Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MacBook Pro 15-inch 2018 Trackpad issues
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vision Dreamer View Post
    I reached out to an Apple Senior Adviser regarding replacing the unit. I was told that the criteria for replacement is three repairs for the same issue. Thus, the track-pad would have to fail three times which is unlikely. With the number of ribbon cables, screws and heat shields to deal with when the machine is opened, it is very worrisome considering the unit has been opened three times already and will be opened again to logic board.
    Just me, but I think I'd dig in a bit more. I'd raise a fuss that clearly there was a quality control issue on their part and that you've been without the machine for long enough and now the problem is cascading to more components. I might even be inclined to do it in person at the Apple Store and get loud so that it is apparent to other customers. You paid premium prices for mediocre quality -- where's the premium experience? Why doesn't Apple stand behind their products for a loyal customer? All things that I would loudly exclaim. I'll bet you walk out with a new machine.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I am not usually the type that raises voices but in this case with all you have had to deal with for a Top of the line high end machine, I think I would do what Chris suggested. its' been apart 3 times. It's about time they give you another machine.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MBP15, 2.9 i9, 32GB, 4TB, Vega 20 4GB, 2019 MBA 13, 256GB, iPhone6s, Apple TV, Airport Exp & Ex
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Just me, but I think I'd dig in a bit more. I'd raise a fuss that clearly there was a quality control issue on their part and that you've been without the machine for long enough and now the problem is cascading to more components. I might even be inclined to do it in person at the Apple Store and get loud so that it is apparent to other customers. You paid premium prices for mediocre quality -- where's the premium experience? Why doesn't Apple stand behind their products for a loyal customer? All things that I would loudly exclaim. I'll bet you walk out with a new machine.
    I tried the best with two different Apple senior advisers yesterday and today, for a replacement but no luck. They explained that they never ever replace machines unless it's the same issue three times.

Regarding your suggestion about making noise. Apple stores are usually busy where shouting may work, but I took it to an "authorized repair depot" for three reasons. (1) Apple recommended them. (2) It is down to street from where I live while the closest apple store is in the next town. (3) The apple store had estimated a week while the guys down the street promised two hours. I was very happy about the prospects of parting with my coveted MBP for only two hours. Little good did that do, because it's been more t a week since I dropped it off. Also, shouting would not work at the authorized repair depot (Jump+) because they are never busy.

The latest from the tech. regarding the repair is that the wrong logic board was delivered yesterday. My guess is that standard logic boards would be readily available but a logic board with a beefed up components (CPU, RAM, SSD and graphics), would likely have to built and shipped from their facility in China. They said it would be here tomorrow!!!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The latest from the tech. regarding the repair is that the wrong logic board was delivered yesterday. My guess is that standard logic boards would be readily available but a logic board with a beefed up components (CPU, RAM, SSD and graphics), would likely have to built and shipped from their facility in China. They said it would be here tomorrow!!!
    Keep your fingers crossed and hope that they don't replace the logic board with a refurbished one. I hate to be the carrier of bad news, but typically that's what they do. Also make sure they burn the original serial number to the new board. They should be prepared to do that if they're an authorized Apple repair depot.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MBP15, 2.9 i9, 32GB, 4TB, Vega 20 4GB, 2019 MBA 13, 256GB, iPhone6s, Apple TV, Airport Exp & Ex
    The new logic board arrived Friday afternoon. I had visions of my repaired MBP in my hands by the of the day. Then, it was explained to me that the top case is paired with the logic board and they did not send the matching top case along with the new logic board. I am not sure what was wrong with the first top case but a second one was ordered and is scheduled to arrive on Monday. So more waiting....

Being extremely frustrated, I called apple again and spoke with someone in customer service about a replacement. They did indicate that a replacement will be considered only if the repairs are not completed by March 23rd. Although, same day service after the parts were delivered, was originally promised, Apple is saying within 14 days is acceptable.

If the MBP was one year old or even 6 months, or abused and something went wrong, I can understand waiting for repairs. However, this unit is barely broken in, in pristine condition, and it failed. I would expect Apple to be extremely embarrassed that a premium machine would fail so quickly, replace it without hesitation, then go away and determine how to prevent it from happening again.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Actually, I'm surprised that they did not offer you a new machine from the start. I have read thru threads on other Apple forums where the genius bar replaced the defective unit without question, and sometimes for lesser problems than you indicated.

You might want to consider writing a letter to Apple Canada about your experiences with this particular machine. Hopefully you've been documenting everything that has transpired and keeping all correspondence from Apple as proof.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I think most of his problem stems from this:
    but I took it to an "authorized repair depot" for three reasons. (1) Apple recommended them. (2) It is down to street from where I live while the closest apple store is in the next town. (3) The apple store had estimated a week while the guys down the street promised two hours.
    He didn't GO to Apple, he called them. He didn't take the machine to Apple, he took it to an authorized repair person (albeit one recommended by Apple).

I think, had he taken it to the nearest Apple store, he would have gotten an immediate replacement. But now it's in the hands of this "depot" guy who doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

Apple Canada may help, but I personally think sugar works better than vinegar in this kind of situation. If the new machine comes back with ANY new marks or scuffs from this depot, I would take it to the Apple store in the next town and have a pleasant discussion with the manager, face to face, explaining the whole saga and simply saying that "I have a machine with this and this damage from an Apple-recommended repair depot, after waiting this long. What can, will, Apple do to make it right?"
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    He didn't GO to Apple, he called them. He didn't take the machine to Apple, he took it to an authorized repair person (albeit one recommended by Apple).

I think, had he taken it to the nearest Apple store, he would have gotten an immediate replacement. But now it's in the hands of this "depot" guy who doesn't seem to know what he is doing.
    Jake, thanks for your assessment. I agree 100 percent. As I noted earlier, the promised 1-2 hours turnaround time was the main factor which convinced me to use the depot. Now I am living with my mistakes. I must however give a lot of credit to the “depot guy”. The MBP was returned yesterday and it appears to be in excellent condition, cosmetically. That being said, sometimes scuffs, dings and other issues are not immediately obvious.

To recap, last Friday the new logic board had arrived but without the matching “top case”. A “top case” was ordered which arrived on Monday. It was installed and tested the same day and I was able to pick up the machine yesterday (Tuesday).

It took 6 hours to install the latest time-machine backup only to discover that the new track pad is displaying similar symptoms but this time not only on the left, but the right side as well, where it would intermittently freeze.

According to my calculation, it’s been a total of sixteen frustrating days thus far and the machine is still malfunctioning. Needless to say, I am stunned and possibly irrational as a result, so I should take a few deep breaths before responding. However, I see two possible options. (1) take it back to the “depot guy” or, (2) contact Apple. I would expect Apple to tell me to take it back to the “depot guy” to complete the job.

Your Mac's Specs
    I would offer a third option. Take the machine to the nearest Apple store and ask for the manager. Explain (calmly) what you have been through and say, politely, that you don't have confidence in that Apple depot any more and what can he/she do for you? If you use a bit of sugar instead of vinegar, the manager may find a way to be of greater help than anyone on a phone.

Good luck with it.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Apparently, there is a rule at Apple where, if the repair takes more than 14 woking days, the machine would be replaced. However, it doesn't matter that it's been three weeks since the machine was first taken in to the depot, nor does it matter that the problem with the trackpad still exists, the rule no longer applies since the machine was handed back to me. Apple's response is to simply take it back and have the top case replaced again. It was really funny when Apple customer service noted how bad they felt and offered to pay for the repairs for a machine that is under warranty and also have AppleCare+.

To add to the frustration, their senior advisers seem to be shying away from this issue. I say "this issue" because I have contacted Apple in the past about software issues and the follow-up was very good till there was a solution. However, with this track-pad issue, I get promises from Senior Advisers that they will "own the problem" till it is solved. They provide extension numbers and email addresses but will not return calls nor respond to emails.

What's next! Looks like they have dug-in and will not replace the machine. Unfortunately, it must go back in again for the same issue.

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm confused. Do you have the machine back, and is it working? If so, then why press for a replacement at this point? You have a working machine repaired by an Apple depot level technician. If it's not working, then the 14 day argument may apply. Or has it failed again? I don't understand the "it must go back in again" comment.

If you have it and it's working, I would suggest you put this behind you and get on with using the machine the way you want. If you continue to fret over it, you won't have any fun with it at all.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Jake, he is still having trackpad issues since he got the machine back. Thus his complaint.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I'm confused. Do you have the machine back, and is it working? If so, then why press for a replacement at this point? You have a working machine repaired by an Apple depot level technician. If it's not working, then the 14 day argument may apply. Or has it failed again? I don't understand the "it must go back in again" comment.

If you have it and it's working, I would suggest you put this behind you and get on with using the machine the way you want. If you continue to fret over it, you won't have any fun with it at all.
    My apologies for not being clear. I do have the machine back. Ttrack pad is intermittently failing on both sides now, which is worse than the original problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    Have you actually taken it in to your nearest Apple store? Not called, but showed up in person? Make an appointment with one of the Geniuses at the Genius Bar and demonstrate the issue and give the history. Be polite, see if the manager will make the swap. Apple locally wants to keep people happy and managers have a pretty wide latitude to do that. Just remember, you get more with honey than vinegar.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I believe the Apple stores have more leniency than the service centers do, which is the reason the stores are significantly much more busier. In my opinion, it is always better to deal with the manufacturer, than it is to deal with a "sub contractor".
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information