Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Macbook keyboard is dead, but recognises SMC reset. Should this be possible?
    My Macbook's keyboard has been dead for quite a few months now and I've been using an external USB keyboard. Although it's a lot of work, i'm planning on taking it apart and replacing it with a new one.

One thing that has me curious though is that when trying an SMC reset (Shift, Control, Option, Power), it recognises the input on the keyboard because my MagSafe adapter light changes colour like it is supposed to.

My question is, if my keyboard really is dead, why does my MacBook recognise the SMC reset?

The power button still works and so does the backlight. I've also tried a PRAM reset with no luck.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by alexwells View Post
    One thing that has me curious though is that when trying an SMC reset (Shift, Control, Option, Power), it recognises the input on the keyboard because my MagSafe adapter light changes colour like it is supposed to.

My question is, if my keyboard really is dead, why does my MacBook recognise the SMC reset?

The power button still works and so does the backlight. I've also tried a PRAM reset with no luck.
    My guess is...if the keyboard is definitely dead...when you do the 4-key combo of (Shift, Control, Option, Power)...your MacBook is only reacting to the pressing of the Power button (powering off)...and not really doing an SMC reset.

Like you said with the PRAM reset...in the PRAM reset you don't press the power button...thus nothing is happing with a PRAM reset.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    My guess is...if the keyboard is definitely dead...when you do the 4-key combo of (Shift, Control, Option, Power)...your MacBook is only reacting to the pressing of the Power button (powering off)...and not really doing an SMC reset.

Like you said with the PRAM reset...in the PRAM reset you don't press the power button...thus nothing is happing with a PRAM reset.

- Nick
    That could very well be it. I thought the MagSafe light only changed colour when all 4 keys are pressed though.

Your Mac's Specs
    I have a 17" MacBook Pro with 4 keys not working (or partially working). I bought a used topcase via ebay...so I'm about to do the same project. I've been using an external keyboard most of the time as well.

I've been putting it off...since as you said...it's a pretty involved project.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I have a 17" MacBook Pro with 4 keys not working (or partially working). I bought a used topcase via ebay...so I'm about to do the same project. I've been using an external keyboard most of the time as well.

I've been putting it off...since as you said...it's a pretty involved project.

- Nick
    I successfully replaced mine yesterday. I bought a new keyboard and plugged it onto the logic board to test it and it worked. So i just went for it and took it all apart. It's lengthy process but it was well worth it. Good luck with your repair!

Your Mac's Specs
    Awesome...congratulations...glad everything went well...and all is working.

Thanks for the update as well.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    I'm all for pictures and tutorials when you do decide to switch your keyboard
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Thread Information