Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

USB key not showing.
    Hi.

i have a curious problem.
    I own a couple of macs,one is a 13" macbook retina 2012. On this machine one of my usb keys doesnt work when pluged directly into either of usb ports. it will mount though if i use a usb extension cable. my other usb keys work fine and said usb keys fine on other machines.

Can some one let me know what might be the problem please.

USB key not showing.
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Hi ferrarr.

Thanks for your help.

I tried both of these this morning.still no joy. I have just backed up my mac, wiped the hard drive and done a fresh install of Mjoave.
    Again repeated the smc and pram resets and still the same issue USB key not showing..

As you can see it's mounted using the USB extension cable.
    But not when directly connected.
    1555163703044.jpeg1555163781946.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Mac-Forums mobile app

USB key not showing.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    USB keys are inexpensive and not worth messing with. The key that needs the extension cable is likely damaged or the connectors are misaligned so that it works with the extension and not directly plugged in. Get your data off the key and throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    USB keys are inexpensive and not worth messing with. The key that needs the extension cable is likely damaged or the connectors are misaligned so that it works with the extension and not directly plugged in. Get your data off the key and throw it away.
    That would be my suggestion as well.
    I had a bunch of USB 3.0 flash drives that would not mount on a 2017 MacBook air, although all USB 2.0 Flash drives mounted fine.
    I initially thought that the USB connectors were misaligned or something like that, but resetting the SMC "fixed" my problem.

However in your case where the drive mounts using a cable but not when connected directly, sure points to some hardware incompatibility between the USB connector on the Mac and the Flash drive.
    If you have done the SMC reset correctly then tossing the drive is the next option - or if the USB drive is really expensive, you could either continue to use it with the cable or see if you can get it replaced under warranty.

USB key not showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Exactly. The contact pins on the flash drive are just off enough in alignment to not make proper contact.

I tried both of these this morning.still no joy. I have just backed up my mac, wiped the hard drive and done a fresh install of Mjoave.
    Sorry, but an excessive waste of time for such a problem, and I think you might mean you have a Mac book Pro as I don't believe there's such a one is a 13" macbook retina 2012 model.

Also, If it is a MacBook Pro Retina with an SSD drive, wiping the hard drive as you said you did, is not actually really recommended.

I'd suggest doing what chscag suggested‚ Get your data off the key and throw it away. Or at least don't rely on it for critical data storage.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Sorry, but an excessive waste of time for such a problem
    Depends on the USB Flash drive - driffty didn't say how big it is, but I wouldn't just want to throw out a 256GB or 512GB drive.

USB key not showing.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That's certain true. Amazon sells both sizes and it looks like you can pay anywhere from $99 and up for a 512GB flash drive and around $40 for the 256 GB size. I'm sure you can find them a bit cheaper on eBay.

USB key not showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Depends on the USB Flash drive - driffty didn't say how big it is, but I wouldn't just want to throw out a 256GB or 512GB drive.

Quite right, and I didn't consider it might be a BIG flash drive as far as just getting rid of it, and maybe it has some warranty left as it appears to be somewhat wonky.

- Patrick
    ======

It is actually 2013 model. But definitely a retina.
    Too much time maybe but it's frustrating as it's a brand new USB Drive I bought for its fast transfer rate. It works fine on all other devices.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Mac-Forums mobile app

@ driffty - Did you try am SMC reset on your Mac?
    I had trouble with my 2017 MacBook air not recognizing USB 3.0 flash drives (USB 2.0 ones were fine) and I now 'fixed' that twice with an SMC reset

PS: Haven't had time to find a more permanent "fix" or verified if the problem is only with a specific make of USB 3.0.
    I have four USB 3.0 flash drives but they are all the same manufacturer - Verbatim.
    I now also have some new Kingston USB 3.0 flash drives; I'll check those next time the Verbatim ones don't mount.

USB key not showing.
    Too much time maybe but it's frustrating as it's a brand new USB Drive I bought for its fast transfer rate. It works fine on all other devices.

What does your System Information show when the flash drive is plugged in but not mounting?

Access System Information by holding down option key while you click the apple icon(menu bar)

Also, does it show up in Disk Utility.app when connected but not mounted?

But it sure sounds like some miss-alignment of the contacts to me.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information