Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Basic MacBook Pro repair question.
    Greetings,

My late 2012 MacBook Pro hard drive is failing bad. I bought a new OEM hard rive for it (and a new optical drive.) I'm going top install the parts myself (I'm not a computer guy, but am a machinist.)

My question is, once I get the brand new hard drive in my machine, How can I get the basic operating software onto the new drive? I can not find my original CD roms that came with my machine....

Issues:
    1. The optical drive in the machine right now is dead, so if I could even download the basic operating software from a free open source on the net somewhere I can't burn a CD right now to have on hand before the parts change.

2. Could I download the basic op software form some internet source to a jumpdrive or something so I have it prior to replacing the drive?
    Can I install the software to the new h drive from a jump drive? Or a external hard rive? Or what would be the best way to get the basic op software on the new internal drive after I have replaced the Hard drive and optical drive?

I thank you very much and for your patience. I'm a top tier handyman, not a computer whizz.

Tres

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    If it is in fact a 2012 model year MBP, then it did not come with any install discs. Everything was preinstalled, and the internal drive had/still has a Recovery partition.

What Mac OS X/OS X/macOS version is currently installed? Did you buy/purchase/get any of the upgraded OS versions through the Mac App Store? If so, you can still get them from your Purchased page, in the Mac App Store. We, here on the forum, recommend keeping a bootable USB installer handy, and also keeping all of the downloaded Mac OS X/OS X/macOS files on your drive just in case. Use this, to create a modern bootable OS installer, How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You can look at ifixit.com, MacBook Pro Repair - iFixit, and find your model (size & year) and look at the instructions for replacing the optical and internal drives.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

If you don't already currently have an external drive with your backup on it, I would suggest to buy two things:
    * an external hard drive enclosure to put the new drive into
    * a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)

Then format your new HardDrive with Disk Utility and clone your existing boot Drive to the new hard drive.

Then it will be ready to go when you install it into your Mac just the way it was.

Then buy another hard drive and stick it in the enclosure and use it to keep a current backup using CCC.

PS:
    I bought a new OEM hard rive for it
    May I strongly suggest you exchange it for a 7200 RPM HDD or maybe a SDD as most of those 2012 MBPros came with 5400 RPM HDDs.
    Or if nothing else, use the one you just purchased as a backup drive if it's a 5400 RPM variety (ie OEM).

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Greetings,

My late 2012 MacBook Pro hard drive is failing bad. I bought a new OEM hard rive for it (and a new optical drive.) I'm going top install the parts myself (I'm not a computer guy, but am a machinist.)

My question is, once I get the brand new hard drive in my machine, How can I get the basic operating software onto the new drive? I can not find my original CD roms that came with my machine....

Issues:
    1. The optical drive in the machine right now is dead, so if I could even download the basic operating software from a free open source on the net somewhere I can't burn a CD right now to have on hand before the parts change.

2. Could I download the basic op software form some internet source to a jumpdrive or something so I have it prior to replacing the drive?
    Can I install the software to the new h drive from a jump drive? Or a external hard rive? Or what would be the best way to get the basic op software on the new internal drive after I have replaced the Hard drive and optical drive?

I thank you very much and for your patience. I'm a top tier handyman, not a computer whizz.

Tres
    Try "macOS Recovery over the Internet" (Internet Recovery)...last paragraph in the link:

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information