Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Random opening of programs
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Well, I am running out of ideas. Nothing should trigger Safari to start except having it in the boot sequence. One last thing to check might be to start a shutdown with the  icon upper left, then make sure in the resulting dialog box that the "Reopen windows" box is unchecked. That way, if it is rebooting, Safari won't start because of being open when any reboot happens. You said you checked if Safari was set to open on boot, but did you look at System Preferences/User and Groups/her account for Login items to make sure Safari isn't in there?

I can't think of what would "go bad" that would cause this behavior other than something triggering rebooting and having it set up with no requirement to log in and Safari in the startup sequence. And you have checked on most of that already, so unless there is something we haven't asked and you haven't volunteered about her system, that sequence is pretty unlikely.

Did anything change on her computer just before this behavior started? Anything out of the ordinary? Anything installed or uninstalled/changed? Computers don't generally just change behavior for no reason, there is some triggering event that installs/removes/changes something that then makes the operation different.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Well, I am running out of ideas. Nothing should trigger Safari to start except having it in the boot sequence. One last thing to check might be to start a shutdown with the  icon upper left, then make sure in the resulting dialog box that the "Reopen windows" box is unchecked. That way, if it is rebooting, Safari won't start because of being open when any reboot happens. You said you checked if Safari was set to open on boot, but did you look at System Preferences/User and Groups/her account for Login items to make sure Safari isn't in there?

I can't think of what would "go bad" that would cause this behavior other than something triggering rebooting and having it set up with no requirement to log in and Safari in the startup sequence. And you have checked on most of that already, so unless there is something we haven't asked and you haven't volunteered about her system, that sequence is pretty unlikely.

Did anything change on her computer just before this behavior started? Anything out of the ordinary? Anything installed or uninstalled/changed? Computers don't generally just change behavior for no reason, there is some triggering event that installs/removes/changes something that then makes the operation different.
    I did check system preferences/user and Groups when I was checking to see if Safari was set to open. As far and anything changing on her computer, I don't know of anything, but then again, she uses it and I don't. I am not sure she would recognize a change unless it was significant. She plays a lot of games through Facebook so I am sure about anything could happen. I have now unchecked the "Reopen Windows" box. We will see what happens. Thanks again for your patience and help.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    She plays a lot of games through Facebook so I am sure about anything could happen.
    That is "dangerous" to do. A lot of those games put things on your system through that Facebook interface that could be malicious. Not fatal, but just nasty. And most of those nasties would affect her browser. I would recommend you get DetectX Swift (search for it) and run it on her system to get rid of anything malicious. Then consider deleting her browsing history and cookies. Doing so will require her to log into some places again because the history/cookie has made that convenient, but at least she would be back in control.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    That is "dangerous" to do. A lot of those games put things on your system through that Facebook interface that could be malicious. Not fatal, but just nasty. And most of those nasties would affect her browser. I would recommend you get DetectX Swift (search for it) and run it on her system to get rid of anything malicious. Then consider deleting her browsing history and cookies. Doing so will require her to log into some places again because the history/cookie has made that convenient, but at least she would be back in control.
    I will check out DetectX Swift. Someone earlier suggested I download ETRECHEK and run it. I have not done that yet. I will also delete her browsing history and cookies. I will let you know how things go from here. Thanks!

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Interesting problem.
    So. If you know what you are looking at, run Etrechack from the App Store.
    Run the free version of Malawarebytes full scan anyway.
    Run Onyx also free.
    Check what your “closing lid” options are. Shutdown? Sleep? Whatever. If indeed you have that option?
    Reboot

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    Interesting problem.
    So. If you know what you are looking at, run Etrechack from the App Store.
    Run the free version of Malawarebytes full scan anyway.
    Run Onyx also free.
    Check what your “closing lid” options are. Shutdown? Sleep? Whatever. If indeed you have that option?
    Reboot

I have now run the Malwarebytes and the Etrecheck and they show nothing of significance. Thanks for the suggestions.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgallo View Post
    I have now run the Malwarebytes and the Etrecheck and they show nothing of significance. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I did hear a while back that a failing touchpad can also cause this problem.
    Which sounds like a “get it fixed” problem.
    Can’t think what else would be causing it.

I did hear a while back that a failing touchpad can also cause this problem.
    Which sounds like a “get it fixed” problem.
    Can’t think what else would be causing it.

Yes, someone earlier commented on that. I just might have to take it to an Apple Dr. Thanks!

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Everything you need to know about replacing the track pad
    MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Late 2016-2017) Trackpad - iFixit

Everything you need to know about replacing the track pad
    MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Late 2016-2017) Trackpad - iFixit

Would resetting the SMC be a possible solution? I don't know much about this other than I did it once on my Macbook when the charging ports were not working.
    I guess I could try it...nothing to lose.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Would resetting the SMC be a possible solution? I don't know much about this other than I did it once on my Macbook when the charging ports were not working.
    I guess I could try it...nothing to lose.
    Yes, no harm in trying :-)

Thread Information