Bricked my Early 2014 Macbook Air and need help
    I'll admit I'm a little bit stupid about the Mac and did something I shouldn't have done.

My Early 2014 Macbook Air has been running really slowly and when I check the storage under the Apple icon, it reports a volume called "other" that easily takes up more than 1/2 of the 128GB SSD. I did a Command + R during startup and performed a Reinstall Mac OS but that didn't really help much.

So to make a long story short, I wanted to reset my Mac to the original installation when it was new. All my personal files are backed up so I wanted to reset my MacBook to it's factory new condition.Here's what I did in chronological order...

1. Boot with Command + R to access the Max OS Utilities

2. Start the Disk Utility

3. Erase the 'other' volume

4. Erase the system volume

So now I have a Macbook that won't boot. Makes sense as I erased the boot partition. Oops. I tried to perform a Internet Restore, both over WiFI and with over ethernet but neither worked. I would start with a rotating globe of the Earth, but end up with a triangle symbol with Apple.com/support -F2002 or something like that.

My neighbor has a Macbook Pro and he let me use it for a bit. With the help from an article from Apple titled "How to create a bootable installer for macOS" here
    How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

With his machine I did the following...

1. Downloaded the macOS installer. The High Sierra was only 6 MB and didn't work, but the Mojava was over 6 GB and it did work in the later steps.

2. I formatted a flash drive as Mac OS Journal (I think. The Apple article still uses the term Extended which wasn't available).

3. I used 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal to transfered Mojava to the flash drive. This is where I found out that the High Sierra installer was not usable while Mojava was. This is when I checked the file sizes and saw the High Sierra was not a complete install file, being only 5 MB is size.

4. I put the flash drive into my Mac and turned it on. It found the flash drive and booted from it, showing an apple on the screen along with a completion bar. It started at percent zero and after some time, it ended up at one hundred percent. Then it just stopped.

I waited for a long time but nothing happened. I powered down and restarted and it came up with the Internet Restore globe once again.

What did I do wrong?
    Do I have a hardware issue?
    Is there a utility that I can boot from a flash drive that can test my hardware?

I have an appointment with the local Apple store Genius Bar on Tuesday, but I prefer to figure this out myself if I can.

Regards,
    Bob

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    What you will want to do is startup from OS X Internet Recovery, How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support, or this, About macOS Recovery - Apple Support, may help.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    What you will want to do is startup from OS X Internet Recovery, How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support, or this, About macOS Recovery - Apple Support, may help.
    I tried the Internet Recovery both over WiFi and using an Ethernet cable, and while I get a spinning globe of the earth for a bit, eventually I get a screen with a triangle and the words apple.com/support -F2002 or something like that.

However I will read the articles you suggested. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    You really need to check the SSD in your MacBook Air. If you can, borrow your neighbor's MacBook Pro and use it to check the SSD in your MacBook Air by hooking it up in Target mode. You reported above that the machine was running slow which could be indicative of a problem with the SSD.

Normally, internet recovery takes a while to complete the process but the error you're receiving might be telling you that there's a problem with the SSD and refuses to do the installation.

Thanks chscag, thatís what I was thinking. I might pull the SSD and put it in a an external case and check it on my neighborís Mac.

It makes me wonder if there a utility that boots off a flash drive and checks all the Macís hardware?

Is it possible to perform a Internet Recovery to an external hard drive instead of the SSD? Would I have to remove the SSD to allow the Mac OS to be installed to the external drive?

I successfully created a boot flash using Etcher and memtest86 image to test my early 2014 MacBook Air memory. Iím wondering if there is an equivalent utility to test a SSD?

Is it possible to create a bootable flash drive that will run a standalone SSD / harddrive test? I sucessfully did this for testing RAM using memtest86 and my Mac memory seems to be okay.

Your Mac's Specs
    There is Apple Diagnostics, About macOS Recovery - Apple Support. But that may also require your internal drive to be functioning properly?

I found this at the bottom of that article;
    • Hold down Option-D at startup to attempt to start Apple Diagnostics over the Internet.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    When you erased both volumes on your SSD, did you also partition it back to one large 128GB Volume? If not it might still be 2 smaller partitions like it was before you erased.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    When you erased both volumes on your SSD, did you also partition it back to one large 128GB Volume? If not it might still be 2 smaller partitions like it was before you erased.
    Iím not sure because thatís when it bricked. The boot diagnostics using Command + D didnít work. I thought it was because I hosed the SSD.

Your Mac's Specs
    It might be time to make an appointment at your closes Apple, :: Apple - Support - Sorry ::
    -- Bob --

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    It might be time to make an appointment at your closes Apple, :: Apple - Support - Sorry ::
    I did on Friday. Iíll be there Tuesday afternoon. Thx.

I will try to run the burnin software from the same source that makes memtest86. The Linux version boots on the MacBook, which is cool.

Just an update: I did get Ubuntu Linux installed and the hardware seems okay. The drive utility states that the SSD is running at 100F. Seems warm but who knows.

Now Iíll perform some hardware diagnostics and prove to myself that the hardware is okay. Then on Tuesday itís off to visit the Apple folks who hopefully can help me reinstall the Mac OS.

Many thanks to everyone that offered help/advice/tips.

Thread Information