Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Macbook Air unable to access internet
    Howdy,
    This is a long shot, but I support an office that has about 6 Mac users, all of whom are able
    to access network resources except for one.

None of the macs are on our domain, so in order to access everything, they have to be hardwired (for
    printing and network share drive access), and connected to the office wireless, which provides
    internet access (both internal corp sites, and general sites such as Yahoo, CNN etc...)

For whatever reason, this particular mac, when connected both via hard wire and wireless, cannot
    access pretty much any internet site, nor can they connect to the office printer and share drive.

To add to the interesting factor, the office has 2 wireless options. The older one, which is in the process
    of being taken down, shouldn't provide any internet access, but it's the only one he can connect to
    that will give him internet. The new/current wireless (which the other Macs use), which should give
    him internet, does not. You get a "Page not found" and/or "Site cannot be reached" (depending on
    whether it's chrome or Safari)

I've checked the IP settings for both wireless and wired, and he's getting the correct IP addresses.
    I've tried patching him into a different port on our switch, rebooted the mac 3+ times, set network
    preferences so that wireless was first etc...

I even tried hard coding the wireless he should be using - that should give him internet - with a static
    IP, and that didn't work.

Some more info:

MAC: Macbook Air / Mojave 10.14.1

Other Macs in the office do not have this issue.

Current connection setup: Wall port > phone > Mac display/monitor > Air Book (via an adaptor) **

** we piggy pack internet off of Cisco IP phones. I can't directly connect the Mac to the network port
    as he does not have an adapter.

I've also tried to take him off the wired connection and just use wireless, but that didn't work either.

User has a concurrent wired and wireless connection

When the Macbook is connected to hard wire and the old wireless (NGK_WIFI) he can get internet, but no NGKF sites (or outlook)
    When the Macbook is connected to hard wire and the new/current wireless (NGK_wireless), he gets no internet and NGKF sites (and outlook)

Not being too savvy with Macs, is there some sort of "flush DNS" or a mac equivalent of resetting the network settings that I might
    be able to try?

Or... anything else that I could do to troubleshoot.

Thanks, and if anyone needs any additional info, please let me know.

Or... anything else that I could do to troubleshoot.

On the troublesome Mac, have you tried opening the System Preferences > Network perf pane, and start by clicking the Assist me box and then try clicking the Diagnostics... box and follow directions.

It sounds to me like you are using one device with new technology and the other device using old technology or settings and they just do not understand or work together properly.

- Patrick
    ======

Thanks. I have not. I'm in a diff. office now, but have relayed that info to the User and
    we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

Is there another way to run this command?

I found some info here: How to reset DNS or flush DNS on Apple Mac that runs on macOS Mojave

But the user said running this (via Terminal) didn't work: sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder; sleep 2;

In macOS Mojave devices, flushing DNS cache is done this way:

Open the Terminal app using the keyboard shortcut Command + Space bar.
    Then type in Terminal and press the Enter key.
    Copy this command into Terminal: sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder; sleep 2;
    Then hit the Enter key.
    Enter the correct password for your macOS and press Enter again to continue.
    Quit Terminal using the keyboard shortcut Command + Q.
    Your DNS cache should now be cleared or flushed.

Update. User also reported his mac couldn't connect to his wifi at home either.

He brought it into an Apple store and they "created a new network", and now it's working.

Not sure how that's done, or what that entails, but I guess he's back up and running now.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    He brought it into an Apple store and they "created a new network", and now it's working.
    What they did is clear out all his old network settings and set him up with a new network. Actually that's quite easy to do at home without having to take it to Apple. Anyway, glad to hear that it worked out for him. Thanks for letting us know.

Ha! Easy for you to say

I don't suppose there's a link/site you can point me towards that would have info on how to do this?

Probably will come in handy.

I don't suppose there's a link/site you can point me towards that would have info on how to do this?

A Google search has lots of them, just pick a few and have a look:
    Mac delete old network settings and set up a new network
    Mac delete old network settings and set up a new network - Google Search

- Patrick
    ======

Ahh.. I didn't realize it was that simple - thanks!!

Thread Information