Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Weird Smudge on screen
    Hey guys,

Has anyone had this smudge on their screen? (mostly the subtle smudge further down the picture)
    MacScreen.jpg

From my understanding it could just be oils from my hand, but I've tried cleaning it with 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and it doesn't budge. I don't think it's behind the screen, right? Doesn't seem like it would be easy to do that.

Thanks for any ideas!

Weird Smudge on screen
    If it was oils or something on top, then it should easily be removed by simple cleaning with a cloth. Be careful with rubbing alcohol as you might remove the protective coating of the screen. You really should use screen cleaners for this work. If your cleaning didn't remove it, there might be a small gap that might have developed between the glass/LCD and the top cover and as such this might be air bubbles.

Can you press that area of the screen and impact its appearance?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Weird Smudge on screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Is this something new? Or has it been happening for a while?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Weird Smudge on screen
    I didn't notice any mention of what particular Mac model it was, but it sure looks like somebody had the display screen apart at some point and failed to follow the directions for Immaculate Cleaning and handling before reassembly.

Either that, or the seal between the actual display and the glass has been broken and allowed dust Etc in which is now trapped inside. Some display units are factory sealed.

And as mentioned, keep the isapropanol and any other type of alcohol off the screen.

- Patrick
    ======

Weird Smudge on screen

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Without the OP stating the model and based upon the picture it looks like a MBPr screen. These have suffered from delamination of the AG coating. Apple do cover replacement under a quality program for up to 4 years from the original date of purchase. MBPr's from 2012/13/14 are now not covered, as are earlier 2015 models. The lower left of the display looks typical of this issue, although the top left looks as if it has been rubbed aggressively or scuffed.
    Steve
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    If it was oils or something on top, then it should easily be removed by simple cleaning with a cloth. Be careful with rubbing alcohol as you might remove the protective coating of the screen. You really should use screen cleaners for this work. If your cleaning didn't remove it, there might be a small gap that might have developed between the glass/LCD and the top cover and as such this might be air bubbles.

Can you press that area of the screen and impact its appearance?
    When I press it, it doesn't seem to make any changes. But it definitely will not wipe off.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Is this something new? Or has it been happening for a while?
    I mean, I've had some of those oil-like smudges before that I've been able to wipe off with water and a cloth and enough time scrubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I didn't notice any mention of what particular Mac model it was, but it sure looks like somebody had the display screen apart at some point and failed to follow the directions for Immaculate Cleaning and handling before reassembly.

Either that, or the seal between the actual display and the glass has been broken and allowed dust Etc in which is now trapped inside. Some display units are factory sealed.

And as mentioned, keep the isapropanol and any other type of alcohol off the screen.

- Patrick
    ======
    Good to know about the Isopropyl - Honestly just watched a video that had good reviews and he mentioned that working. The screen has never been removed by myself. It's a work computer that I've had for 4 years and it's a mid-2014 MBPr. 13 inch.

Looks like it existed a year or so before I got it, not sure if there's any history before that, but I think I would have noticed problems earlier if so.

Quote Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
    Without the OP stating the model and based upon the picture it looks like a MBPr screen. These have suffered from delamination of the AG coating. Apple do cover replacement under a quality program for up to 4 years from the original date of purchase. MBPr's from 2012/13/14 are now not covered, as are earlier 2015 models. The lower left of the display looks typical of this issue, although the top left looks as if it has been rubbed aggressively or scuffed.
    Yeah it's 2014 so would not be covered. The top of the screen was never rubbed with what I would call damaging aggression, but I'm also not a MacBook screen expert

Weird Smudge on screen
    How obvious are the "smudges" when using a more normal desktop background color, ie: a much lighter color and no black???

With no real appologies to the "Dark Mode" school of users.

- Patrick
    ======

Weird Smudge on screen

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Be careful with rubbing alcohol as you might remove the protective coating of the screen. You really should use screen cleaners for this work.
    For anyone else reading this. Dead right. IPA or similar alcohol can strip off the AR coating, or if the problem is already there, make it far worse.
    Steve
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    How obvious are the "smudges" when using a more normal desktop background color, ie: a much lighter color and no black???

With no real appologies to the "Dark Mode" school of users.

- Patrick
    ======
    Not noticeable at all, they are on the black bar on the side (fortunately). That's why i thought it was from my fingers opening and closing. it's essentially something I can live with, but loving my tech pristine, wish I could clean it!

Weird Smudge on screen
    Not noticeable at all, they are on the black bar on the side (fortunately).

So just forget that the issue even exists and call it fixed. ie: Ignored and not to be noticed or remembered. And a heck of a lot easier and cheaper than attempting a "repair" or fix.

- Patrick
    ======

Weird Smudge on screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Late 2009 32GB Intel Core i7 27" OSX 10.13.6
    this can't be cleaned off as the coating has came off the glass that covers the LCD panel

so sadly its only repairable by either replacing the display unit or the glass panel itself providing its not glued to the LCD.
    Mac Pro 5,1
    128GB Ram
    Mac OSX 10.14.5
    512GB NVME 2TB x4

Thread Information