Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I love my new 2018 MBP but.........
    MBP 15" 2018.

Got this for my birthday and very pleased with it but I feel Apple have missed the plot a bit by not having all the usual attachment slots. No SD card slot, no HDMI and no charging indicator which its really annoying as one has to open up to see when charged.

One now has to buy a multi adapter which does have all the missing things on it, I've got a Lenovo, but that's another thing to carry around with you (or forget)!

Apart from that, nice bit of kit!

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Wowee! Lucky you. Is it the model with the touch bar? What do you think of it, my wife loves hers?
    Yes I agree about the charge light, I can see I would miss that but I think it's just habit. I mean if I take it somewhere I know it's charged when I take it and I plug it in when I get home. I don't need to know it's charging because I think the new connection is a bit more reliable than the MagLock connector.

Hi Rod. Yes, with the touch bar, fingerprint unlock etc. Overall, love it! Very fast for processing my photos etc.
    I guess it doesn't hurt for it to stay on charge, I don't think one can over charge it? Yes, the new cable is far better than the old style, the cable feels much stronger, but have to be careful not to trip over the cable as it won't disconnect as the mag one would.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddar-caveman View Post
    MBP 15" 2018.

Got this for my birthday and very pleased with it but I feel Apple have missed the plot a bit by not having all the usual attachment slots. No SD card slot, no HDMI and no charging indicator which its really annoying as one has to open up to see when charged.

One now has to buy a multi adapter which does have all the missing things on it, I've got a Lenovo, but that's another thing to carry around with you (or forget)!

Apart from that, nice bit of kit!
    Congrats on the 2018 MacBook Pro...especially since it's a 15" model!

As far as the ports. Not exactly a new thing...been this way since the 2015 models on the 15" MacBook Pro. Apple since almost the beginning of time has almost always been "tweeking" the ports. We as users tend to invest in various peripherals & adapters to fit our needs...then Apple changes the ports (or the number of them) on us...then we have to find solutions (new adapters or hubs)...so we can keep using our external devices.

I've gotten used to this over all the years. Just about the only way to avoid it (and still stay Apple-Loyal)...is to never upgrade (which of course is a silly thought!

Enjoy that new beast!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I am dreading the day I have to replace my 2015 MBP!
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

As am I

Your Mac's Specs
    I reckon we have a few years yet. I have been running Mojave beta on my late 2015 MBP for a while and now the GS. With Dark Mode and the many updated native and third party apps it's like a new device. My wife had to invest in an adaptor for her new MBP which fits neatly on either side and provides a card reader, 2 X Thunderbolt 3, 2 X USB and HDMI which is fine for her as her device is usually in one place. For all those other times we also got a single Thunderbolt to USB 2 adaptor just for charging and syncing portable peripherals like her iPhone. This leads me to wonder, does the new iPhone come with a double ended Thunderbolt 3 cable?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The Xs iPhone came with a standard USB-Lightning cable, just as all the previous ones. Nothing Thunderbolt at all.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    That's interesting ithoughtthey maybe up to making both ends USB-C for synchronisation and charging but I suppose that would remove the universal charge and connection options, cars, third party wall chargers etc.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    The rumor is that next year's iPhones will no longer utilize the lightning connector but will be equipped with USB-C. That should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    I have been running Mojave beta on my late 2015 MBP for a while and now the GS. With Dark Mode and the many updated native and third party apps it's like a new device. My wife had to invest in an adaptor for her new MBP which fits neatly on either side and provides a card reader, 2 X Thunderbolt 3, 2 X USB and HDMI which is fine for her as her device is usually in one place.
    Pardon my ignorance but what on earth is all this Rod, Mojave, GS? Also what make the adapter for your wife's computer? I have a Lenovo which connects with a short cable.

Your Mac's Specs
    GS is the rather silly title (Gold Standard) describing the final version of an OS. The one that is considered ready/safe for public release. As opposed to the final Beta.
    My wife bought a Char JenPro, hereís a link to their page, itís the one without the cable, it just slots into the two ports on the left of the MBP. https://www.charjenpro.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar-caveman View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what on earth is all this Rod, Mojave, GS? Also what make the adapter for your wife's computer? I have a Lenovo which connects with a short cable.
    Rod was running the Beta of Mojave and now the released version. I've always seen that acronymed as GM (Golden Master).

I have a 2017 MBP (and had a 2016 MBP prior to this) and used the HooToo USB-C hub with my 2016 MBP that worked OK for a while and then began to flake out. When I got the 2017 (from work), I also got the Satechi USB-C hub and this one is a LOT more reliable especially when it comes to connecting to an external monitor.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thanks guys. Yes,. that's a really neat adapter Razx0rEdge. I'll go for that if the Lenovo starts giving trouble. At least you know where kit is if you leave it attached!

When one can walk into a BestBuy and buy a super fast and useful computer for around $500, meaning a non Apple computer, i can't understand how Apple keeps on selling them Mac's

Thread Information