Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Have I been scammed?
    Just had my 2011 mb pro returned after buyer bought then returned after 1 day (not via this site). Was sold not working for parts. I removed the HD for security, but it still booted partially until white screen with folder icon. Now after being returned it wont do anything. I'm thinking it's been harvested, but for what? Can anyone advise what to look for, or what someone might likely steal? I removed the base plate but cant see anything obviously missing.

Thanks for any advice

Have I been scammed?
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    If you still have the hard drive, you could put that back in and test the MBP? You could look at fixit.com, MacBook Pro Repair - iFixit, find your screen size and model year, look at a tear down guide, and compare the parts?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Have I been scammed?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Memory still there?
    Jake

Have I been scammed?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Memory still there?

I guess that's a possibility that someone would actually remove any, but it's really hard to believe that any person would actually stoop that low. But I guess they do exist and sometimes crawl out of the septic swamp where they live.

- Patrick
    ======

Have I been scammed?
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Unfortunately, harvesting scammers do exist out there. Unless you took pictures of the logic board and internals, it's near impossible for anyone on here to tell you if something is missing. Chip components are becoming SUPER rare to buy off the new/used/black market! One easy way for someone to acquire these components for FREE is by buying a used computer on EBAY, taking out the small component they need, and then filing a complaint in order to return it. It sucks, and it happens a lot on EBAY, Craigslist, and ESPECIALLY AMAZON!! This is why I mark the internals of every component I can when selling electronics.

Post a picture of the inside anyways. I'm still curios and want to see!
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Have I been scammed?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Nowadays, your chances of being scammed on eBay, Swappa, Craig's List, or any other "deals" site is very high. There are many horror stories you can read about by going to any of the popular review pages on the web. Stories of iPhones being sold that wound up locked because they were stolen, etc.

When we decided to get a new iPhone, I followed Apple's instructions to the letter with our older phone and then gave it to a church friend. She couldn't afford one of her own and is still using the phone we gave to this day. I just can't understand how someone could be a low-life and cheat someone else.

Have I been scammed?
    It sucks, and it happens a lot on EBAY, Craigslist, and ESPECIALLY AMAZON!! This is why I mark the internals of every component I can when selling electronics.

Hmmm...??? So with such uncouth creeps about, how would marking the internal components change the situation or help prevent any such loss???

They would just end up with a chip or component with whatever your marking was on it and use it regardless. All they have to say it was put on by the manufacturer unless one takes a picture of all the markings one was to put on each component.

But it may just be worth while going to all the work to do so just in case one needs to protect themselves I guess.

- Patrick
    ======

Have I been scammed?
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Because then you would at least be able to prove that something was missing when you file a fraud claim against the buyer. It's fraud! You can go straight to the police with it. I take a quick picture of everything. I have over a thousand transactions on ebay, and have unfortunately learned the hard way that low-life people do exist out there that have no other intent but to scam you. If you are not willing to cover your own behind, you have no recourse in the event something like this happens.

To me, someone committing fraud against me put me in butt-whooping mode. I'd go to the end of the world to get even.
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Thread Information