Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MacBook Pro 15-inch 2018 Trackpad issues
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    I wonder what causes only some portions of the trackpad to fail? I wonder if there's a problem with sensing pressure from finger input.

Have you tried turning the forceclick and haptic feedback off and back on after a while?
    3.0GHz 10core Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6core Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4core Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz 6core i7 15" MacBook Pro w/TB 15.12.3GHz 4core i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro 11.32.4GHz C2D 15" MacBook Pro 5.12.4GHz C2D 13" MacBook Pro 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MBP15, 2.9 i9, 32GB, 4TB, Vega 20 4GB, 2019 MBA 13, 256GB, iPhone6s, Apple TV, Airport Exp & Ex
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    I wonder what causes only some portions of the trackpad to fail? I wonder if there's a problem with sensing pressure from finger input.

Have you tried turning the forceclick and haptic feedback off and back on after a while?
    It's a good idea, thanks. I tried turning the heptic feedback on and off and it doesn't make any difference. It's quite frustrating when you are busily working and the track pad intermittently stops responding at the edges. Apple definitely failed at least twice so far with my MBP, when they advertised

"Force Touch Trackpad
    The Force Touch trackpad lets you interact with your Mac in a variety of ways based on subtle differences in pressure. You have precise control and a uniform response — NO MATTER WHERE YOU CLICK ON THE TRACKPAD — as well as plenty of room for Multi-Touch gestures like pinch and zoom. Your fingers will feel right at home."

Do you think it might be poor quality control? My request for assistance from Apple is not unanswered. The did leave a message on my answering machine last night around midnight. They want me to know that they are available if I need to follow up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I believe the Apple stores have more leniency than the service centers do, which is the reason the stores are significantly much more busier. In my opinion, it is always better to deal with the manufacturer, than it is to deal with a "sub contractor".
    Thanks, I will follow your advice and take it to the apple store the next time.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MBP15, 2.9 i9, 32GB, 4TB, Vega 20 4GB, 2019 MBA 13, 256GB, iPhone6s, Apple TV, Airport Exp & Ex
    The case regarding the issues with the trackpad is now closed. After the third occurrence, Apple promptly replaced the MBP and closed the case.

What seems odd however, is that the issue did not disappear with the new machine. After testing other machines at the store as well, it would appear that the problem exists with machines of a certain vintage. It did not exist on my older machines (2008 and 2012). I have reported it to Apple but have not had a response as yet.

It would be interesting to know the extent of the issue. If you have a newer machine and wish to test it, here’s what you can do. Alternate between using the the right and left of the trackpad. Stay approximately 1/2 - 3/4 inches from the edge. Track on the right, then click on the left. Repeat, but click on the same spot. In my experience, after about the 5th click, the clicking becomes unresponsive. Sometimes, the tracking would fail on the right as well. Also, tracking on the left and clicking on the right produces similar results. As noted above, I have been using the trackpad this way with my earlier MacBooks without any issue. Would appreciate your feedback.

Your Mac's Specs
    Apple engineering is currently investigating the problem.

Thread Information