Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Repeated Kernel Panics on Boot
    Mid 2010 MBP got a failed SSD. I bought a new SSD and replaced it. On initialising/formating the new SSD an error message popped up that basically said the hard drive cable is faulty. I googled it and apart from replacing the cable, people said that the cable can scratch along the inside of the casing of the Mac. They said you can fix this with a thin strip of tape, so that the cable does not erode. I did this and managed to install macOS. Everything seemed fine for a day. I came back to my laptop later on, after having installed a few programs and when I tried to enter my password it would not work. I tried 5 more times, at the end being certain that the password was correct. I turned the Mac off by holding down the power button. Upon trying to turn it back on, I started getting the kernel panics as I believe they’re called. Mac turns on, makes the chime, goes to Apple logo, loading bar jumps to the end in under a second, Mac restarts, produces the error message ‘Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up.’. Whether I press a key or wait, the computer restarts to the Apple logo with super quick loading bar again and the process repeats. I’ve tried pressing shift to go into safe mode, does not work as there doesn’t seem to be time to press it really. I've replaced the hard drive cable and the same issue persists. How can I go about diagnosing this issue?
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Shift does not typically get you started in Safe mode but we'll put that aside for a bit.

You didn't say which version of the OS you're using but if it is anywhere near one of the recent ones try the following
    1. Turn on the Mac and immediately press the Option key (this should get you to the boot loader).
    2. You should see two different hard drive partitions (one with the name of your hard drive and one named something like "Recovery").
    3. Select Recovery and press Enter/Return.
    4. Select Disk Utility and run Disk First Aid. Fix any errors it reports then attempt to reboot the Mac normally.

Ley us know what the results are and we can go from there.
    Last edited by Slydude; 07-19-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I've never heard of an error message stating that the hard drive cable (SATA cable) is defective. In any event, you replaced the cable so that should not be a problem. I suspect that the SSD you replaced in the machine is either not compatible or there is something else going on.

Did you install an operating system (macOS) on the SSD before putting it in the machine? Also, do you have the original DVD installer (probably Snow Leopard 10.6.3) that came with the machine?

Pressing Shift or anything else is not going to work on startup if the SSD has no operating system on it. Please provide more details and we can go from there.

And welcome to our forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Shift does not typically get you started in Safe mode but we'll put that aside for a bit.

You didn't say which version of the OS you're using but if it is anywhere near one of the recent ones try the following
    1. Turn on the Mac and immediately press the Option key (this should get you to the boot loader).
    2. You should see two different hard drive partitions (one with the name of your hard drive and one named something like "Recovery").
    3. Select Recovery and press Enter/Return.
    4. Select Disk Utility and run Disk First Aid. Fix any errors it reports then attempt to reboot the Mac normally.

Ley us know what the results are and we can go from there.
    Thanks.

It’s on High Sierra.

Following your steps I only see Macintosh HD and not the recovery partition. Have I installed macOS incorrectly?

P.S. For safe mode I was following Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. Just for my own future reference, is this correct or should I do something else? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I've never heard of an error message stating that the hard drive cable (SATA cable) is defective. In any event, you replaced the cable so that should not be a problem. I suspect that the SSD you replaced in the machine is either not compatible or there is something else going on.

Did you install an operating system (macOS) on the SSD before putting it in the machine? Also, do you have the original DVD installer (probably Snow Leopard 10.6.3) that came with the machine?

Pressing Shift or anything else is not going to work on startup if the SSD has no operating system on it. Please provide more details and we can go from there.

And welcome to our forums.
    I don’t think the error message quoted it was a hard drive cable issue but when I googled the message, the general consensus was this fault.

I’ll be honest it was a few months ago now. I either installed HS via the internet recovery feature or installed prior to putting it in the machine. I do have Snow Leopard on DVD.

Many thanks!

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizon View Post
    Thanks.

P.S. For safe mode I was following Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. Just for my own future reference, is this correct or should I do something else? Thanks!

No you are correct. When I typed that statement I was thinking of the key command for single user mode which is a different method of booting.

I'm going to have to think a bit for reasons you might not see the recovery partition.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I’ll be honest it was a few months ago now.
    So can you adjust what you said in the first post to show where this "few months" fits in? If the drive worked fine for a few months and is now failing, that's an entirely different problem from "I just replaced it and have problems."
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    So can you adjust what you said in the first post to show where this "few months" fits in? If the drive worked fine for a few months and is now failing, that's an entirely different problem from "I just replaced it and have problems."
    All these problems happened a few months ago. The drive didn’t work fine for a few months. Everything in the original post is correct. When the problem happened I checked with Apple to see if they could diagnose the problem but due to its age they class it as vintage so cannot help. Life got in the way so I haven’t had time to look for an alternative fix until now (a few months later).

Your Mac's Specs
    Are we sure the cable is a good one and is firmly connected at both ends. I swapped the hard drive in my MacBook Pro for an SSD a while ago and got similar/the same behavior. The SSD worked fine for a bit and then I started to get panics on boot. After a bit of troubleshooting, running Disk Utility a few times, and maybe a bit of screaming, I discovered the cable had worked loose at the end where it attaches to the logic board.
    Kevin Durant

Are we sure the cable is a good one and is firmly connected at both ends. I swapped the hard drive in my MacBook Pro for an SSD a while ago and got similar/the same behavior. The SSD worked fine for a bit and then I started to get panics on boot. After a bit of troubleshooting, running Disk Utility a few times, and maybe a bit of screaming, I discovered the cable had worked loose at the end where it attaches to the logic board.
    95% sure. I was quite meticulous when swapping over the cable. I pressed lightly (but firmly) on each connection to make sure everything had clicked into place properly. The thing is the panics happened when I swapped the drive over and then also after I swapped the cable so it would have to have become loose 2 times so seems unlikely although there is still an absolute possibility. Do you think it’s worth opening up and checking? If so, is it ok to have a fully charged battery and just disconnect the battery? I normally let it drain and leave it overnight but I’m interested in you opinion. Thanks.

I just turned it on and after a few kernel panics it went to a screen with the no entry sign(prohibitory symbol) and then tuned off. Normally the panics go on indefinitely (on the scale of 5 minutes before I’ve forcefully turned it off).

Your Mac's Specs
    I haven't found a definitive answer yet but what I'm seeing is possible problems with some aspect of the OS install. The two most often mentioned possible culprits are:

1. Problems with the APFS formatting
    2. Something with the system software (possibly a kernel extension).
    Kevin Durant

I haven't found a definitive answer yet but what I'm seeing is possible problems with some aspect of the OS install. The two most often mentioned possible culprits are:

1. Problems with the APFS formatting
    2. Something with the system software (possibly a kernel extension).
    Do you suggest a clean install then?

Your Mac's Specs
    I was hoping to find an easier fix when I got that sign on my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago but that's ultimately what I ended up doing. I went through the install procedure and let that finish. I then started migrating data, settings, etc. and went to bed because the amount of things I moved meant it was going to take some time.
    Kevin Durant

I was hoping to find an easier fix when I got that sign on my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago but that's ultimately what I ended up doing. I went through the install procedure and let that finish. I then started migrating data, settings, etc. and went to bed because the amount of things I moved meant it was going to take some time.
    Ok thanks. I had already prepared for this when the old hard drive broke. What method of installing do you recommend for the cleanest install?

Thread Information