Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Help/Electric shocks touching macbook pro early 2015 (13'')
    p.p.s. And to add something further...USUALLY...folks that live in tropical areas that have high or relatively high humidity year-round...don't report this issue (unless their homes are extremely dry due to air-conditioning).

LOL!!! From what I read about those living in the UK would have a hard time getting their homes that dry with all the rain they are typically associated with.

But hey, why not get one of the anti-static mats for around the chair area, and maybe a smaller one to place the MacBook on, on the table.

Hey, I just recalled all the damn static I used to get after we had installed brand new carpet and rubber underlay in the house we lived in some 20 years ago.

My solution, that worked very well, was to spray a liberal amount of anti-static spray all over the carpet and especially where my computer work area was.

Sure worth a try, and maybe help the heart out a bit as well by not getting zapped with static shocks so many times. Heck, it only takes one tenth of an amp directly through the heart to kill you!!!! Not good!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I still think the OP should have his machine checked out. After working in electronic repair and computer repair for many years, I learned long ago those little shocks you get off a chassis (TV, Stereo, computer, etc.) can sometimes be from poor internal grounding. Yes, static can also come into play but note that the OP did not have that problem with a previous MacBook Pro in the same location. He's living in the UK (not exactly a dry climate). If he was living in the Southern California desert, I would agree with you about the static shocks.

By the way, a good electronic tech will always use an isolation transformer when working on equipment that displays those "little shocks".

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook 7,1 2.4 GHz, 2 GB ram
    In case there is something to fix, do you think it requires a lot of work? Do you think it could be a cheap job from Apple? Although there is no such a thing as a cheap repair from Apple.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Hard to estimate how much a possible fix would cost when we don't exactly know what the possible fix would be. And...if we knew exactly what the repair would be or involve...then we would have suggested what to fix earlier in the thread....and if we knew what to fix...then we would probably also be able to roughly estimate the cost.

Sort of a what came first kind of logic...the chicken or the egg.

This is an unusual/uncommon issue. Also I think we have differences of opinion on what the issue is...and what the solution might be.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Hard to estimate how much a possible fix would cost when we don't exactly know what the possible fix would be. And...if we knew exactly what the repair would be or involve...then we would have suggested what to fix earlier in the thread.

This is an unusual/uncommon issue. Also I think we have differences of opinion on what the issue is...and what the solution might be.

- Nick
    I just hope they have the tools to understand if the issue really exist.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by britpoprule View Post
    I just hope they have the tools to understand if the issue really exist.
    Your best bet is to be confident that you can replicate the issue at the Apple Store for the techs to see (and feel the shocks).

If you go to the Apple Store...and can't replicate the issue...then they're just going to look at you like you're a little daft.

- Nick

p.s. Hopefully I used that small bit of UK slang properly!
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Your best bet is to be confident that you can replicate the issue at the Apple Store for the techs to see (and feel the shocks).

If you go to the Apple Store...and can't replicate the issue...then they're just going to look at you like you're a little daft.

- Nick

p.s. Hopefully I used that small bit of UK slang properly!
    That's exactly what I meant! If the diagnostic will be based on touching the machine (lol) then they might not notice anything...
    I really hope the Apple people working at the Genius Bar are very knowledgeable.

Not to worry, the shocks will be felt of course when the Apple Store produces a proposed repair estimate.

And also don't worry as most UK Apple repair techs have all taken courses in existentialism behaviourism so they probably know how to deal with such problems. At least I would surely hope so.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pigoo3; 06-10-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by britpoprule View Post
    That's exactly what I meant! If the diagnostic will be based on touching the machine (lol) then they might not notice anything...
    I really hope the Apple people working at the Genius Bar are very knowledgeable.
    If these tiny electrical shocks are noticeable to you...then they should be noticeable to the Apple repair folks...as long as these tiny electrical shocks are repeatable.

Just like any repair/diagnosis situation when you go to a professional for help...whether it be for a:

- automobile repair issue
    - refrigerator/major home appliance repair issue
    - computer repair issue
    - etc

It's always best to be able to duplicate the problem in front of the repair person.

Good luck...please let us know how things go at the Apple Store,

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    After many conversations on the phone, where they asked me to send photos of the charger, the serial number and the plug of the mac, I finally go to the appointment at the Apple store. The guy at the Genius Bar says that it's normal for the material that the macbook it's made of and he doesn't notice anything in the 20 minutes we were there together. He also said that the Apple store was not the best place to check such episodes, considering that the floor and every aspect of the store it's made of materials that do not create such problems. So after a chat with his colleagues he came back and decided not to keep it for further investigation. He also made some general checks and everything was ok. I guess I'm also getting used to it and noticing it less and less.

I guess I'm also getting used to it and noticing it less and less.

Have you tried spraying your home computer work with anti-static spray as I suggested previously??

Seriously, ther's a very good chance that doing so may just fix the problem. And it sure won't break any bank account.

Worth a try at least I'd say.

Maybe even this but dodn't be stingy using it:
    Heartwell
    5.0 out of 5 starsAmazing stuff.
    20 September 2017
    Verified Purchase
    I kept getting shocked at my desk at work after I touched anything metal. After spraying this stuff on my chair, I stopped getting shocked! Amazing stuff.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Static-Guar...EE1MHGZPF72E6E

- Patrick
    ======

p.p.s. And to add something further...USUALLY...folks that live in tropical areas that have high or relatively high humidity year-round...don't report this issue (unless their homes are extremely dry due to air-conditioning).
    I walked into the house from the garden this morning and noticed that my wife was sitting on the floor with her MBA on a low table. She was typing away, but holding her elbows out far from her sides. I asked why. She said it's because she gets a shock if her forearms touch the MBA.

When she stepped away, I tried it myself. When I told her I couldn't feel anything she said, "Something wrong with you." (I'm sure she's more right than she realizes.)

We do live in the tropics (94% humidity as I type) and have ceramic tile floors.

I asked her if this machine has always had this problem and she said "yes". (Why hadn't she mentioned it when the machine was still under warranty?)

I also asked her if she has the same problem in her office (which also has ceramic tile floors). And she said "yes".

My old 2009 Mac Mini (still going strong) also had this problem. But I touched it this morning and didn't feel a thing. (Must be something wrong with me.)

So, I'll follow her lead. Since it doesn't seem to be life-threatening; we'll just ignore it.
    Last edited by Ratsima; 06-16-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Humidity typo

My old 2009 Mac Mini (still going strong) also had this problem. But I touched it this morning and didn't feel a thing. (Must be something wrong with me.)

So, I'll follow her lead. Since it doesn't seem to be life-threatening; we'll just ignore it.

It must be really satisfying to know at least there isn't anything wrong with her.

What a relief...

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    there isn't anything wrong with her.
    Lucky me….

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    Lucky me….
    Women tend to wear a lot of nylon/synthetic and if insulated - sitting on tiles ... will be carrying around up to 20,000 volts. When she brushes the Mac she’s grounded and zap...

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Thread Information