Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Confused on which MBP to get for my workflow
    Hello everyone, my first post here

Iíve tried to find a solution by scouring different forums with no luck, primarily because the focus always tends to be on creative workflows, which is why Iím seeking help here.

My issue is the following: I currently own a 2016 MBP with an i7 sixth Gen 2.7ghz chip, 16GB of ram, and a 512GB SSD. This setup doesnít seem to be supporting my workflow sufficiently and I often get the two most critical apps I use crashing: Microsoft Excel and a Java-based Trading Application (Interactive Brokers), in addition to some lags here and there with other tasks.

My typical workflow includes heavy excel file usage (with heavy regular and iterative computations), the above mentioned Java trading platform, safari with 10Ė30 tabs, and Windows 10 running in Parallels (sometimes), and other MS Office apps (outlook, word, OneNote).

Iím currently considering upgrading to the new 2019 MBP with 32GB of ram but Iím not sure whether an i9 will help with the above workflow or if I should just stick with an i7. Cost of i9 vs i7 is not a consideration for my decision.

Iíd really like to stick with a Mac however, if consensus is Windows is significantly better for my workflow then I would need to sacrifice my Mac in favour of efficiency

Thanks in advance.

Your current Mac should be supporting your workflow without any issues. The Excel demands on the CPU cannot be that much even with lots of computations. The Java application might be a drain, but you have enough memory to be able to accommodate that and Java is very efficient with CPU usage. When you are running Parallels, how many CPUs and Memory did you allocate to the VM? That is definitely going to impact your Mac performance since you are sharing limited resources.

IMHO, the new MBP with the 8-core CPU is totally overkill for you.

How much free space do you have? Have you watching Activity Monitor and the CPU tab in there to see what kind of CPU% you are seeing, the same for the Memory tab?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackadel View Post
    Hello everyone, my first post here

I’ve tried to find a solution by scouring different forums with no luck, primarily because the focus always tends to be on creative workflows, which is why I’m seeking help here.

My issue is the following: I currently own a 2016 MBP with an i7 sixth Gen 2.7ghz chip, 16GB of ram, and a 512GB SSD. This setup doesn’t seem to be supporting my workflow sufficiently and I often get the two most critical apps I use crashing: Microsoft Excel and a Java-based Trading Application (Interactive Brokers), in addition to some lags here and there with other tasks.

My typical workflow includes heavy excel file usage (with heavy regular and iterative computations), the above mentioned Java trading platform, safari with 10–30 tabs, and Windows 10 running in Parallels (sometimes), and other MS Office apps (outlook, word, OneNote).

I’m currently considering upgrading to the new 2019 MBP with 32GB of ram but I’m not sure whether an i9 will help with the above workflow or if I should just stick with an i7. Cost of i9 vs i7 is not a consideration for my decision.

I’d really like to stick with a Mac however, if consensus is Windows is significantly better for my workflow then I would need to sacrifice my Mac in favour of efficiency

Thanks in advance.

I was literally in your exact predicament ~2 months ago. I bought the new 15" Macbook Pro w/Touch Bar(2.2GHz i7, 16gb ram 256gb flash). It is way more than enough for your needs with the i7. IMO, you can never have enough ram if you can buy more, but 16gb is perfect for me. I don't use Safari though. I use Chrome browser due to work continuity.
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Thread Information