Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cycle count battery replacement

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac book pro, 3.06Ghz intel core 2 due, 4gb memory,version 10.6.8 snow leopard
    Hi all

Iím buying a new (second hand) MacBook Pro but Iím slightly weary as itís a 2017 mid model with only 9 cycle counts, where Iíve seen others around the 130 mark.

If the battery is replaced would the cycle count go back to Zero ?

Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Not sure I understand why you're worried over it? A 2017 MacBook Pro would have to have the battery replaced by Apple in any event. The battery is essentially glued to the chassis and the entire top case would have to be replaced as well.

It appears the MacBook Pro you're buying was used very little or used only on AC power and charged - recharged very little.

To answer your original question regarding the battery... Yes, if Apple replaced it the cycle count would be reset back to zero.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I believe the 2017 were part of the Keyboard replacement program, so maybe the keyboard was replaced, which is why there battery was replaced. See if this helps, Exchange + Repair Extension Programs - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ahhhhh thanks guys, I’m upgrading from a 2010 Mac Pro where the battery could be replaced so guess I don’t need to worry then lol

Apart from asking the seller, is there a way to tell if the battery has been replaced?

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz cooke View Post

Apart from asking the seller, is there a way to tell if the battery has been replaced?
    I would say if it was done properly (Apple Store)...probably not. But if you're in the process of purchasing this computer...it's not like you're going to remove the bottom cover & start poking around in there...while at a coffee shop examining it...with the current owner in front of you. Lol

Maybe something you would do later after purchasing (if necessary).

- Nick

p.s. If you have your doubts about the battery...be frank with the current owner & ask them why the battery cycle count is so low. If they don't give an acceptable answer...walk away from the deal.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Is there a way you can meet the seller at a local Apple store and have them go through the machine while you are both present?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Wish we could but we live in the sticks and not one near

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Would coconutBattery give that information? I think it reads battery data separately.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    This was the back up but only if the seller let’s me,

Your Mac's Specs
    This is the set up of the Mac Pro and also the battery reading looks all ok to me.

Originally I wanted a 32gb ram to future proof myself but going over budget I really can justify spending £2k plus on it. What’s the thoughts on the spec for my usage?

Internet
    Downloads
    Pictures and video small edits/saving
    Open emu game play
    Video watching

70909112-1CDC-47F5-88D2-B45289D225CB.jpeg6F0999C3-4E12-4F9B-AB5E-2A48DE96122D.jpeg

Your Mac's Specs
    This is the set up of the Mac Pro and also the battery reading looks all ok to me.
    Quick note..."Mac Pro's" are desktop computers...I'm assuming we're still talking about a MacBook Pro laptop/portable computer.

Originally I wanted a 32gb ram to future proof myself but going over budget I really can justify spending £2k plus on it.
    I'm assuming you know that if this is a used/2nd hand computer...the RAM is not upgradeable after initial purchase (when brand new). If it has 16gig of RAM now...it will always have 16gig of RAM.

What’s the thoughts on the spec for my usage?

Internet
    Downloads
    Pictures and video small edits/saving
    Open emu game play
    Video watching
    Practically any entry level computer can do this stuff.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Quick note..."Mac Pro's" are desktop computers...I'm assuming we're still talking about a MacBook Pro laptop/portable computer.

I'm assuming you know that if this is a used/2nd hand computer...the RAM is not upgradeable after initial purchase (when brand new). If it has 16gig of RAM now...it will always have 16gig of RAM.

Practically any entry level computer can do this stuff.

- Nick

Thanks Nick

Yes still on about MacBook Pro laptop, sorry lol

Also yeah knew about the ram and will have to stick with it, just I canít afford the additional £1k for it even with a second hand 😔

Great if that does what I need then perfect

Your Mac's Specs
    Also yeah knew about the ram and will have to stick with it, just I can’t afford the additional £1k for it even with a second hand 
    After checking...it seems that 16gig of RAM was actually the max RAM 2017 MacBook Pro's could be configured with. Wasn't until the 2018 15" MacBook Pro's where they could be configured with 32 gig of RAM.

Great if that does what I need then perfect
    Much of the time the 15" MacBook Pro's are configured as a much more capable computer. Many times they will have dual graphics processors (integrated & dedicated)...which this MacBook Pro has...more RAM...etc (they don't just have a larger display...15").

This 2017 MacBook Pro is actually one of the more powerful portable computer's Apple released at that time. The only thing that would have made it the BEST sold at that time...was if it had the 3.1 GHz CPU rather than the 2.9 GHz CPU. And even with the 3.1 GHz CPU...it would have only been about 5% faster...which you probably wouldn't even notice.

Technically this is "more computer" than is needed for the computing tasks listed...but if you want a larger 15" display...then you got to get a 15" model.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Nick

I want something a bit more then I need as would like it to last a good few years just like my current 2010 MacBook Pro. Also moving from a 17inch a 15inch would be better then a 13inch

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Nick

I want something a bit more then I need as would like it to last a good few years just like my current 2010 MacBook Pro. Also moving from a 17inch a 15inch would be better then a 13inch
    I hear ya. I'm currently on a 17" MacBook Pro as well.

- Nick

p.s. Just a quick add. If most of your computing is at home...at a desk...and you wanted to save some cash...a 13" plus a nice big external monitor is a great combo!

Thread Information