Exclamation MacBook pro 2011 13" Fan spin Until RAM is installed BOARD REPAIR
    I have a macbook pro 2011 13" thats a little trippy. Without the ram the fan spins up as is should and stays on, when i install the ram, either 1 or 2 into the slots it quarter fan spins. ive been stuck on this for the past week or so and am finally asking around the internet for help. If anyone knows board repairs or anything that can help thank you!

MacBook pro 2011 13" Fan spin Until RAM is installed BOARD REPAIR
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to our forums.

What does "quarter fan spins" mean"? When you insert the ram modules does the fan spin up continuously or does it spin slowly and then stop? And lastly, have you tried new ram modules or one module at a time?

Quarter fan spin, where the fan spins then stops.... I’ve tried different ram modules of course, and I tried them one at a time, without the ram the fan spins fine, obviously not booting but fan spins and stays spun, with the ram installed it spins up then shuts off..

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trustm8 View Post
    Quarter fan spin, where the fan spins then stops.... I’ve tried different ram modules of course, and I tried them one at a time, without the ram the fan spins fine, obviously not booting but fan spins and stays spun, with the ram installed it spins up then shuts off..
    I know you mentioned that you tried diferent RAM modules & tried installing the RAM one at a time. My question is...is the correct RAM being used? What I mean is...is the RAM being used the proper RAm for a 2011 13" MacBook Pro...and not some random RAM pulled out of a box full of miscellaneous RAM.

From what I'm reading so far...this sounds like a perfect description of the incorrect RAM being used (assuming this MacBook Pro doesn't have damaged RAM slots, the computer is not water-damaged in some way, the computer has not been damaged due to dropping, etc.).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Duh it’s been running fine with it for years.. then all of a sudden stopped working.. it’ll once in a while boot but it won’t dtay on for long

Your Mac's Specs
    As suggested above by Nick, it sounds like the ram module slots, both or one, may be the problem. Either that, or it may be a logic board problem. Today, Jan 31, is the last day your MacBook Pro will be supported by Apple. After today, it's vintage. If you can get to an Apple Store real quick and have them run diagnostics, that might tell you if it's the logic board or something else. Diagnostics at an Apple Store are free.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trustm8 View Post
    Duh it’s been running fine with it for years.. then all of a sudden stopped working.. it’ll once in a while boot but it won’t dtay on for long
    I know this is a long shot...but make super-duper sure the RAM is seated fully.

Also be 100% sure none of the little gold pins in the RAM slots are bent or missing (sometimes you need a magnifying glass to see things clearly). They are very very fragile.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Today, Jan 31, is the last day your MacBook Pro will be supported by Apple. After today, it's vintage.

Man, that could be a real buggar if they are in Australia or further west as it's already tomorrah over there!!!

BTW: I didn't know a MacBook Pro could actually boot without any RAM installed:
    Without the ram the fan spins up as is should and stays on, ...

Hmmm...???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    BTW: I didn't know a MacBook Pro could actually boot without any RAM installed:
    It can't, and he didn't say it booted up. All he said was the fans turned on and then turned off when the ram modules were installed. The fans would still turn on if there were no ram modules installed since power would still be applied to the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It can't, and he didn't say it booted up. All he said was the fans turned on and then turned off when the ram modules were installed. The fans would still turn on if there were no ram modules installed since power would still be applied to the machine.

Thanks for the clarification, Charlie. And it does seem a bit odd behaviour for sure. Gremlins??? Or at least something acting like an electrical switch and supplying power somehow.

EDIT: Sometimes referred to as an electrical short!!!

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 02-01-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Have you tried any resets? Start with the SMC, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295, it may need to be performed a couple of times? Then the NVRAM reset, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information