Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

MS Office on Jet Drive
    Hi All

I was hoping someone would be able to help me....

I have a MacBook Air and have added a Transcend JetDrive 128gb which slots into the side.

The main reason for this is so that I can load Office 365 from my MS Account which I need for work. When I try to do this I get 'Microsoft Office can not be installed on this disk. MacOS isn't installed'

Is there a way that I can do this?

Thanks in advance

Steve

MS Office on Jet Drive
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Steve. A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I had to look up what a Transcend JetDrive 128gb was and find that it is a Storage Expansion Card.

Having understood that, the problems are:

1. What have you actually put on the Card? Word docs, PowerPoint files? They can all be read by macOS, but if you need to retain the Microsoft Format and alter the data, then you do need Microsoft Office.

Have you loaded Microsoft Office programme onto the Card? and if so, then:

2. You would appear not to have license privileges to run Office on the Card

3. So, as I see it, you would need to get the 365 Office put on your MB Air in order to access/read/write/alter the data on the Expansion Card. The 365 subscription does offer cross-platform capabilities so that can work on Windows PCs and Mac Devices seamlessly.

That's my take on the problem. Others may have other ideas.

Ian
    Ian

MS Office on Jet Drive
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I think you will need to store your “media”, like docs, music, video, etc., on the drive, and not apps.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

MS Office on Jet Drive
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I don't have Office 365 installed so I can't be 100% sure of the following but I think the problem lies in how Microsoft products are installed on a Mac. Typically Office creates a user profile inside a user's home folder and puts a number of files there as well as a few other places on the boot drive. I think Office 365 is expecting to find all of its files, except user-created documents of course, on the same drive.

If you have already tried to put Office on the Jet drive, did you do it from the installer or did you try to just copy an existing installation from yuor main drive?
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

MS Office on Jet Drive
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    As far as I'm aware, Microsoft does not allow installation of its apps or operating systems on other than internal drives. As Ian pointed out above, it's a licensing thing. Office 365 is licensed for a PC or Mac, not an external card or hard drive. The Transcend Jet Drive will appear to the Office 365 licensing wizard as an external hard drive.

The Transcend Jet Drive is an excellent way to add storage to a machine with limited drive space but it has its limitations.

Thread Information