box and just check that a scheduled shutdown has not been set.

Ian
    Ian

Some folks have recommended booting up in Safe Mode, and my question is, what am I looking for in Safe Mode? I don't have any experience with it, and was wanting to know what I should do to troubleshoot this issue while in Safe Mode.

As mentioned with the Apple support reference, the safe boot is used as a diagnostic tool and part of a process of elimination.

If things work as they are supposed to when in Boot Mode, then some third-party (non-Apple) software is probably involved with the problem.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    If you go into System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter, see if Enable Power Nap is checked. If so, Uncheck it.

See if that works.
    I did do this a little while back after seeing it posted somewhere. Unfortunately it didn't work in my case, but I'll take a look at the link.

Your Mac's Specs
    I just restored using a Time Machine backup. I'm gonna leave it alone and see if the issue prevails, in which case I'll definitely try to narrow the issue down in Safe Mode.

Thanks for all the help so far

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Whilst there, click on the Schedule box and just check that a scheduled shutdown has not been set.
    I take it that this proved a negative as well?

Anyway, we try and sometimes we succeed. Onward and upward. Please post back.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information