Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Help/Electric shocks touching macbook pro early 2015 (13'')

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook 7,1 2.4 GHz, 2 GB ram
    Hello everyone.
    I need your help. I recently bought second hand an early 2015 macbook pro 13 inches. It works really well and apparently it's never been opened. The problem is that it gives me tiny electric shocks (plugged or unplugged). Is it normal? I read on google that many other people had the same problem. Is there a way to fix it? Does it mean that it's faulty? Can apple repair it?
    Thank you

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    No that is not normal. Yes something is faulty. From what I can gather from reading of others having the problem something inside is shorting(?) to the aluminum case.

If it were me I would return it and get my money back. Some things you could try would be plugging it into a known grounded plug and see if that helps. If it does that would indicate a grounding problem within the laptop itself. If it is easily reproducible you can try taking it to Apple but without applecare it will probably be expensive.

Hopefully others will chime in but for what it is worth that is my two cents worth.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

The problem is that it gives me tiny electric shocks (plugged or unplugged).

Just concentrating on the unplugged state, that is not normal, but you could be very prone to low voltage exposure as those Macs only use 12volts when on battery power alone, and that would not normally produce enough amperave for you to feel.

You may actually be experiencing some static discharge, but it can't do much damage normally but can be unpleasant.

If you wear any type of heart monitor or assist product, I would suggest you get it all checked out.

Getting strong shocks from your MacBook when it is plugged into AC power is a completely different matter and definitely should be checked out.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 06-07-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    If I take it to an Apple store, will they check it for free? How long does it take them to come back with an answer? And if they find something faulty, will they charge me even if it's their fault and not of the previous owner?
    Cheers

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Diagnostics at an Apple Store are free, however, if your MBA is defective and needs repair you might be charged a fee. Consumer laws are different in the UK so I can't be definitive about whether Apple would repair the machine for free.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Diagnostics at an Apple Store are free, however, if your MBA is defective and needs repair you might be charged a fee. Consumer laws are different in the UK so I can't be definitive about whether Apple would repair the machine for free.
    Do they do the diagnostic on the spot while you're there waiting or you have to leave it with them?

Your Mac's Specs
    Normally, you would call first to make an appointment as that will cut the wait time. You could walk in and get in line to have your MBA looked at but the wait time can be considerable depending on how busy the store is. Once the genius bar has your MBA to diagnose, it shouldn't take long.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Normally, you would call first to make an appointment as that will cut the wait time. You could walk in and get in line to have your MBA looked at but the wait time can be considerable depending on how busy the store is. Once the genius bar has your MBA to diagnose, it shouldn't take long.
    Thannks for the info. Do they refuse the inspection if they find out that it's been bought second hand (or from ebay if they ask). Or if it's been opened before?

Diagnostics at an Apple Store are free, however, if your MBA is defective and needs repair you might be charged a fee.

It would be interesting to know or test to see is any other user can feel any sort of shock from that Mac, but maybe just start when using it on battery power only.

PS: what kind of socks and/or shoes do you normally wear when you get the shocks, and what is the floor surface.

I'm putting my money on static electricity, so maybe try having a plain wood floor underfoot or equivalent and see if the shocks disappear.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    It would be interesting to know or test to see is any other user can feel any sort of shock from that Mac, but maybe just start when using it on battery power only.

PS: what kind of socks and/or shoes do you normally wear when you get the shocks, and what is the floor surface.

I'm putting my money on static electricity, so maybe try having a plain wood floor underfoot or equivalent and see if the shocks disappear.

- Patrick
    ======
    It's all carpet here in England. And I wear slippers at home with cotton socks. On a wooden table. But again, this never happened before with my mid 2014 macbook pro. Although if you look on google, it seems to be like a very common issue. Plenty of mac users report the problem.

And I wear slippers at home with cotton socks.
    Try not wearing the slippers for a while and also maybe take the socks off and see if it makes a difference.

The wooden table would normally act as an insulator, but if you are at all concerned, by all means take it to the Apple Store and have it checked out.

Or you could even try using an electrical multimeter to try and measure any current between you and the MacBook. An analog meter might be best, as any current rush maybe too fast and short for a digital meter to register and read, Unless of course you have a very good and usually expensive digital meter.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry if I ask again but....Do they refuse the inspection if they find out that it's been bought second hand (or from ebay if they ask). Or if it's been opened before?

Your Mac's Specs
    No, it shouldn't matter where you purchased it from and that it's second hand. Since it's no longer in warranty, they won't care that it has been opened - unless of course, opening it caused damage.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    As an old carpet layer, I can report that slippers on carpet a an excellent way of generating static electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Believe it or not...we have had members report issues like this over the years...and if memory serves me correctly...it has always been related to portable/laptop computers. Having said this...it has been quite a while since someone has had this issue (which probably means is not very common an issue).

Since this is something that has been reported happening over the years...I do not believe that the issue is model specific. I think member "pm-r" first mentioned it above with the static electricity suggestion. I think the conclusion we've usually found to be the root cause of this issue is:

- A person having very dry hands/lower arm's (not much natural oils in/on the skin).
    - Dry/very dry home humidity.
    - Walking around on carpeted floors with or without socks...and maybe generating a static charge buildup in the person.

Of course the true root cause could be a combination of these as well.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Yes you may get lots of Google hits when you do a search on this. But consider that laptop computers have been around for MANY years...and then also consider the cumulative total number of laptop computer users around the world over all that time...and this results in a very very very low percentage of users affected by this.

If this were truly a common issue...we would probably have members posting about this regularly on at least a monthly basis. Especially in the Wintertime in the Northern Hemisphere (when homes are at their driest)...and where a majority of Earth's population lives. Not to say that folks that live in the Earth's Southern hemisphere couldn't experience this issue as well (their Winter...Northern Hemisphere's Summer).

p.p.s. And to add something further...USUALLY...folks that live in tropical areas that have high or relatively high humidity year-round...don't report this issue (unless their homes are extremely dry due to air-conditioning).
    Last edited by pigoo3; 06-09-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added info
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information