Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Can I Un Brick This MacbookPro Retina A1502?
    So let me start off in saying I wish I found this message board months ago........ while water is involved, I don't think its my problem. But you'll have to read through to understand. I'll try to make it brief:

1. Got a few drops of water on the Keyboard. Let the thing dry. A day or so later turned it on, things were going well.
    2. A few days later, I started getting keyboard/trackpad dropouts.
    3. Did SMC resets and a few other things. Nothing really worked. Worked fine with an external/ bluetooth.
    4. Cam on this suggestion to change the sleepimage file. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XRlDiHoV0Y in the comments section of the video.
    5. Keyboard and track pad came back.
    6. And then a few days later it didnt.
    7. Worked fine for months. but one thing I noticed was if I left it unplugged, the battery would die if I didn't plug it in after a while. I attributed that to the sleepimage change.
    8. I went to re-set the sleepimage file, but I think I confused sleepimage with hibernate and hastily changed some other power setting.
    9. While working with the computer on Battery mode, it suddenly shut down. I am assuming it was a dead battery.
    10. I plug in the mag safe, it is orange. I does not turn green . Does not turn on.

Did I mess up some setting that prevents it from charging? It seems like more than a coincidence that it happened on the same day. If that's the case, Is there a way to take the hard drive out and re-install and reinsert the drive?

Thoughts?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

Water damage is unpredictable. Folks will tell us the same thing as you reported... "a few drops of water"..... The problem is that it only takes a few drops of water leaking down thru the keyboard on to the logic board to cause things to happen. What you told us above is typical for water damage. We suggest reading thru the long post we have at the top of this forum regarding water damage and see what others have done.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    +1 for what chscag said. ONE drop of water on a powered up logic board is sufficient to short out and "fry" the delicate electronics on the board, with unpredictable consequences. Well, not totally unpredictable; the board will eventually fail. It's the "how" it fails that is unpredictable. Good luck with it, but I see a new machine, or expensive repair, in your future.
    Jake

+1 for what chscag said.
    Add another +1!!

And just for some perspective on … "a few drops of water"…..:
    A single drop of water/second = 7 Gallons per day or 28 Liters per day.

A relative large amount if any electronics circuits are involved.

- Patrick
    ======

Thanks, These answers seem to be the default. However, I think that the things I did in step 8 led to the issue in 9 and 10. So if you can set aside your pre-disposed reaction to the steps preceding that, the question is: how would you go about attempting to resolve the issue if it is indeed 8-10?

Thanks for your help!

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleCuba View Post
    However, I think that the things I did in step 8 led to the issue in 9 and 10. So if you can set aside your pre-disposed reaction to the steps preceding that, the question is: how would you go about attempting to resolve the issue if it is indeed 8-10?
    If this is the case...boot the computer from an external hard drive wth an OS installed on it...or simply reinstall the OS. If the problems are software/OS related...then this will give you the answer.

If this doesn't solve the problem...then you may have a hardware issue due to the liquid spill.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If this is the case...boot the computer from an external hard drive wth an OS installed on it...or simply reinstall the OS. If the problems are software/OS related...then this will give you the answer.

If this doesn't solve the problem...then you may have a hardware issue due to the liquid spill.

- Nick
    Can the OS be reinstalled by removing the hard drive and installing it from another computer?

Can the OS be reinstalled by removing the hard drive and installing it from another computer?

Yes, as long as the "OS be reinstalled" is the original or at least compatible, but there's no reason to remove the hard drive to do so.

Multiple connection methods exist you can use instead.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Not necessary to do that since the OS can be installed via the Recovery Partition. And...this computer does not have an internal hard drive...it has a flash storage stick which is not very easy to deal with between computers.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information