Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by D'artagnan View Post
    I am suspecting a non-battery problem. The charger indicates the battery is charged, yet the computer does not do anything. This seems to indicate a problem with the battery charging circuitry inside the computer (it may actually be discharged but indicates a full charge to the MagSafe). Or the battery is fine, and there are other internal problems.

I don't want to jump ahead prematurely here...
    I still say to be 100% thorough (before spending any cash)...figure out a way to connect this MacBook Air to an external monitor...just in case it's a display issue. I know the keyboard backlight not coming on probably means nothing is working inside...but who knows.

Connecting to an external monitor can be free...maybe try it at an local Apple Store (if you don't have an external monitor & adapter to test with).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

MacBook Air dead.
    Connecting to an external monitor can be free...maybe try it at an local Apple Store (if you don't have an external monitor & adapter to test with).

Do the Apple Stores actually have such a provision to allow that?? Or would the Apple Genius do that for you?

We don't have one that's reasonably close and I've never been to an Apple Store so I don't know.

But it sounds like a good idea to try.

- Patrick
    ======

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Some things to note:

• If the issue was related to the flash drive, you would get a folder icon on bootup. That reason can be eliminated.
    • If the SMC is confused, the battery indicator light is meaningless.
    • Most issues involving Macbooks not turning on while the charging indicator is green means there is an SMC issue. SMC reset is technically no longer a "hard reset" like it used to be with Macbooks with serviceable batteries. Now, with batteries that are always connected, SMC reset has become a "soft reset". If the SMC is confused, and the battery can't be removed, a "soft reset" does not help. Not all issues get resolved by it. To do a hard reset, you need to disconnect the battery.

Try this:

1. Remove the back cover.
    2. Unplug the battery and leave it unplugged for a minute.
    3. While the battery is unplugged, hold down the power button for 5 seconds.
    4. Reconnect the battery and then follow normal SMC reset steps.
      1. With your Mac being shut down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
      2. Release all keys.
      3. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Can't hurt to try. I hope it does something.
    3.0GHz 10core Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6core Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4core Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz 6core i7 15" MacBook Pro w/TB 15.12.3GHz 4core i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro 11.32.4GHz C2D 15" MacBook Pro 5.12.4GHz C2D 13" MacBook Pro 7.1

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Do the Apple Stores actually have such a provision to allow that?? Or would the Apple Genius do that for you?
    Could work either way...always good to ask one of the Apple reps first. Maybe an Apple rep helps or a "Genius".

See post #6 in this thread...OP went to the Apple Store to try one of their mag-safe chargers to see if that would help with the issue.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

MacBook Air dead.
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Any updates?
    3.0GHz 10core Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6core Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4core Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz 6core i7 15" MacBook Pro w/TB 15.12.3GHz 4core i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro 11.32.4GHz C2D 15" MacBook Pro 5.12.4GHz C2D 13" MacBook Pro 7.1

MacBook Air dead.

Your Mac's Specs
    5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
    I don't think I've ever heard a Mac laptop "beep" relating to battery issues. Bad RAM, yes. Firmware update, yes. But not a battery issue.

I've had three or four Mac laptops fry the DC i/o board, and have successfully replaced them on each (thanks, iFixit.com!). The i/o damage due to living in countries with wonky power grids more than faulty parts, I suspect.

I'm going to suggest something you may not have considered: did you look at the Magsafe plug and the port for debris? They do tend to collect gunk, even (especially?) when carted around in a laptop bag with other material jostling around.

And you may find visual evidence of liquid damage by removing the bottom cover of the laptop - I forget if that model just requires #00 Phllips or if they're pentalobe or torx.... look at both the mother/board / battery (don't touch anything unless you've done this before with some education ) and the underside of the bottom plate, where there may be a stain to indicate presence of a liquid at some point that may have dried.

MacBook Air dead.
    and the underside of the bottom plate, where there may be a stain to indicate presence of a liquid at some point that may have dried.
    Or check with iFixIt etc. for the location of the moisture sensors, and check their color.

- Patrick
    ======

MacBook Air dead.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I had to leave town last week, so this was shoved to the proverbial back burner. I have an appointment with the the Genius Bar, and I am going to let them take a look at it and go from there.

I looked at the MagSafe port, and everything is OK in that area. The battery appears to be charging. When I plug the Magsafe in, the LED goes green for a couple of seconds, the yellow for a while, then back to green after a while. This is if I leave it unplugged for a few days.

There has never been any water in the Mac. I understand living in a high humidity area can cause the water indicators to turn, though. This computer has lived in Houston for 5 years, so I am kind of expecting Apple to pull the "water in the computer" card.

Jeff
    Dragons Slain, Damsels Rescued
    No Dragon too small, No maiden too Faire, No Reward too Large

MacBook Air dead.
    I looked at the MagSafe port, and everything is OK in that area. The battery appears to be charging. When I plug the Magsafe in, the LED goes green for a couple of seconds, the yellow for a while, then back to green after a while. This is if I leave it unplugged for a few days.

So, maybe you could refresh my brain cell memory for me and is that MacBook now booting and running or not???

I gather it is not, plus you all also seem to still have a battery/magsafe charging problem.

Sounds like a trip to the Apple Genius is a pretty good idea. They should be able to confirm what is and is not working. They may not be too concerned as to why from what I read. We don't have one anywhere convenient.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information