Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Buying a Macbook Air with dead pixels
    Hello all,

I just joined mac-forums for some pro-advice on buying a new Macbook Air. I found one for a really good price on Craigslist -- I know there is a stigma against Craigslist but I'm taking the risk in that regard -- The only issue with the computer is there is a vertical line of dead pixels that appears approx. once a week according to the seller. I don't really mind this, especially at the price, but I'm wondering if this is symbolic of a greater problem in the hardware. I don't want that one line to turn into two, or just have the screen die on me. Is it common for some dead pixels to lead to bigger problems?

That is NOT a dead pixel problem. A dead pixel problem is specific to the LCD alone and happens all the times. Additionally, as the name implies, with a dead pixel (or pixels) problem, you have a few pixels that don't turn leaving small spots without color.

If the graphical issues the seller is describing is coming and going, that's a graphics card issue and is symbolic of a more systematic issue with the hardware that will only get worse with time.

Avoid this machine. You are better of heading to the Mac Refurb store to see if you can find a MBA or Macbook based on your budget.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thumbs up
    Wow, I am very glad I asked on a forum like this. Thanks so much for you quick and informative answer.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    And the beauty nof the Apple Refurbs is they come with the current operating system and a full 12 months warranty which can be extended to 3 years with AppleCare+ or AppleCare depending where you are.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I checked the refurb site, still out of my price range. I'm looking to pay <200$, it's not my primary computer so at a price that low it's worth the risk of Craigslist I think. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Unfortunately, Apple devices have always carried a premium price and if you want to get down to that budget, you're looking at a machine that at least 10-12+ years old which is essentially useless in the modern age.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Except on Craigslist where the going price for a 2011-2014 Macbook Air is around $250. Obviously with that comes no warranty or security, but as I said before, for that steep a price drop I'll take the risk.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Obviously with that comes no warranty or security, but as I said before, for that steep a price drop I'll take the risk.
    Just make sure you test whatever you intend to buy off Craigslist and that it isn't locked with a firmware password. (That would indicate a stolen item.) A good place to meet with the seller is at a crowded Starbucks. Plenty of onlookers and free WiFi. All that for your own protection.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101 View Post
    Except on Craigslist where the going price for a 2011-2014 Macbook Air is around $250. Obviously with that comes no warranty or security, but as I said before, for that steep a price drop I'll take the risk.
    Warranty is definitely one thing that you're not going to get, however, you might want to try your luck on eBay instead of Craigslist. At least, on Ebay you'll get some protection and can use the reputation of the seller to determine if something is a good deal or not.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.7.5 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.11.6 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    You can try macsales for reconditioned hardware
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information