Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MacBook Batteries.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    ...I will end up getting the Newertech one from Macfixit because I'm dubious about things like this from ebay.
    I didn't go into this earlier...but in addition to questionable quality control of the lower cost batteries (safety & otherwise)...another problem I've run into with the lower cost eBay batteries is fit. When I was looking for a replacement battery for my 2011 MacBook Pro (and tried a lower cost eBay battery)...it simply didn't fit properly.

When I tried to put it in place it was very snug...when I replaced the bottom cover it was snug...and when I went to use the computer...so much pressure was being exerted on the trackpad from underneath that the trackpad physical clicking did not work.

When I purchased a Newertech battery from OWC (which was more expensive)...it fit perfect (slipped right into place with no resistance)...and the trackpad worked fine.

I'm sure there are folks with positive experiences with eBay purchased batteries...but at the same time I'm guessing there's a higher rate of dissatisfaction as well (compared to better quality batteries).

- Nick

p.s. I should add...the eBay batteries (I tried 2) were supposed to be genuine OEM Apple batteries (had all the exact correct labels & battery info my original Apple battery had). But they simply were not the same somehow.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

MacBook Batteries.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    Yeah that confirms my thinking Nick. I'd sooner do it right the first time.
    Pete.

MacBook Batteries.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    Yeah that confirms my thinking Nick. I'd sooner do it right the first time.
    With the eBay batteries I dealt with...I probably messed around for a good 2-3 weeks going back & forth with a couple different eBay sellers trying to get things right (including returns & 2nd & 3rd batteries being sent from the same seller). Then probably at least 2 hours for each battery I received...to install it (easy)...and then through testing to try to get things to work before returning a battery.

Then I gave up on eBay...ordered from OWC...and within 15 minutes everything was fitted & working fine!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

MacBook Batteries.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    Gets frustrating when knockoffs are so bad. I've been pretty lucky with ebay so far, but there are things I'm dubious about.
    Pete.

Thread Information