Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Is this a worthwhile buy?
    $1199 for a 13Ē MBP, 2.3 GHz i5, 8GB SDRAM, 256GB SSD

Itís last yearís model. Newer ones are $500 more.

Use is basic, online and word processing. No gaming, no composing, no video. Maybe a bit of photo-tweaking.

Iíve read of issues with keyboards; donít know the issues, donít know if this one would be affected.

My 2011 15Ē MBP has to literally be on freezer packs to keep from overheating--I was told by a local repair place it was a bad chip and a New York State repair shop specialized in that. When I called them, they said they got out of that because the repair were temporary and would eventually return (determined empirically, I suppose), and to put my money on a new unit.

So Iím asking if this is worthwhile and without major issues....

Thanks in advance to anyone helping!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Keyboard issues with the last three year's models are very real. And if any machine you buy does not have Apple Care Plus or Apple Care that's still in effect, and the keyboard needed to be replaced, the cost would be very expensive. In order to replace a defective keyboard on those models, the entire top case and battery also has to be changed out.

By last year's model, is that a 2017 13" MacBook Pro? The latest model would be a 2018 13" MacBook Pro since there is no 2019 model as of today.

The 2018 models have a membrane under the keys which somewhat protects them, however, problems with those keyboards are likewise being reported.

Thank you. I don’t know if it’s 2017 or 2018. I know they have a newer model, so I’m assuming 2017.

This--keyboard issue--is what I was wondering about. Is it ALL of them or some of them? It’s sounding like there’s no way around this if one wants a MBP.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    If you can lay your hands on a late 2015 13" MBPr in good condition not only will you avoid the keyboard issues but the display cable issue suffered by the 2018 model. Also this was the last model that had USB outlets, HDMI, earphone jack, micro card reader etc. I have a 512Gb SSD and the same specs as above. I don't know what I will do when it finally dies. Buy a lot of new peripherals I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedory View Post
    Thank you. I don’t know if it’s 2017 or 2018. I know they have a newer model, so I’m assuming 2017.

This--keyboard issue--is what I was wondering about. Is it ALL of them or some of them? It’s sounding like there’s no way around this if one wants a MBP.
    No, it's not all of them, however, it is a significant number. The number of reported MacBook Pros with a keyboard defect in those models are high enough that Apple has acknowledged the faulty keyboards and even issued an apology to the public. I'm not sure if Apple is repairing models that are out of warranty for free or not. But folks who reported having their machine repaired for the defective keyboard said that they were without their machine for as long as two weeks while it was undergoing a keyboard replacement.

You might want to wait to see what Apple announces for 2019. They are definitely going to do something to prevent another keyboard fiasco. Of course a new 2019 MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is going to cost more so that might not be something for you.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I should add, I had my keyboard replaced as part of battery replacement under Australian Consumer Law so I think I'm in the clear.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Keyboard issues with the last three year's models are very real.
    Are these potential keyboard issues also on a MacBookAir? Or only on the MacBook pro?
    I have a 2017 MacBookAir bought last December - wondering if I need to splurge for Apple Care.

Your Mac's Specs
    There have been some reported keyboard problems with the latest MacBook Air models but not to the extent that exists with the MacBook Pros.

Thread Information