Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    So one quick suggestion is to close Safari completely before closing the lid. By that, I mean to click on the "Safari" on the top bar, then "Quit Safari" to shut it down. Or you can use CMD-Q to close it. I think what is happening is that she is minimizing the websites she goes to, or minimizing Safari, then closes the lid, which puts it to sleep. Opening the lid wakes it up and in that process it opens all the pages that were open (but minimized) when it was put to sleep. So shutting down Safari should stop that behavior (which is normal, I think).

All good points. However, she is not minimizing websites when done with them. She always closes them with the red X in the left upper corner. Also, websites are opening with the lid closed, and those that have sound you can hear. It is really weird. She always goes to bed before I do, and I will be using my computer while seated next to hers that has the lid closed and all of a sudden something with sound is playing on her computer. I will then open the lid and all kinds of websites are running. I usually just mute the sound on hers and reclose the lid.

Random opening of programs
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The red X does not close. It minimizes. So Safari is still running, and still tracking those minimized websites. And if any event occurs to wake up the Mac when the lid is closed (arriving email, notifications, etc), then as part of the wake up routine all those minimized sites will be opened. To close Safari you use CMD+q or Safari/Quit Safari, as I said.

EDIT: If you want to see that the X does not close Safari, watch the activity dot below the Safari icon on the Dock. Click the red X and the activity dot stays there, showing the application is still running, but in the background. You can also close it by right clicking on the icon on the Dock and selecting "Quit."
    Last edited by MacInWin; 06-13-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    Jake

The red X does not close. It minimizes. So Safari is still running, and still tracking those minimized websites. And if any event occurs to wake up the Mac when the lid is closed (arriving email, notifications, etc), then as part of the wake up routine all those minimized sites will be opened. To close Safari you use CMD+q or Safari/Quit Safari, as I said.

EDIT: If you want to see that the X does not close Safari, watch the activity dot below the Safari icon on the Dock. Click the red X and the activity dot stays there, showing the application is still running, but in the background. You can also close it by right clicking on the icon on the Dock and selecting "Quit."
    Ok. Thanks. My Macbook pro is running the same OS as hers and I close websites (or minimize by red xíing) the same way she does. Why do I not have the same issue with my computer as she does? If the red X does not close the website, but instead minimizes it, what is the yellow minus button next to the red x do? I am not trying to be a smart Alec but truly would like to know.

Your Mac's Specs
    The yellow "-" minimizes the page to the Dock, the red X pushes the application off the desktop completely, but leaves it running. A sleeping Mac, when wakened, tries to restore the "state" of the machine when it went to sleep, which would include re-initializing all the apps and restoring the state they were in. For Safari, that would mean opening the pages it was tracking at the time. As for why hers does what it does and yours does not, it could be in your settings for how the machine is to react to the lid closing. For example, she may have "Wake for network access" checked on the Energy Saver page of System Preferences, while you may not. So when a network event occurs, her machine wakes up, Safari is restored and you get sounds/images on her machine. If you don't have it selected, then no network events wake up your machine. And, even if you do get a wake up on network access, your Safari pages you had left open may not have videos attached to make noise, or you actually left the page before you closed the lid, so Safari is not tracking any pages. Lots of reasons for the two acting differently.

EDIT: Just to be clear, both the red and yellow have about the same effect, as Safari is still running in both options. The yellow puts the page on the Dock, the red pushes it into what is called the background.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgallo View Post
    My Macbook Pro (2017 model) randomly opens programs while I am using it and when put to sleep by closing the lid. I can close the lid on my Macbook Pro and after some time, it will open programs on its own. Sometimes it is SIRI talking and other times it will have some video running along with other programs open. I have run the disk utility and have restarted in Safe Mode and this has not solved the problem. I am currently running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I have searched for a solution on Google and cannot find it even though there are many people with the same issue. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.
    You may find that itís a dodgy trackpad. Which of course means a visit to Apple. I donít know any other way of checking it. Replacement usually fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

The yellow "-" minimizes the page to the Dock, the red X pushes the application off the desktop completely, but leaves it running. A sleeping Mac, when wakened, tries to restore the "state" of the machine when it went to sleep, which would include re-initializing all the apps and restoring the state they were in. For Safari, that would mean opening the pages it was tracking at the time. As for why hers does what it does and yours does not, it could be in your settings for how the machine is to react to the lid closing. For example, she may have "Wake for network access" checked on the Energy Saver page of System Preferences, while you may not. So when a network event occurs, her machine wakes up, Safari is restored and you get sounds/images on her machine. If you don't have it selected, then no network events wake up your machine. And, even if you do get a wake up on network access, your Safari pages you had left open may not have videos attached to make noise, or you actually left the page before you closed the lid, so Safari is not tracking any pages. Lots of reasons for the two acting differently.

EDIT: Just to be clear, both the red and yellow have about the same effect, as Safari is still running in both options. The yellow puts the page on the Dock, the red pushes it into what is called the background.
    Thank you for the detailed explanation, MacInWin. I appreciate it. Near the end of the post you stated, "or you actually left the page before you closed the lid". Please explain, "you actually left the page". I checked her energy saving settings and they are exactly the same as on my computer. Again, thanks for all the help.

Your Mac's Specs
    Let's say you visit a site that has a self-starting video (lots of them have that these days). Abcnews.go.com is an example. As soon as you open the page video starts running. (You can see which sites have authority to do so in Safari/Preferences/Websites under "Auto-play." That area will show which of your currently open sites have authority to play video and how it may treat sounds in those videos. If you choose to block those sites from playing videos you will get error messages when you go to those sites and some may even refuse to load completely.)

Getting back to what I meant, let's say you do visit a site that has auto-play videos. If all you do is minimize the browser or just put the Mac to sleep with that page open, when the Mac wakes up it restores that website and the video starts to play just like you opened the page for the first time. But if you had actually gone away from that autoplay page to a site that doesn't have any autoplay video, then when the Mac wakes, it goes to that non-play page because that was the page you were on when it went to sleep. If your wife visits a site with autoplay and then lets the Mac sleep with that page as the current page in Safari, then when it wakes up, Safari will load the page and it will play.

Bottom line: Close Safari completely before letting the Mac sleep and I predicted the problem will go away.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Let's say you visit a site that has a self-starting video (lots of them have that these days). Abcnews.go.com is an example. As soon as you open the page video starts running. (You can see which sites have authority to do so in Safari/Preferences/Websites under "Auto-play." That area will show which of your currently open sites have authority to play video and how it may treat sounds in those videos. If you choose to block those sites from playing videos you will get error messages when you go to those sites and some may even refuse to load completely.)

Getting back to what I meant, let's say you do visit a site that has auto-play videos. If all you do is minimize the browser or just put the Mac to sleep with that page open, when the Mac wakes up it restores that website and the video starts to play just like you opened the page for the first time. But if you had actually gone away from that autoplay page to a site that doesn't have any autoplay video, then when the Mac wakes, it goes to that non-play page because that was the page you were on when it went to sleep. If your wife visits a site with autoplay and then lets the Mac sleep with that page as the current page in Safari, then when it wakes up, Safari will load the page and it will play.

Bottom line: Close Safari completely before letting the Mac sleep and I predicted the problem will go away.
    As I understand the original post, itís randomly opening apps, not just safari.

Your Mac's Specs
    Nope, read post #11 through 14. Turns out they are all websites opening in Safari.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    As I understand the original post, itís randomly opening apps, not just safari.
    That was inadvertent erroneous info that I posted. It actually is opening/playing websites (through Safari) when the lid is closed. These websites that are opening/playing are also websites that my wife has shortcuts to on her desktop. Sorry for the confusion. I really didn't understand the proper terminology.

Thanks for the explanation and I will have her quit Safari before putting the computer to sleep. What I don't understand is why the computer is waking while the lid is closed. I checked the settings you have referred me to and her computer is set the same as mine and mine does not wake when the lid is closed. I know that something is different probably in the settings, but I have not found it yet. It is not a big deal other than being annoying. Thanks again for the help!

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, I notice mine wakes up to receive emails and notifications, probably because I leave Mail running when it rests and I have "Wake on network access" ticked, so any email will wake it up temporarily. As it is not in my bedroom to disturb me, I don't care if it wakes up then.
    Jake

Well, I notice mine wakes up to receive emails and notifications, probably because I leave Mail running when it rests and I have "Wake on network access" ticked, so any email will wake it up temporarily. As it is not in my bedroom to disturb me, I don't care if it wakes up then.
    Awhile ago this evening, I quit Safari on my wife's computer and closed the lid. Two hours later I opened the lid and Safari and many of her websites from her desktop were all running. I give up. lol

Your Mac's Specs
    Just to be sure, how did you shut down Safari? And is it possible that her machine is rebooting? And if rebooting is a possibility, does she have Safari set to launch on boot?

Technically, if you Quit Safari properly, it should never launch again unless the machine reboots and Safari is set to launch at boot. That could happen if she doesn't have to enter her password at boot time, which is how a lot of folks set things up for convenience.
    Jake

Just to be sure, how did you shut down Safari? And is it possible that her machine is rebooting? And if rebooting is a possibility, does she have Safari set to launch on boot?

Technically, if you Quit Safari properly, it should never launch again unless the machine reboots and Safari is set to launch at boot. That could happen if she doesn't have to enter her password at boot time, which is how a lot of folks set things up for convenience.
    I right clicked Safari and then clicked the "Quit". I checked to see if Safari was set to launch on boot and it was not. Would resetting the SMC help? I am beginning to think there is something going bad in her computer. What would cause her computer to reboot? I guess that is a possibility, but I don't understand why it would.

Thread Information