Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Is is a hard drive cable or SSD drive issue?
    Hi,
    A couple years ago I had freezes and issues booting into the SSD i had put into my Macbook Pro mid 2012. After plenty experimenting with drive repairs / reinstalls I ended up replacing the internal hard drive cable which fixed the problem. A couple years on the same thing has happened.

What is confusing me is that if I put the SSD into an external enclosure and boot from it it runs just fine. If I put the original macbook hard drive back inside it also runs just fine (but slower obviously).

If the cable is problematic why would the old drive work fine but the SSD doesn't. If the SSD is problematic why would it work outside but not inside?? Am stumped as to whether to get a new SSd or another new cable...
    Thanks in advance

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Welcome to the forum.

"Why?" is a question that is not really germane to the situation. You have, with your experimentation, proven that the SSD is good and that the rest of the MBP is good. The only component left to cause the SSD not to work is the cable. Get a replacement for it and get it working well.

As for potential "why" answers, most cables fail with some sort of micro-fissure in the very thin conductors. The metal in those conductors expand and contract just a bit with changes in temperature. The amount of data flowing over the cable is greater with the SSD than the HD. Data is current, and current produces heat. It may only be a few tenths of a degree warmer, but that may be all that is needed to open the micro fissure sufficient for the data not to get through accurately. We don't know if that is your problem, but it really doesn't matter. The cable needs replacing.
    Jake

Thanks - that does go a long way to answering the why ;-) I'll try another new cable

Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2012 i7 13" MBP & PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad 8GB QFX
    Those cable failures are super common in my experience. Think about it, if you replaced the cable a few years ago, your MBP may have only been 2-4 years old. Well it is about 2-4 years since then, so the cable is probably due for a replacement. Think of it as a car oil change.

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by rfomlover View Post
    Those cable failures are super common in my experience. Think about it, if you replaced the cable a few years ago, your MBP may have only been 2-4 years old. Well it is about 2-4 years since then, so the cable is probably due for a replacement. Think of it as a car oil change.
    The HD cables were unreliable, Apple would have replaced the cable FOC if under 3 years old. To increase reliability they stopped shipping them in anti static bags and switched to a white plastic shaped case that protected the cable prior to fitting. Also foam pads were added to the black bar that locks the HD in position. Even after all that I still see them fail again.
    Steve
    UK

Thread Information