Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2014 Macbook Pro Retina 13" 2.6GHz shuts down while sleeping

Your Mac's Specs
    2014 Mac Book Pro Retina 13" 2.6 GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I take it that this proved a negative as well?

Anyway, we try and sometimes we succeed. Onward and upward. Please post back.

Ian
    Absolutely. Hoping I''m more stubborn than the problem.

I just restored using a Time Machine backup. I'm gonna leave it alone and see if the issue prevails, in which case I'll definitely try to narrow the issue down in Safe Mode.

That's probably not going to do anything to help or improve things unless you had Trashed some critical files. Or even if you had.

A Time Machine backup is not the same thing as a Clone backup.

You might be better off trying and downloading and running an appropriate MacOS COMBO Update, as an OS X installer replacement.

It won't touch your user/data files etc.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post

A Time Machine backup is not the same thing as a Clone backup.

You might be better off trying and downloading and running an appropriate MacOS COMBO Update, as an OS X installer replacement.

It won't touch your user/data files etc.

======
    SOLVED (hopefully)

Happy to report that the issue seems to be resolved by reverting to an old Time Machine backup (Mojave 10.14.3). I woke up this morning and opened up the lid to find everything as I had left it, the night previous. So, I'm going to assume that, at the very least, I have a backup now that I can revert to if the issue returns when I update 10.14.6. This is also all very new to me, as it's the first real issue I've ever had with a MacBook.

I'm unfamiliar with a "clone backup".

I'm unfamiliar with a "clone backup".

Try a google search:
    what is mac clone backup
    what is mac clone backup - Google Search

BTW: Congratulations on your seemingly and apparent proper working macOS restoration.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post

BTW: Congratulations on your seemingly and apparent proper working macOS restoration.

======
    Thanks Patrick. Two days and everything is running as good as ever. Still waiting to update to the latest OS version, to see if the issue returns. Hopefully whatever software was causing the issue has been purged.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkannos View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have trying to track down information for an ongoing issue. I recently replaced my SSD with an Aura N 1TB SSD from OWC. The issue began occurring after the second to last Mojave update. After I close the lid for the night, and open it back up in the morning, it is no longer running. When I turn on the power, it does the startup chime twice and slowly boots back up. I have reset the SMC and PRAM multiple times, I've checked/unchecked all of the right boxes under Energy Saver, and I've disabled/re-enabled Firevault, and have also had diagnostics ran on it by an Apple tech. Oddly, the other day, I was using my cell as a hot spot and left the wifi off afterwards. The next morning I noticed, that to my amazement, it didn't shut down overnight. For whatever reason, when the wifi is disabled it does not suffer from the shutdown issue that has been giving me grief. Is there a solution for this? It feels like I've been going in circles. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    The OWC Aura SSD drives suffer from some sort of hardware fault. I am on the third generation Aura Pro in my Mac Pro. Not the same machine, but similar symptoms. It would crash on waking from sleep. As I understand it, the drive doesn't respond properly on wake. My machine would wake with a crash report, and it would always show the SSD driver as the culprit. My first drive cost about $650. It constantly crashed the system. They came out with a second gen drive, and since mine was less than a year old, they took it back, and refunded me the difference, since the second gen was about half the price. It suffered from the same issue. When the third gen came out, they offered a buy back on the second gen. It seems to have solved the problem. I believe you are suffering from a hardware problem -- a conflict of sorts between the Apple computer and the SSD driver.

This article on anandtech.com hints at the power issues. Power Management - The OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD Review: An NVMe Upgrade For Older Macs
    This article confirmed my system logs, that the NVMe driver was causing the fault on wake. I don't fully understand it. I almost bought one of the other drives mentioned in the comments, but went with the third-ten Aura Pro X. I haven't seen the kernel panics since changing the SSD.

I know this isn't much help, but it may point you in the direction of a solution.

I know this isn't much help, but it may point you in the direction of a solution.

I'd say that information could be quite valuable and helpful, especially to those who may have the same type of drive and especially the older version and who may be having problems with their Mac.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks a lot. I was actually just coming back to this thread for further insight, as my sleep mode issue is still occurring. It was good for a few days and now it's back. I'll contact OWC as I also have a 1TB Aura Pro SSD.

I also read up on setting the hibernate mode in Terminal to 0. I'm gonna give it a try until I can get the SSD replaced.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I'm sure we've had this same problem posted recently maybe a search on this site would be worth a try. I cant remember if there was a solution found.
    The thing that concerns me it the two chimes at startup. That would seem to indicate a system failure of some sort. Maybe a clean install of the OS? Then a restore from backup if no problem found?
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm sure we've had this same problem posted recently maybe a search on this site would be worth a try. I cant remember if there was a solution found.
    That might have been me. I was on here a few weeks back, posting about this issue. From what I gather the issue has something to do with an NVME compatibility problem. I even took it in to Apple and had them run diagnostics and everything was shown to be good. It's more of a nuisance than a real problem, as everything else functions normally. I just changed my hibernation settings in Terminal and I've contacted the manufacturer of my upgraded SSD to see if I can get a newer version of it. I'll continue to post updates until the issue is resolved.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I just changed my hibernation settings in Terminal and I've contacted the manufacturer of my upgraded SSD to see if I can get a newer version of it. I'll continue to post updates until the issue is resolved.
    Please keep us updated. It sounds like the SSD may have some incompatibility with its firmware. Perhaps the manufacturer can provide a firmware update, and if not, replace the SSD with a newer version.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Please keep us updated.
    ***UPDATE***

Well, it's day one after changing the hibernation settings in terminal, and every time I have opened up my laptop it has woken up as per normal. Also worth noting, is that my battery is also performing well. I received this hibernation mode tip from the ten thousandth comment on the the thread of a YouTube video. The solution in the video did not work, but one of the comments suggested that changing the hibernation mode from the default (3) to zero would rectify the problem, and so far so good. I'll come back with an update if I experience any issues. For anyone else experiencing this issue here is what I did.

1. Open Terminal

2. Enter the following without quotation: "sudo pmset hibernatemode 0"

3. You'll be promoted to enter your administrative password and then just hit enter and done.

I'm not exactly sure what it does and have not looked into it at this time, but it appears to be working. Time will tell.

Your Mac's Specs
    SOLVED!

I am happy to report that after much digging online I have finally found a solution for MacBook's that fail to wake up from hibernation after a 3rd party SSD upgrade. I can say specifically the issue occurs when the factory SSD is replaced with an OWC Aura Pro 2X SSD. I had mentioned earlier that I switched my hibernation mode settings in Terminal from the default value of 3 to 0. I contacted OWC about the issue and their reply was to do the very same. Since changing the setting my computer is finally back to normal. I am hopeful that this thread post will help people dealing with this issue or even those who are considering doing the SSD swap.

Below is the email I received from OWC detailing the workaround.

"A few customers have reported an issue with the Aura relating to "deep" sleep mode. By default the hosts will enter Standby mode after they have been sleeping for 3 hours. When the Mac wakes, while it is in Standby mode, this causes a system crash and you have to restart. If you experience this issue we recommend the following workaround:

Open the Terminal app
    Type the following: sudo pmset -a standby 0
    Press Return
    Quit the Terminal

This prevents the computer from entering Standby mode while the computer is in normal Sleep mode. From this point, allowing the computer to return to sleep and then wake, should prevent the kernel panic from occurring. The system should behave as it normally does. If you need to confirm that the above setting was properly set, open System Report, select the 'Power' option, and then check the 'Standby Enabled' value. It should say 0"

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Great reply. Thank you for your reply and congratulations on solving the problem I will add that to my help files.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ughh, the problem has returned. I think I have the issue now narrowed down to a problem with my OS. I just downloaded Mojave and made it boot-able from a flash drive. I've been reluctant to do a fresh install because it's something I have never done before. I have an up to date backup of my Macbook on an external hard drive. My question is, if I start from scratch with a fresh install, what is the best way to get all of my files back in order from my Time Machine backup?

Thread Information