Macbook pro black screen
    Need some help. Using a Macbook pro (not sure of the exact version). Today I downloaded a 26 MB drupal package zip file and the screen went black. So far cannot get anything to display. Here are the steps Ive tried so far:

-Holding down power and powering on with and without the power adapter

-control option p and r buttons on startup

-control and 0 and F options to go into recovery mode

-hooking up to an external monitor via the DVI port

-holding down shift while powering up for safe mode

-holding down alt while powering up for recovery mode

None of the above steps worked for me unfortunately. The laptop light comes on and off each time so there is definitely power and I dont hear any signs of hard disk issues. Outside of possible hardware display issues any suggestions on how to fix this?

Macbook pro black screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    If connecting an external monitor to the computer didn't help...then this could mean something serious.

As far as booting into the Recovery Partition. You mentioned two methods above (which I do not recognize). If I want to boot into the Recovery Partition...I usually press the two-key combo of command+r.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Macbook pro black screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    Have you tried starting the computer and holding down the Command + R keys? That opens up the recovery mode screen.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Macbook pro black screen
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

First off: some comments on your keyboard combinations.

Recovery Mode is holding the Command + R keys immediately after the start-up chime - Refs: About macOS Recovery - Apple Support and How to start up your Mac in Recovery Mode (Not 0 and F - and not alt on its own)

And here are the keyboard combinations for all the other options: Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

So to start with try to boot into Recovery and Use Disk Utility (DU) to Run First Aid on the HD.

You could try Safe Mode as described in link above - Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

Can you tell us which Operating System (OS) the Mac is running?

Ian
    Ian

Yes my apologies I was entering those shortcuts by memory but I definitely used the right combinations. Unfortunately there is no way for me to confirm the version of OS due to the inability to see anything on the screen

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

First off: some comments on your keyboard combinations.

Recovery Mode is holding the Command + R keys immediately after the start-up chime - Refs: About macOS Recovery - Apple Support and How to start up your Mac in Recovery Mode (Not 0 and F - and not alt on its own)

And here are the keyboard combinations for all the other options: Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

So to start with try to boot into Recovery and Use Disk Utility (DU) to Run First Aid on the HD.

You could try Safe Mode as described in link above - Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

Can you tell us which Operating System (OS) the Mac is running?

Ian
    Last edited by pigoo3; 04-30-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Macbook pro black screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    If you can't see anything on the builtin display or an external display...and trying all of the items mentioned above (boot into Recovery Partition, PRAM Reset, SMC Rest, ext)...then it's very possible something video related has failed on the logic board.

- Nick

p.s. Moved thread to better area (notebooks).
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Macbook pro black screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    You do not mention what year your Macbook Pro is. Just wondering because the 2016-2017 (and I believe the 2015) models have an issue with screen cable failure.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Well to make the story even more sad I was actually using the macbook from a friend who let me borrow it for job searching when the machine crashed so unfortunately I have no idea when it was purchased and I don't want ask him as he will know that the laptop is inoperable under my usage and then blame me for causing it to crash LOL. Worst case I may have to foot the bill even though the cause of the crash is likely not my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    You do not mention what year your Macbook Pro is. Just wondering because the 2016-2017 (and I believe the 2015) models have an issue with screen cable failure.

Lisa

Macbook pro black screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    One of the key troubleshooting steps with this computer was testing with the external monitor. Since you said you get nothing on the external monitor...this may indicate a logic board issue. If you had gotten something on the external display...then it might have been a built-in display issue or an internal cable issue (a more repairable & favorable result).

- Nick

Yeah I figure its something display related on the hw side for sure. Any ideas on how much that may cost to fix? I'm up in the Toronto area if that helps.

Macbook pro black screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    That's the point I'm trying to make...very possibly not builtin display related...but logic board related (video hardware on logic board). If it was builtin display related...then there would be a good chance the external display would operate & display everything properly.

As far as repair costs. We haven't been given any model info thus far...but suffice it to say...the newer the more expensive...and overall...replacing a logic board is probably the #1 most expensive repair.

If that external display was displaying things...then the repair might not be as expensive...and could be as simple as a bad or loose cable.

- Nick

Thread Information