Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Random opening of programs
    My Macbook Pro (2017 model) randomly opens programs while I am using it and when put to sleep by closing the lid. I can close the lid on my Macbook Pro and after some time, it will open programs on its own. Sometimes it is SIRI talking and other times it will have some video running along with other programs open. I have run the disk utility and have restarted in Safe Mode and this has not solved the problem. I am currently running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I have searched for a solution on Google and cannot find it even though there are many people with the same issue. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Have you had any liquid spilled on this machine? With the lid closed, the machine should be going to sleep first of all. The random stuff happening might be key clicks or something.

Can you keep the lid open and then choose Apple icon (on top left) and Sleep and see if it properly goes to sleep and you don't have any random things happening?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

The computer is actually my wife's computer. Nothing has been spilled on the keyboard. Programs will randomly open while she is using the computer and after it has been put to sleep when she closes the lid and goes to bed. After she goes to bed, I will be sitting at my computer (right next to hers) and hers will start talking (either Siri or some video). I will reach over and open the lid and there will be many programs open at the same time. I have never just put her computer to sleep manually and then watched to see what happens. I will try that today. Thanks for your response.

New info.....my wife just corrected me. Her computer only opens programs randomly while the lid is closed..never while the lid is open and she is working on it. She says she can close the lid and when she comes back to the computer and opens it, there are several programs running that were not running when she shut the lid. So, I guess the problem is programs opening when the lid is shut (computer sleeping?) Sorry for the confusion.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    This is a long shot, but you might check System Preferences/Accessability and see if under the "Interaction" area the "Dictation" is set up. The computer might be reacting to sounds it interprets as audio commands.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    It might also have Alexa or Siri running, or something in Accessibility...

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    This is a long shot, but you might check System Preferences/Accessability and see if under the "Interaction" area the "Dictation" is set up. The computer might be reacting to sounds it interprets as audio commands.
    I checked this out and the "Dictation" is off. Good suggestion though. Thank you!

[QUOTE=rachalmers;1823004]It might also have Alexa or Siri running, or something in Accessibility...

We don't have an Alexa and I am pretty sure Siri is not running. However, sometimes Siri is one of the apps that is running when I hear the computer "talking" with the lid closed. It has me baffled. Like I said, others on Google have had the same issue, but I cannot find any posts saying what fixed it.

More information. This morning when my wife opened the lid on her MacBook Pro, there were several things "opened". I looked at what was opened and everything that was running were things that she has icons for on her desktop. I am not sure if this helps in the trouble shooting, but I hope so. Thanks for any help provided.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    How secure is your network? also, have you been installing random "Your Flash needs updating. click here" popups?
    Put Malawarebytes on and run that. Also run Etrecheck. If there is anything amiss, they will find it. Both free versions.

Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    How secure is your network? also, have you been installing random "Your Flash needs updating. click here" popups?
    Put Malawarebytes on and run that. Also run Etrecheck. If there is anything amiss, they will find it. Both free versions.
    We probably have done the Flash popup at one time or another. I have the Malawarebytes and will run it. I also will check out and run the Etrecheck. Thanks for your help!

Your Mac's Specs
    I looked at what was opened and everything that was running were things that she has icons for on her desktop.
    Can we revisit this comment? What do you mean, exactly, by "icons for on her desktop?" Do you mean on the Dock across the bottom or side, or actually on the Desktop? Apps should NOT have icons on the desktop as that is not where apps install. Apps are in the Applications folder and may show on the Dock as they are running or, in Mojave, if they recently ran. Other than that, apps should not have icons on the Desktop.
    Jake

Can we revisit this comment? What do you mean, exactly, by "icons for on her desktop?" Do you mean on the Dock across the bottom or side, or actually on the Desktop? Apps should NOT have icons on the desktop as that is not where apps install. Apps are in the Applications folder and may show on the Dock as they are running or, in Mojave, if they recently ran. Other than that, apps should not have icons on the Desktop.
    I guess I have used the wrong terminology. The "stuff" on the desktop are shortcuts (Icons) to things like Facebook, The Weather Channel, News, etc. These are the various things that start up when the lid is closed and the unit is "sleeping". Sorry.

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, so Facebook, TWC, News, etc, are websites, not applications. Just to be clear, then, applications are not starting up, but websites are opened in Safari? Or whatever is the browser of choice? It is important to be clear because applications and websites are not the same and the solutions won't be the same, either.
    Jake

OK, so Facebook, TWC, News, etc, are websites, not applications. Just to be clear, then, applications are not starting up, but websites are opened in Safari? Or whatever is the browser of choice? It is important to be clear because applications and websites are not the same and the solutions won't be the same, either.
    Thanks. They are opening in Safari.

Your Mac's Specs
    So one quick suggestion is to close Safari completely before closing the lid. By that, I mean to click on the "Safari" on the top bar, then "Quit Safari" to shut it down. Or you can use CMD-Q to close it. I think what is happening is that she is minimizing the websites she goes to, or minimizing Safari, then closes the lid, which puts it to sleep. Opening the lid wakes it up and in that process it opens all the pages that were open (but minimized) when it was put to sleep. So shutting down Safari should stop that behavior (which is normal, I think).
    Jake

Thread Information