Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Macbook Air Early 2014 will not turn on
    I have been troubleshooting an issue where my MacBook Air will not power up. When plugged into the charger after hitting the power button the light turns from amber to green for 3 seconds and then back to amber. Below is what I have tried so far:

- SMC Reset, lights flash as expected but nothing on the screen or no fan sound
    - Disconnected battery, still not power on with ac adapter
    - Tried different ac adapter
    - Swapped out I/O board
    - Swapped out Logic board
    - Swapped out I/O board power/audio cable

I am not sure what else could be causing the issue and am hoping someone can offer some further suggestions.

Macbook Air Early 2014 will not turn on
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Nitch.

I have to say that I admire the systematic way you have approached this problem.

It seems to me that the one thing left is that the Mac's Internal Hard Drive is dead.

Have you a backup strategy - Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), SuperDuper! (SD!)?

Ian
    Ian

Thank you. Would the SSD drive prohibit it from even show a display? Is it possible to for the MacBook Air to boot without a SSD present? I have removed the SSD and tried to power on without one plugged in and still nothing.
    Last edited by Nitch; 06-08-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Would the SSD drive prohibit it from even show a display?
    I don't quite understand what you mean; but if the SSD is dead, then you won't be able to boot up the Mac.

Is it possible to for the MacBook Air to boot without a SSD present?
    No.

I have removed the SSD and tried to power on without one plugged in and still nothing.
    As above, no SSD, nothing to boot up; in effect no computer.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your situation, but as you describe things, the SSD appears to be dead.

Hence my question about whether you have any Backups and, if so, in what form - Time Machine, or a clone such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! (SD!)?

Ian
    Ian

Thanks for the reply. I understand it will not boot without the SSD or even when failed. I’m just not even getting an indication of power on. Screen does not display anything, fan does not even run. The led indicator on the AC adapter goes from amber to green for 3 seconds and then back to amber. I would expect if the SSD was bad there would at least be some error or sound indication of a boot failure from the BIOS.

My question on removing the SSD was to see if it would at least show some indication of powering up but to no response.

I do have a backup so no concern there.

Your Mac's Specs
    As you have already looked at the power cable and the power unit (post #1), I am running out of ideas.

It is certainly the case that a failed/failing power unit can mimic your experience; but you appear to have that base covered.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Below is what I have tried so far:

- SMC Reset, lights flash as expected but nothing on the screen or no fan sound
    - Disconnected battery, still not power on with ac adapter
    - Tried different ac adapter
    - Swapped out I/O board
    - Swapped out Logic board
    - Swapped out I/O board power/audio cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitch View Post
    Thank you. Would the SSD drive prohibit it from even show a display? Is it possible to for the MacBook Air to boot without a SSD present? I have removed the SSD and tried to power on without one plugged in and still nothing.
    You've definitely tried quite a bit...and I agree...there isn't much left to test.

One important thing to consider is...computers with an internal SSD don't make much sound when powered on...so it's always possible this 2014 MacBook Air could be powered on (when you power it on)...and not realize it.

Now you may ask...how can this be? The answer is...the computer may have a display or a display cable related issue. Maybe the computer is fine (everything that was replaced)...but maybe the display is bad...or the display cable is loose/bad. To troubleshoot this...I would connect an external monitor to the MacBook Air (may need a display adapter)..and see if you get any info displayed on the external monitor.

This may or may not be the issue...but got to test it just in case.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Also...a sharp reader of this post might also mention..."Why doesn't the keyboard backlight come one/stay on if the computer is actually powered on & not displaying anything on the builtin display?" All I can say is...try the external monitor test.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Appreciate the idea on the external monitor. With hopes I plugged one in and unfortunately still no sign of trying to boot up. This one really has me puzzled. I'm determined to figure this one out but it is beating me up.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitch View Post
    Appreciate the idea on the external monitor. With hopes I plugged one in and unfortunately still no sign of trying to boot up. This one really has me puzzled. I'm determined to figure this one out but it is beating me up.
    Ok...good deal...thanks for giving it a try. Too bad it didn't work...but it needed to be done to cross that possibility off the troubleshooting list.

Seems to me you've swapped out just about every piece of hardware possible (including trying a 2nd charger/power supply). This would lead me to think of two possibilities:

1. Something external to the computer is the issue. Since you tried a 2nd charger (including the power cable I assume)...it would seem the charger is not the issue. Maybe there's something home wiring related causing the issue. This of course can be tested by testing the computer at a 2nd location outside the home. Beyond this...I don't know what else could possibly be an external factor.

2. It's always possible there's something wrong with the MacBook Air's battery. Different Apple portable computer models work differently in regards to the battery. Some Apple portable computers will operate with no installed battery (will just operate much slower)...and some will not work at all with a "bad" battery.

In other words...if this MacBook Air is one of the models that requires a "good" battery be installed for it to work (plugged in or not plugged in to the logic board)...then the battery could be the issue. In this case the battery acts like part of the power circuit of the computer. If the battery is "bad" for some reason...then that causes a break/open power circuit.

Given that almost everything in the computer has been swapped out...one of the only remaining items that could be the issue is the battery...and if a "good" battery must be in place for the computer to operate...then a known working 2014 MacBook Air battery would need to be swapped to test this theory. Unfortunately due to the design of most MacBook Air battery's...this is not so easy.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
    Try this: disconnect the battery, disconnect the trackpad, connect the charger, and do not touch any keys. Hopefully, the MacBook will power up on its own.
    Apple stuff: iPhone 6s, Air2 LTE, Late 2013 13" MBP, Early 2011 13" MBP, Late 2011 15" MBP, Mid-2013 13" MBA

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Hey Audit:

Glad to have you back posting again. Been awhile.

Regards.

Your Mac's Specs
    @chscag, thank you.

Hopefully, my suggestion provides some sort of solution.
    Apple stuff: iPhone 6s, Air2 LTE, Late 2013 13" MBP, Early 2011 13" MBP, Late 2011 15" MBP, Mid-2013 13" MBA

No luck with unplugging the trackpad and battery.

Your Mac's Specs
    How about shorting the two power pins on the logic board?

I'm determined to figure this one out but it is beating me up.

Why not take it to a good Mac tech for some diagnostics and testing and give your own brain a bit of a rest.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information