Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Just installed a NuPower battery in my early 2011 MBP with new 1TB SSD hard drive. Battery life?
    So I just installed the new battery. It's going to be a few hours before its fully charged. I guess there's a power calibration that I'm supposed to do.

Does anyone know the expected battery charge with this new 65 watt-hour battery now that I'm running a SSD before I have to plug back in?

I'm hoping for 7 to 10 hours.

Tony.

Just installed a NuPower battery in my early 2011 MBP with new 1TB SSD hard drive. Battery life?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I'm guessing you're interested on whether installing an SSD will improve total runtime on battery power. Lots & lots has been written on this over the years. Here's a recent article on the topic:

Which SSD Gets the Best Laptop Battery Life?

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    7 to 10 hours is too long in my opinion with any battery 3rd party battery. My guess is probably 3-4 hours of normal use. Unfortunately, I don't think there has ever been a 3rd party manufacturer that has developed a battery that lasts as long as the original equipped batteries. NuPower batteries last a full year(if you're lucky) before they completely need to be replaced. There was an article from another Apple forum that talked about all the popular battery options, and they were pretty much straight garbage.

As for the battery life based on an SSD upgrade, hard to tell without knowing the SSD brand.
    All SSDs are different and have different power consumptions. Some are VERY frugal when it comes to asking for power, while others are inefficient power hogs that love to overheat- overheating electronics that have no moving parts means it's using a lot of electricity(like some high performance SSDs). Most cheap SSDs don't have efficient sleep states when you're not tasking the computer. Most high performance SSDs don't care about how much power it uses. That's why it's important to know what kind of SSD you have.
    3.0GHz 10core Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6core Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4core Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz 6core i7 15" MacBook Pro w/TB 15.12.3GHz 4core i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro 11.32.4GHz C2D 15" MacBook Pro 5.12.4GHz C2D 13" MacBook Pro 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    NuPower batteries last a full year(if you're lucky) before they completely need to be replaced. There was an article from another Apple forum that talked about all the popular battery options, and they were pretty much straight garbage.
    I agree that there are a lot of low quality replacement batteries being sold out there (ebay, Amazon, etc.). Newertech/Nupower replacement batteries (sold by OWC for example)...are supposed to be a lot better (and you pay a good bit more for them too).

I've recently installed a few low quality replacement batteries into my 2011 MBP (which were all returned)...and ended up going with a Newertech/Nupower battery. So far so good. Will have to wait and see how long it lasts...and how it compares to a genuine original battery.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information