Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10 year on Macbook Pro is needing replacing, Help to get the right one

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac book pro, 3.06Ghz intel core 2 due, 4gb memory,version 10.6.8 snow leopard
    So bought my first Macbook Pro laptop 10 years ago and bought a high spec model as was doing a lot of video editing so was using Final Cut. Its now coming to a point where the laptop is taking 3-5 minutes to fully start up and ready to use and over all feels slow.

I bought a mid 2009 17 inch Mac book pro, 3.06Ghz intel core 2 due, 4gb memory,version 10.6.8 snow leopard and I have now upgraded it to 8gb memeory and is running El Capitan (can get any newer) I tried to install an SSD drive but it just wouldnt work inside my laptop but connecting it to the usb port externally it did (was advised it could be a cable issue)

Anyway, however much I dont want to loose my 17 inch I think im at the time I need to take the pludge and invest in a new model and wanted to get advice on the minimal requirements i need.

The main use for my laptop is
    - Google applications like calender, excel, word, drive, etc
    - Photo transferering and uploading to Shutterstock with some editing
    - Watching movies and also creating/editing movies but not at Final Cut level yet but possible for the future
    - Openemu for Retro Gaming
    - Outlook for work / Webbrowers for Work
    - uploading/downloading photos and videos
    - Airplay
    - Bootcamp

Not sure if a 13/15 inch is right for me as thinking to bounce it off airplay or connect to an external screen if need be.

Just need to know what a good requirement is to keep this all running for a long time.

thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    First thought is ANYTHING you get will be wayyy faster than a 2009 MacBook Pro...so no matter what you choose...it will be a speed-demon!

2nd...need to decide on a 13" or 15" display. If you're used to a 17" display for the last 10 years...going with a 13" display might be disappointing. I know you mentioned connecting to an external display (whcih is always a great idea)...but if you go mobile much...then you will only have a 13" display to work with.

3rd...if you want a dedicated video hardware (like your 17" has)...then you got to go with a 15" MacBook Pro. The video hardware on a 13" MacBook Pro (integrated) will be wayyy better than what your 17" has now...but having dual video hardware (integrated & dedicated) may be what you want if you do a lot o video/graphics heavy activities.

4th...maybe share with us you're maximum budget. Knowing the max. budget can usually narrow things down a bit.

5th...since it's been a long long time since you've purchased a new Apple computer. In case you're not aware...RAM & internal storage are no longer upgradeable. Thus you pretty much need to purchase your new computer will all the RAM & internal storage it will ever need.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    First thought is ANYTHING you get will be wayyy faster than a 2009 MacBook Pro...so no matter what you choose...it will be a speed-demon!

2nd...need to decide on a 13" or 15" display. If you're used to a 17" display for the last 10 years...going with a 13" display might be disappointing. I know you mentioned connecting to an external display (whcih is always a great idea)...but if you go mobile much...then you will only have a 13" display to work with.

3rd...if you want a dedicated video hardware (like your 17" has)...then you got to go with a 15" MacBook Pro. The video hardware on a 13" MacBook Pro (integrated) will be wayyy better than what your 17" has now...but having dual video hardware (integrated & dedicated) may be what you want if you do a lot o video/graphics heavy activities.

4th...maybe share with us you're maximum budget. Knowing the max. budget can usually narrow things down a bit.

5th...since it's been a long long time since you've purchased a new Apple computer. In case you're not aware...RAM & internal storage are no longer upgradeable. Thus you pretty much need to purchase your new computer will all the RAM & internal storage it will ever need.

HTH,

- Nick

lol I'll miss my 5 minute start up where i could make a tea and a snack and the Mac would still be loading lol

I guess 15 inch will be the way to go for me then and regards to budget well with Apple doing 0% on payback I guess 1,400/1,500 would be the very max but was hoping 1,200. Did think second hand but dont want to risk it.

Thanks for the update on that, I really didnt have a clue lol probably for storage 256GB as max then i can just save anything to an external harddrive if need be and for Ram 8gb or 16gb would be the best but then should I spend the extra on Ram or CPU?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz cooke View Post
    lol I'll miss my 5 minute start up where i could make a tea and a snack and the Mac would still be loading lol
    I feel your pain...it's the price we pay for modernizing!

I guess 15 inch will be the way to go for me then...
    I know the 15" MacBook Pro's are more expensive...but...you are getting a lot more for your money as well compared to a 13":

- 15" display (which I think you'll appreciate coming from a 17" MacBook Pro).
    - Dual graphics hardware (integrated & dedicated).
    - 6 CPU cores

2018 13" MBP has 4 CPU cores...and this is only a recent development. 2017 & earlier 13" MacBook Pro's had the usual 2 cores (been this way since 2006).

...and regards to budget well with Apple doing 0% on payback I guess 1,400/1,500 would be the very max but was hoping 1,200. Did think second hand but dont want to risk it.
    Don't forget to shop Apple's refurbished area. Many times you'll save at least 15% (on available current & previous models)...possibly more.

...I really didnt have a clue lol probably for storage 256GB as max then i can just save anything to an external harddrive if need be and for Ram 8gb or 16gb would be the best but then should I spend the extra on Ram or CPU?
    The external HD storage strategy is always a great idea. As far as RAM vs. CPU. If it were me...and considering you like to keep your computers for a long time...I would definitely go with the 16gig of RAM! A little extra speed is always nice...but 5 years from now that small amount of extra speed may pale in comparison to needing more RAM.

- Nick

p.s. By the way...a Geekbench 4 CPU benchmark score speed comparison between your 17" 2009 MacBook Pro...and the lowest end model 2018 15" MacBook Pro:

- 2009 3.06GHz 17" MacBook Pro = 3,173
    - 2018 2.2GHz 15" MacBook Pro = 21,111

As you can see...2018 15" MacBook Pro CPU benchmark scores are almost 7x faster than your 2009 17" MBP!
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    I feel your pain...it's the price we pay for modernizing!

I know the 15" MacBook Pro's are more expensive...but...you are getting a lot more for your money as well compared to a 13":

- 15" display (which I think you'll appreciate coming from a 17" MacBook Pro).
    - Dual graphics hardware (integrated & dedicated).
    - 6 CPU cores

2018 13" MBP has 4 CPU cores...and this is only a recent development. 2017 & earlier 13" MacBook Pro's had the usual 2 cores (been this way since 2006).

Don't forget to shop Apple's refurbished area. Many times you'll save at least 15% (on available current & previous models)...possibly more.

The external HD storage strategy is always a great idea. As far as RAM vs. CPU. If it were me...and considering you like to keep your computers for a long time...I would definitely go with the 16gig of RAM! A little extra speed is always nice...but 5 years from now that small amount of extra speed may pale in comparison to needing more RAM.

- Nick

p.s. By the way...a Geekbench 4 CPU benchmark score speed comparison between your 17" 2009 MacBook Pro...and the lowest end model 2018 15" MacBook Pro:

- 2009 3.06GHz 17" MacBook Pro = 3,173
    - 2018 2.2GHz 15" MacBook Pro = 21,111

As you can see...2018 15" MacBook Pro CPU benchmark scores are almost 7x faster than your 2009 17" MBP!

This is why I love Apple its a smooth running system and can last years, i'll prob still use the 17inch for something as doubt anyone would guy it

I think me spending the money for the long run is the way I need to see it rather then OMG I'm droping nearly 2k and forgot the refurbish side to Apple at least thats still a safe bet.

RAM it is then (I always get myself confused working out what to go for) with regards to a CPU the I5 would be enough then?

WOW on that Benchmark im gona be going crazy with that speed lol im just amazed how long the laptop has lasted me and still works well, if I had a windows laptop I doubt i'll be saying the same thing (over 10years was the last time I had one)

Your Mac's Specs
    ...i'll prob still use the 17inch for something as doubt anyone would guy it...
    As far as the future of your 17". It's very very possible that the current internal HD in your 17" is simply on its last-legs and needs to be replaced. This is not uncommon on an older computer like this...and extreme slowness can be a strong indicator that the internal HD is heading for the "last round-up"!

The current HD in your 17" may also be very full (which can cause slowness)...check on this too.

I know you mentioned that you tried replacing the internal HD with an SSD. SSD's are getting really inexpensive (especially for 128 & 256gig models)...and would be better/faster than a replacement HD. If you're having trouble getting that SSD to work in your 17"...post a separate thread here on Mac-Forums...and we can try to figure it out.

RAM it is then (I always get myself confused working out what to go for) with regards to a CPU the I5 would be enough then?
    As far as I know...the 2018 15" MacBook Pro's only come with an i7 CPU. The i5 CPU more common in the 13" models.

WOW on that Benchmark im gona be going crazy with that speed lol
    Yeah...a 2018 15" MacBook Pro is gonna be wayyy faster than your 2009.

Here's one watch-out before pulling the trigger on a new computer. I think you mentioned having El Capitan installed on your 17". Depending what purchased apps you have installed on your 17"...the "lowest" OS version that will run on a 2018 MacBook Pro is High Sierra (macOS 10.13.6)....and it will probably arrive with the latest mac OS Mojave (10.14). So you want to be sure/aware of the purchased apps you have installed...if they are compatible with High Sierra/Mojave...and if not...you may need to purchase upgraded versions.

- Nick

As far as the future of your 17". It's very very possible that the current internal HD in your 17" is simply on its last-legs and needs to be replaced. This is not uncommon on an older computer like this...and extreme slowness can be a strong indicator that the internal HD is heading for the "last round-up"!

The current HD in your 17" may also be very full (which can cause slowness)...check on this too.
    I was wondering about the slow start up myself.

I had some older MacBook pros including 2009 models and I don't think any of them took anywhere close to 5 minutes to start up.

Besides what Nick suggested, also take a look at your start up items - I found some apps decided on their own to install themselves there.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I was wondering about the slow start up myself.

I had some older MacBook pros including 2009 models and I don't think any of them took anywhere close to 5 minutes to start up.

Besides what Nick suggested, also take a look at your start up items - I found some apps decided on their own to install themselves there.

That sure seems excessively slow and sure not a normal boot time for a 2009 MBPro, even though it probably is running an original 5400 RPM HDD, not exactly a fast HDD.

- Patrick
    ======

I just tested my boot up time.
    Running El Capitan on a 2012 MacMini with a 2.5 GHz i5 and the original 512GB drive.

El Capitan is definitely slower to start up that SnowLeopard.
    One strange thing is that it takes a good 30 seconds for the Apple logo to appear on the screen, in SL it was there pretty much right away.
    If my monitor power light didn't come on when I first hit the power button on the Mini I would have thought the Mini wasn't coming on at all.

But then it takes another 90 seconds until the El Capitan screen shows up with the various log in options and the log in after that is just a few seconds - so total from hitting the power button until the desktop is up is about 2 minutes, 10 seconds.

I should also mention that I have 130 folders on the desktop right now, that might slow down the boot up a little.
    I also haven't cleaned up my Mac, like running Onyx or anything like that.
    But I normally leave my Mac on 24/7, so I assume the maintenance scripts run as required.

Your Mac's Specs
    I know you mentioned that you tried replacing the internal HD with an SSD. SSD's are getting really inexpensive (especially for 128 & 256gig models)...and would be better/faster than a replacement HD. If you're having trouble getting that SSD to work in your 17"...post a separate thread here on Mac-Forums...and we can try to figure it out.
    I'll take a look at the HD tonight and try giving it a clean out, regarding the SSD I did create a thread last year sometime and went through everything but it just didnt work maybe I need to revisit it again or get a computer shop to give it a try.

Here's one watch-out before pulling the trigger on a new computer. I think you mentioned having El Capitan installed on your 17". Depending what purchased apps you have installed on your 17"...the "lowest" OS version that will run on a 2018 MacBook Pro is High Sierra (macOS 10.13.6)....and it will probably arrive with the latest mac OS Mojave (10.14). So you want to be sure/aware of the purchased apps you have installed...if they are compatible with High Sierra/Mojave...and if not...you may need to purchase upgraded versions.

- Nick
    I'll double check what apps I have as never thought about that.

Thanks for the help on this Nick I have a clearer mind on my next laptop

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    That sure seems excessively slow and sure not a normal boot time for a 2009 MBPro, even though it probably is running an original 5400 RPM HDD, not exactly a fast HDD.

- Patrick
    ======
    Yeah its the 5400RPM one

Your Mac's Specs
    I'll double check what apps I have as never thought about that.

Thanks for the help on this Nick I have a clearer mind on my next laptop
    Good deal Kaz. This is one important aspect of purchasing a new computer that is sometimes over-looked (especially when its been a very long time since the last new purchase). Get so wrapped up in the new computer spec's, models, and performance comparisons. Then when someone gets their new computer home...they discover that many of their apps won't run...and they may need to spend hundreds or thousands of $$$/ to purchase updated software (especially if they use expensive apps).

Maybe this is where using "Cloud" based apps or monthly subscription based apps...can have an advantage over user installed local apps.

Good luck. Definitely let us know if & what you purchase.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Quick question

Someone has a new MacBook Pro that I can get discounted it’s all legit but it’s a German make so more then likely the keyboard has the Z and Y mixed up. Would there me any major problems with using it? Thanks

When I lived in Germany for a few years, the biggest problem I had with a German keyboard was the lack of the @ symbol which is used for every email address.
    I eventually found a key combination for thst, but it was still a nuisance since I use that fairly often.

And btw - there are a lot more differences than just the "X" and "Y" interchanged, there are special keys for the three Umlauts and the "sharp" s, so these keys on a US keyboard are either missing (need special key combination strokes) or are moved elsewhere.
    But for me the missing @ key was the biggie.

When I lived in Germany for a few years, the biggest problem I had with a German keyboard was the lack of the @ symbol which is used for every email address.

Do they not do normal email addressing in Germany???

There seems to be an optional "@" symbol on the "L" key on this MacBook Keyboard image.
    No, I don't know what year or model the image is from.

PS: If your typing is anything like mine — poor, or my attempts using a French-Canadian keyboard some years ago — atrocious, I sure wouldn't bother trying to use a German one if your main typing will be in English or US, regardless of money savings!!
    My mental state is worth more than the frustration it can create trying to use such a keyboard!!!

K1nww.gif

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 04-26-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Do they not do normal email addressing in Germany???

There seems to be an optional "@" symbol on the "L" key on this MacBook Keyboard image.
    Yes, they do use the @ symbol for emails.

But it seems the @ symbol on German keyboards is normally generated when you hit ctr + opt + q
    The option on the L key seems to be Mac unique.

I used a Windows computer when I had the problem years ago and there was no key marked with an "@" - I had to go ask how to type it.

Thread Information