Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

2012 mbpr trackpad failure

Your Mac's Specs
    2013 ,15" MBPR, 2.3GHZ i7, 8GB DDR3, 250GB SSD, Sierra 10.12.2
    my trackpad has always been used very gently with the lightest of taps, but it is failing on me now, it highlights things and clicks things as if it has a mind of its own, is this a common problem and easy to fix? i am planning to buy a cheap wireless mouse in meantime so I can at least depend on it for my trading software., it is failing to depress or recess when I click or press down on it acting like it was just a flat piece of smooth plastic sheet, what would I be expected to pay to get the trackpad repaired at apple? updated to latest 10.14.6
    and did 'option control shift' and power on button for 5secs, no real help. tried ot search for plist files and could nt find any to delete as suggested by MacBook Trackpad Not Working? 4 Troubleshooting Tips to Try

any suggestions? to get this mysterious trackpad inability to act as normal? thanks so much in advance

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The first thing to check is your battery condition. Open up the machine and check to see that the battery has not swelled (expanded). What you described is a common occurrence when the battery begins or has swelled and is touching or pushing the trackpad from below.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    The first thing to check is your battery condition. Open up the machine and check to see that the battery has not swelled (expanded). What you described is a common occurrence when the battery begins or has swelled and is touching or pushing the trackpad from below.
    I have read cases like this on net, thing is I certainly can't open, as it is a mbpr with built in battery. special screw drivers are needed.
    for some mysterious reason, it seems working again. maybe it sensed fear with me calling in the mac vets of this forum in! seriously, what is the cause of this horrible unruly trackpad experience? I did update to the latest software, but it still continued after several start ups, even up to this morning, till this last start up. praying its good behaviour will continue. for a temporary fix, a wireless mouse would alleviate this problem too right? as l may buy incase this occurs again.

update- its not working again , get wireless mouse?
    Last edited by Applet; 07-31-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: update

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    99% of the time the trackpad problems you cite are caused by a swelling battery. If you don't want to get the tools to open it to see, you should definitely take it to someone who has the tools to open the back. Swelling batteries are dangerous. You can get the tools very inexpensively in most places.

There is one check for a really badly swollen battery. Take a ruler or straightedge that is truly straight and hold it on edge across the trackpad and case from edge to edge. It should touch all along the length of the ruler. A swollen battery will push up the case in the middle, with a bow forming that prevents the end of the ruler from touching on both edges of the case at the same time.

The "good behaviour" will NOT continue with a swollen battery. It will get worse. You are at risk of fire with the battery as it is.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    99% of the time the trackpad problems you cite are caused by a swelling battery. If you don't want to get the tools to open it to see, you should definitely take it to someone who has the tools to open the back. Swelling batteries are dangerous. You can get the tools very inexpensively in most places.

There is one check for a really badly swollen battery. Take a ruler or straightedge that is truly straight and hold it on edge across the trackpad and case from edge to edge. It should touch all along the length of the ruler. A swollen battery will push up the case in the middle, with a bow forming that prevents the end of the ruler from touching on both edges of the case at the same time.

The "good behaviour" will NOT continue with a swollen battery. It will get worse. You are at risk of fire with the battery as it is.
    so are you suggesting a new battery? it was replaced about 2-3 years ago at apple store. as l am writing this, my mbpr has been on for about an hour, and is working fine again l had read it could be dirt build up under the track pad? why are you 99% confident it is a swollen battery? my battery seems perfectly healthy. again a wireless mouse would allow use of the cursor?Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 03.43.27.png

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Did you do the test with the ruler? The reason I'm fairly confident is that I've had two swollen batteries, both pushing up on the trackpad and producing exactly your symptoms, and both had replacement batteries put in and now work just fine. Neither swollen battery had shown any other symptoms and appeared to be working "just fine." So look to see if it's swollen and if it is, get it changed.

What causes swelling is hydrogen gas the battery generates. The hydrogen builds up pressure, the battery swells and if you don't dispose of it, will eventually rupture. Hydrogen + air plus one spark = fire, very hot fire.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Did you do the test with the ruler? The reason I'm fairly confident is that I've had two swollen batteries, both pushing up on the trackpad and producing exactly your symptoms, and both had replacement batteries put in and now work just fine. Neither swollen battery had shown any other symptoms and appeared to be working "just fine." So look to see if it's swollen and if it is, get it changed.

What causes swelling is hydrogen gas the battery generates. The hydrogen builds up pressure, the battery swells and if you don't dispose of it, will eventually rupture. Hydrogen + air plus one spark = fire, very hot fire.
    battery swelling could be the problem, because it has happened to you twice doesn't make it a significant sample size for you to say with 99% certainity. actually my trackpad has being behaving ever since. but have bought a wireless mouse incase. some other reasons like not updating the software or dirt build up under trackpad could also be reasons. l keep praying to the mac gods for it to continue as normal

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Okay, I guess you want to do it your way. That's fine with us, it's your machine and your money.

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by Applet View Post
    battery swelling could be the problem, because it has happened to you twice doesn't make it a significant sample size for you to say with 99% certainity. actually my trackpad has being behaving ever since. but have bought a wireless mouse incase. some other reasons like not updating the software or dirt build up under trackpad could also be reasons. l keep praying to the mac gods for it to continue as normal
    Your 15" MBPr battery is made up of 6 cells that are bonded to the underside of the top case, they may not all be at the same depth for the ruler check. Also there is a metal plate between the 2 central cells and the trackpad. It's likely the base cover would show signs of distortion before it could effect the trackpad. Swelling batteries commonly effect the trackpad movement on earlier MBP's. If you were to remove the base it is easy to spot batteries starting to swell as their black cover starts to puff up. On your MBPr the trackpad isn't a user replaceable part, nor is it replaced by Apple or an AASP, the top case would require replacement. Not as cheap as having a top case replaced for a confirmed battery issue. Aside, swelling batteries will often function normally and pass Apple's diagnostics.
    Steve
    UK

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookAir 2012
    I have this problem with the trackpad on my 2012 MacBook Air. The first time it occured I took it to the Apple Store and they repaired it while waiting. A couple of years later the problem returned and Apple wouldn't repair it because they said it was vintage. They didn't have the parts.

My pad still works but only in the bottom right hand corner. And, of course, I can use the mouse.

BTW, my problem wasn't because of a swollen battery. Some small part that makes the pad work was no longer functioning.

If your problem is a swollen battery, I have read that Apple charges an arm and a leg to repair it so you might want to check out other forums on how to do it yourself or go to MacRumors.
    How likely is Apple to fix swollen battery out of warranty? | MacRumors Forums

You can also check out YouTube for videos on how to change the battery.
    Last edited by Beaneysue42; 08-03-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaneysue42 View Post
    I have this problem with the trackpad on my 2012 MacBook Air. The first time it occured I took it to the Apple Store and they repaired it while waiting. A couple of years later the problem returned and Apple wouldn't repair it because they said it was vintage. They didn't have the parts.

My pad still works but only in the bottom right hand corner. And, of course, I can use the mouse.

BTW, my problem wasn't because of a swollen battery. Some small part that makes the pad work was no longer functioning.

If your problem is a swollen battery, I have read that Apple charges an arm and a leg to repair it so you might want to check out other forums on how to do it yourself or go to MacRumors.
    How likely is Apple to fix swollen battery out of warranty? | MacRumors Forums

You can also check out YouTube for videos on how to change the battery.
    All the MacBook Air's up to the 2018 model have easily replaceable batteries held in with torx screws. OOW Apple have reduced prices for failed or bulging batteries in MBPr's. Yes, the batteries can be removed, but this isn't undertaken by an ARS or AASP, they only offer a top case with battery replacement. In removing a MBPr battery there are inherent dangers, especially if the battery isn't completely discharged. Additionally, the quality of third party batteries for the MBPr range is very variable. If a third party battery was fitted or in fitting damage was done, you then couldn't get the top case with battery replaced by an ARS or AASP.

Re your MBA 2012, I've seen either the flexures holding the trackpad or dried liquid between the top case and the trackpad edges causing the problem you had. Re your comment on your 2012 MBA being vintage and Apple not having spares. With earlier models Apple used to give 3-4 weeks notice before becoming vintage, and spares, unless used on later models, were no longer available. Now, since 2012 models, they say spares will still be available while stocks last. Only a week ago I replaced a trackpad supplied by Apple in a 2012 MBA. The impression I get is that with older Macs Apple are more interested in supplying new kit than repairs, but this can vary between stores.
    Steve
    UK

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
    All the MacBook Air's up to the 2018 model have easily replaceable batteries held in with torx screws. OOW Apple have reduced prices for failed or bulging batteries in MBPr's. Yes, the batteries can be removed, but this isn't undertaken by an ARS or AASP, they only offer a top case with battery replacement. In removing a MBPr battery there are inherent dangers, especially if the battery isn't completely discharged. Additionally, the quality of third party batteries for the MBPr range is very variable. If a third party battery was fitted or in fitting damage was done, you then couldn't get the top case with battery replaced by an ARS or AASP.

Re your MBA 2012, I've seen either the flexures holding the trackpad or dried liquid between the top case and the trackpad edges causing the problem you had. Re your comment on your 2012 MBA being vintage and Apple not having spares. With earlier models Apple used to give 3-4 weeks notice before becoming vintage, and spares, unless used on later models, were no longer available. Now, since 2012 models, they say spares will still be available while stocks last. Only a week ago I replaced a trackpad supplied by Apple in a 2012 MBA. The impression I get is that with older Macs Apple are more interested in supplying new kit than repairs, but this can vary between stores.
    just quick update, the track pad has been mysteriously problem free. if it was battery, wouldn't it be getting worse? when i posted about it, it was awful, unusable. if it isnt the battery what else could it be?

Thread Information