Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    What is using up all my memory
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    You are correct Patrick Dragon does not use the Internet for dictation on the Mac. In fact, their site says the following about internet connections
    • An Internet connection for product download, automatic product activation (a quick anonymous process) and access to online help
    I don't remember if they want access to your contacts for some functions but I think it does. I'm finding it hard to justify the $150.00 or so upgrade price. $300 new if I am not mistaken. Especially when compared to the cost of similar Windows versions.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Wow! That's a lot of local snapshots!

OK, lets remove them: Follow my terminal command below. Copy it exactly, and run it from terminal. If it asks for your Admin password, go ahead and enter it. Your password will not appear. Let me know.....

This is the command: (Make sure you copy it exactly)

tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates / |grep 20|while read f; do tmutil deletelocalsnapshots $f; done

After running the command, exit the terminal, reboot, and then check your free space again. Let us know.
    Going to revive an older thread here.

I've ben ripping some video (ok a LOT of video) from DVDs with Handbrake as of late. I had a bunch on an external drive that I had ripped on my laptop while I was out of town. I pulled the m4v files over, used MetaZ to tag them and then uploaded them to anther external drive for permanent storage. Low and behold my available disc space ran quickly down fro 400+ GB to a bit over 200Gb with a noticeable system slowdown as well. After looking on the web and finding bupkis (except ads for CleanMyMac 3) I turned to the old reliable Mac Forums and upon doing a search found this thread.

Just ran your suggestions above Charlie (Latest version of Mojave) and BAM! Recovered almost 400Gb of HDD space!

I turned off auto backup inTM while I continue to work with the m4v files, but this little trick just got me fully half my HDD back! FYI, this is on a Late 2012 27 Inch iMac with 1 TB 5400rpm HDD.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Hey there baggss great to hear from ya. Nice to see that familiar avatar & "Margaritaville" location!

Also awesome Charlie's post helped!!!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Always good to see an old forum friend again. Hey baggss, don't be a stranger, and I'm glad that our post about local snapshot removal helped you to get back all that space.

Your Mac's Specs
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    To expand more on this topic:

I noticed that Handbrake tends to look in the hidden "Volumes" folder by default when looking for media. In that same folder is another hidden folder named "Time Machine Local Snapshots". Thats interesting enough but I also discovered that Cocktail has the ability to allow the user to completely remove or "trim" the same snapshots pretty easily. Definitely something learned here.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    You can also remove them with tmutil. Open terminal and "man tmutil" for details. I don't have or use Cocktail, but I have used tmutil once or twice.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP macOS Mojave....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
    Reserection
    I am having purgeable issues again and have done what I did in the past but I'm not having the same luck.
    This is what comes up when I request the volumes:Macintosh-001ff34e9923:~ robertgater$ sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots /Volumes/
    Password:
    com.apple.TimeMachine.2019-02-06-062955 (dataless)
    com.apple.TimeMachine.2019-02-07-211236 (dataless)
    com.apple.TimeMachine.2019-02-27-081749
    Macintosh-001ff34e9923:~ robertgater$

When I attempt to clear them it clears the last one (I think) but I am still at 68 GB purgeable. Any help would be awesome

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP macOS Mojave....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
    tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates / |grep 20|while read f; do tmutil deletelocalsnapshots $f; done

This is what I used to try and clear the volume

Thread Information