Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cellular Connections?
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    @Felasco, basically, there is no issue. You asked a question, and you received the common sense answers. They just did not suit you.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

What is common sense about the idea that some iPad users would want to connect to the Net beyond wi-fi, but laptop users would not???

My sense is that none of us, certainly including me, know why Apple makes this assumption, but some male egos are getting attached to various speculations. We could, if you wish, simply admit that none of us know.

Cellular Connections?
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    It is up to the user to decide if they want cellular access to the web. It always was, they have the option to buy the service plan and the dongle. No reason for Apple, or any other manufacturer to include it with their other hardware.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Cellular Connections?
    And I guess it seems the reason the laptops can't normally make cellular connections is the manufacturers didn't install or include the extra expense of the equipment needed.

To overcome that if you wanted, it seems there are additions you can add but was mentioned earlier and you can start with a search here:
    can laptops make cellular connections
    can laptops make cellular connections - Google Search

Some sites stand out with some useful information that you could check out using standalone/add-on device, such as dongles etc.:
    How to Get 4G or 3G Internet Access on Your Laptop
    How to Connect a 4G Cellular Dongle for Laptop PC to the Internet

So this answers the question that it may be possible to add cellular connection ability to a laptop, if any propriety softweare and everything else works.

So, yes it's possible, if that was part of your original question.

It does not appear from what I saw to nessarily be an easy Plug & Play proceedure though.

- Patrick
    ======

Cellular Connections?
    @Felasco
    What is common sense about the idea that some iPad users would want to connect to the Net beyond wi-fi, but laptop users would not???
    Felasco, are you referring to ALL laptops or just specifically to the Apple variations??

And BTW: I don't think there is any Apple experienced member here that would dare suggest any logical reason that Apple would do something (now there's an oxymoron!!!) except possibly something related to money.

I'm also assiming you might be fairly new to the Apple/Mac world and not just to this forum.

And BTW, a belated welcome aboard to mac-forums.

- Patrick
    ======

Cellular Connections?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Most folks who own notebook computers and need to carry them for business or school would probably rely on available WiFi. With the exception of the newer MacBook (no longer being produced) most notebook computers are something I personally would not like to carry around just to have a cellular connection. And as has already been pointed out, almost everyone nowadays has smartphone which can be used as a hotspot.

Anyway... we've beaten this to death. If you really need your notebook to have cellular then buy a dongle or a portable hotspot.

Let's get on to more important subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Felasco, are you referring to ALL laptops or just specifically to the Apple variations??
    I was just curious as to why Apple included cellular access in some iPads, but no laptops. Just curious, a little puzzle, that's all, nothing more.

I'm also assiming you might be fairly new to the Apple/Mac world and not just to this forum.
    25 years, never used anything else.

And BTW, a belated welcome aboard to mac-forums.
    Thank you very much sir!

- Patrick
    ======[/QUOTE]

Cellular Connections?
    25 years, never used anything else.
    Sorry Felasco, my mistake there and I broke my first rule — never assume nutt'n.

I was just curious as to why Apple included cellular access in some iPads, but no laptops. Just curious, a little puzzle, that's all, nothing more.
    I find it a bit odd that they don't even mention that cellular access add-ons are actually available for their laptops, but no hint of them in their Apple Store, at least none that I could see.

And why is adding phone calling made so hard or ackward and seemingly restricted depending on where one lives with a cellular capable iPad???

It seems that Apple is increasing the size of some of their iPhones to approach the size of some iPads, so maybe they might just add the capapability as a "new feature" in the future, with no increase in user costs. Yeah right!!! Cough, choke... excuse me...

- Patrick
    ======

Cellular Connections?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Cellular Connection continued
    For those who might want to know, here is Apple's article on cellular access. Instant Hotspot on your Mac - Apple Support

As for the other about adding phone to an iPad difficult, I suspect that is more related to the phone company than any design from Apple.
    Last edited by Raz0rEdge; 07-17-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Sorry Felasco, my mistake there and I broke my first rule — never assume nutt'n.
    No worries. After all, even after 25 years there are a billion things I don't know about Macs, so I am indeed a nube on very many Mac subjects, as will be clear in many threads.

Thread Information