Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MacBook Air dead.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
    MacBook Air dead.
    Late 2014 13" MacBook Air
    Running Mojave updated in the last 8 weeks or so. Don't know the exact version.

Macbook is "dead". At first I thought it was the battery, now I am starting to suspect something more sinister.

1. Opened the cover and the MacBook woke up. A glance at the battery indicator showed 43%. A few minutes later it showed 3%. I figured I had seen the 43% before it had a chance to update. I plugged in the Magsafe charger.

2. A few minutes later I had to do something else, so I closed the lid and set it aside. Soon after, I heard a low beeping from the computer (I assume this is the battery REALLY low warning). I opened the lid to a black screen. For a few seconds I saw the boot up screen, then nothing.

3. Since then, I can't get the computer to start up. The battery shows fully charged (green light on Magsafe charger).

Any ideas would be appreciated,
    Jeff
    Dragons Slain, Damsels Rescued
    No Dragon too small, No maiden too Faire, No Reward too Large

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Can we discount the possibility of a liquid spill? If this MacBook Air ever experienced a liquid spill...this could always play a part (even long after the spill).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

MacBook Air dead.
    Any ideas would be appreciated,
    Jeff
    It sounds like your battery just does not have enough power or capacity to run the MacBook Air.

It could be because the battery itself is goofy and/or it's possible that the charger is not working properly or even that the contacts on the MagSafe connector are dirty and not making contact properly.

It may also be due to some other condition and you may need to do an SMC Reset to fix or help fix the problem:
    How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac ...
    Page Not Found - Official Apple Support

I would suggest the first thing to do is to get the charger charging properly, and that includes checking or cleaning the contacts.

I don't think that model MacBook Air has an easily removable battery.'s's's

- Patrick
    ======

MacBook Air dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Can we discount the possibility of a liquid spill? If this MacBook Air ever experienced a liquid spill...this could always play a part (even long after the spill).

- Nick

Dang it!!! I always forget about that possibility. Thanks for the reminder Nick.

If so, my previous suggestions are probably kaput, or close to it.

- Patrick
    ======

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Dang it!!! I always forget about that possibility. Thanks for the reminder Nick.

If so, my previous suggestions are probably kaput, or close to it.
    Hopefully no liquid spills involved...then all you suggested is fair game.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

MacBook Air dead.

Your Mac's Specs
    My MacBook Air has lived a good life - no spills of any kind.

It would be great if the battery was the culprit. According to the green light on the Magsafe, the battery is fully charged. I have left the computer unplugged for several days, and when I plugger the charger back in, I got a yellow light on the charger, indicating it was charging. Light went back to green about 30 minutes later. Can a battery be bad and the Magsafe lights still go through the yellow to green cycle indicating it charging?

When the problem first occurred, I took it by an Apple store, and plugged it into a Magsafe charger they had there. Same behavior, and the computer still would not start.

SMC reset performed. Did not help.

MacBook Air dead.
    SMC reset performed. Did not help.

Unfortunately, that does not sound very good.

From what you say, the battery and the charger seem to be working okay as you got the yellow light and then the green shortly after.

The next thing to try would be using a Safe Boot that entails booting up from a shutdown state, and immediately hold down the shift key when the startup chime or display screen would normally come on or sound and wait 'till you see a spinning gear — IF it even ever shows up, but then login if it does and after it finishes spinning.

I'm sorry to say, I don't think it's going to work or help your situation, but worth a try.

Did the Apple Store give you any indication of what might be wrong or what you can anticipate???

Hopefully some other member may come up with a solution for you that you can try.

PS: Try shutting the MacBook Air completely off using the shutdown or if that doesn't work, press and hold the power key until it goes off. Leave it off for a minute, and then try booting up in safe boot mode.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 05-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by D'artagnan View Post
    When the problem first occurred, I took it by an Apple store, and plugged it into a Magsafe charger they had there. Same behavior, and the computer still would not start.
    What did the folks at the Apple Store say?

- Nick

MacBook Air dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    What did the folks at the Apple Store say?

- Nick

That would be nice to know, or at least interesting, and I was asking the same thing above.

We also don't really know how far it gets on boot up or what the screen might be doing, if anything.

- Patrick
    ======

MacBook Air dead.

Your Mac's Specs
    I was actually going by the Apple Store to pick up a dongle. My MacBook had just died that morning so I did not have an appointment to get a thorough look at it. As I walked through the store I noticed a table with a magsafe charger. I asked the employee if I could borrow it for a couple of minutes.

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by D'artagnan View Post
    I was actually going by the Apple Store to pick up a dongle. My MacBook had just died that morning so I did not have an appointment to get a thorough look at it. As I walked through the store I noticed a table with a magsafe charger. I asked the employee if I could borrow it for a couple of minutes.
    Sorry about that...I think I misinterpreted what was said earlier. I thought you actually spoke with someone about the issue at the Apple Store.

- Nick

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Does the computer do anything when you open it up (open the display) or try to start it up?

Since this MacBook Air has no moving parts (to hear doing anything as it starts up)...how do you know it's not working & maybe the issue is only display related? Plugging it into an external display is always a good thing to try.

Is it currently doing ANYTHING? Does the keyboard backlight turn on when trying to start it up? Anything you can tell us may help.

- Nick

MacBook Air dead.
    Is it currently doing ANYTHING? Does the keyboard backlight turn on when trying to start it up? Anything you can tell us may help.
    Ahhh... yes.... the suspense of the saga continues. Tune in later for the next episode in the continuing series...

Maybe as they say, No news is good news???

- Patrick
    ======

MacBook Air dead.

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry for the late reply. I replied earlier, but it does not seem to have actually posted.

Alas, except for the green light on the charger, it does not do anything. Just holds down a corner of my desk.

I am suspecting a non-battery problem. The charger indicates the battery is charged, yet the computer does not do anything. This seems to indicate a problem with the battery charging circuitry inside the computer (it may actually be discharged but indicates a full charge to the MagSafe). Or the battery is fine, and there are other internal problems.

I have been looking at various repair kits on ifixit. They list the logic board, the I/O board, and some of the cables. I am not familiar with MacBook internals. There maybe something in there I can't replace via Ifixit.

If the I/O board is bad (the MagSafe attaches here), could it indicate a charged battery when it is actually depleted? Or maybe it is just not delivering power to the logic board. The battery is original. It was down to about 80% capacity. Can they suddenly go completely bad?

I don't want to jump ahead prematurely here, but I seem to be running out of different ways to ty and boot the computer.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Last edited by D'artagnan; 05-22-2019 at 12:10 PM.

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Hi Jeff - coming in late to the thread and great advice has already been given - iFixit is an excellent site but 'repairs' can be difficult, especially if you have little experience opening up laptop computers (if you do, then my apologies) - my suggestion since you have an Apple store is to setup a 'diagnostic appointment' at the Genius Bar - let them determine the potential problem(s) - they will provide a repair estimate, which might be a lot (vs. the depreciated value of a 2015 MBAir) - but you will have much more specific information if you want to use iFixit.

Now there is a way to do hardware diagnostics on an Apple computer w/ their Apple Diagnostics Tests, but needs a bootable computer as described in the link. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thread Information