Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A final postscript to this thread: The external drive is now decrypted (a 24 hour process for the 400 GB content!), but it still does not show any Time Machine backups on the right-hand vertical timeline. The backed-up material is there in dated folders, but any recovered data must be retrieved manually. So it appears one cannot encrypt an existing Time Machine drive, but a new drive may be encrypted before being used for TM>

No Time Machine with Encrypted HD
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    The proper way to encrypt Time Machine s witting the Time Machine control panel.

Keep your Time Machine backup disk for Mac secure - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Another postscript for the archives of what-can-go-wrong.

Once I determined that decrypting my external HD would not restore its Time Machine capacity, I re-encrypted the drive. It took three days. And now, the "Enter password" window is very slow to appear, slow to respond, and many folders are "aliases" (when opened, the message appears: "The alias "Desktop" can't be opened because the original item can't be found").

I don't believe these aliases were present before the re-crypting. Ran Disk Utility, and got a long list of "error: Underallocation Detected on Main Device". I thing it's fair to conclude the HD is toast... perhaps due to due to the decrypting/re-encrypting?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Did you run DU on the hardware itself? That's the higher level, not indented, item in DU. It looks to me like the multiple attempts to encrypt/decrypt the drive has mucked up the directory structure, which would be fixed by reformatting, but no point in doing that if DU reports problems with the hardware.
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Thats a handy thing to know. TM task progress (or the lack of it) has always been a bit of a sore point for me. When a task takes this long it's pretty valuable to know where it's at and indeed if it's doing anything at all.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information