Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Can the fan in the mid-2018 MacBook Pro be manually controlled?
    Can the fan be manually controlled?

I'd like to see video render benchmarks etc. of the stock fan curve vs. manual 100% fan speed.

In fact, if the GPU's fan can be manually set to 100% too, a new benchmark would be good with that, also.

Can the fan in the mid-2018 MacBook Pro be manually controlled?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I think that with the fan control apps out there..fans speeds can be increased...but not decreased from what the computer wants to do. In other words...if the computer wants or needs the fans to run at 2000rpm...I think the fan speeds can be increased. But...if the computers fan/fans need to be at 5000 rpm's (to cool it based on the demands on the computer)...for safety reasons...I don't believe the fan speeds can be decreased.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I think that with the fan control apps out there..fans speeds can be increased...but not decreased from what the computer wants to do. In other words...if the computer wants or needs the fans to run at 2000rpm...I think the fan speeds can be increased. But...if the computers fan/fans need to be at 5000 rpm's (to cool it based on the demands on the computer)...for safety reasons...I don't believe the fan speeds can be decreased.

HTH,

- Nick

+1.

That's my understanding and experience with those that I've used and the one I still use.
    Using something that could possibly do the opposite would be rather stupid to me.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Macs Fan Control, is the app I trust, https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Macs Fan Control, is the app I trust, https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control.
    +1.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Using something that could possibly do the opposite would be rather stupid to me.
    And possibily costly.

Although I think our computers will shut off automatically if they get too hot...so I guess that would be a safety net if a fan control app actually did allow us to slow fan speeds below where the computer wanted things to be.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    @King Mustard

You need to do some googling about controlling the fan(s) in your 2018 MacBook Pro. There are several anecdotal threads concerning this with various results. One thread pointed out that the Macs Fan Control app did not work and another goes on to show that throttling of the CPU was taking place.

Until we hear more from Apple about the throttling problem with the 2018 machines, I would not try to control the fan(s) in your 2018 machine. Since you really haven't told us which model of 2018 MacBook Pro you have, (i7, i9, etc) it's difficult to point you to any specific thread especially one that shows benchmarks.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Until we hear more from Apple about the throttling problem with the 2018 machines,
    Charlie, there is an interesting take on it here:

https://www.macworld.com/article/329...ew-laptop.html

Their assessment, in early testing, is that the 2018 is still faster than the previous version, by a significant amount, even with the throttling in certain video rendering tests. They do plan further, longer, harder testing, but in some pretty aggressive tests (over an hour rendering), the 2018 seems to still be faster. As you said, time will tell, but I'm betting that if other testing verifies what they found, Apple probably won't say much.
    Jake

I wonder if the OP may be alluding to this situation?:

The 2018 MacBook Pro has a problem with overheating
    The new 2018 MacBook Pro might be fast, but all that Core i9 processor power is useless if the system can't cope with the heat it generates and has to throttle the performance.
    Owners of the new 15-inch 2018 MacBook Pro are reporting poor performance because heat is causing the system to throttle CPU speed.
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-20...h-overheating/

EDIT:
    And maybe check some of the comments there as well, ie:
    Harvey Lubin • a day ago

Read the article on Computerworld today titled "About that MacBook Pro Core i9 throttling story", that proves that the testing software used in the video was the problem, not the MacBook Pro hardware or the Intel i9 processor.
    Hmmm…???

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-21-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Threads regarding the new 2018 MacBook Pros are all over the place. One guy claimed that he actually got faster benchmarks with his i9 by undervolting the CPU. Yes, believe it or not, there is an app you can download and use to undervolt your CPU. His claim was when he undervolted the i9, throttling stopped and the CPU performed better.

Another interesting aspect of these new 2018 machines with the T2 chip is that apparently Apple was not prepared with recovery images for those owners who needed it. One owner stupidly decided to wipe his brand new 15" 2018 i9 machine to do some experimenting. When he went to recover it he found out that his new machine was bricked. LOL. In other words, dead in the water to use an old Navy expression. How did he solve the problem? Apple directed him to take the machine back to the Apple store and return it for a new one.

Threads regarding the new 2018 MacBook Pros are all over the place

It would seem one might be better to just create one's own custom Hackintosh and do the modding and hacking in its known environment!!! And a heck of a lot cheaper and maybe more reliable as well I'd guess.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I wonder if one of those desktop stands with fans would be of any assistance with the heat? The problem seems to be the thinness of the case and the ability to take away CPU heat. The internal fans are part of it, but the case absorbs some of the heat as well, so maybe cooling the case from outside just a bit would help? Be interesting to see a test of one. And definitely, these laptops are NOT to be used on a surface that blocks the airflow, like a blanket, or pillow, or anything like that.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    And definitely, these laptops are NOT to be used on a surface that blocks the airflow, like a blanket, or pillow, or anything like that.
    +1. And that's why Apple calls them Notebooks; not Laptops. Meant to be used on a flat surface like a table to allow the downward ventilation to disperse.

Ian
    Ian

And definitely, these laptops are NOT to be used on a surface that blocks the airflow, like a blanket, or pillow, or anything like that.

That sounds like a very valid suggestion Jake and I wonder if Apple attaches such a label or warning anywhere???

Or more likely, they'll say their fans and temperature controls will look after the "problem", which probably won't be one as far as they are concerned.

And just throttle down the CPU should work as well it seems. And that's interesting in itself that such a feature is even included in the macOS so I'm guessing they already knew of the potential extra heat problem.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, I suspect that throttling has been there for a long time, and only now does it actually kick in. From the video I posted, the throttling seems to be very short in time, just enough to get below some threshold, and then back to full. The commentators mentioned how jagged the curve was on the one test where they got throttling to kick in. I suspect for the majority of uses/users the heat issue is really a non-issue. If you want to do heavy duty video rendering, you should be doing that on a desktop anyway (IMHO), as that is not a good task for a portable. Can it be done? Sure, but you can drag race in a Prius, too, but the results may not be what you expect.
    Jake

Thread Information