Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Lightbulb MBP Mid-2010 HOW, exactly, to get HW Diagnostics Test to run from Disc?
    Gang this is incredibly frustrating - I simply need to run hardware test on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. The apparent problem is hardware fail of the WIFI card. I read a page on Apple support about various ways to invoke hardware testing on different models. Supposedly, the right way to do that on this model is via the Discs that shipped with the system. I tried to run the internet version of AHT but if fails in spite of having a Good Ethernet connection. [I get two different error messages depending on random chance I suppose - both indicating it cannot connect to the right server at Apple].

I have the original discs, pristine [I opened the seal]. Supposedly one inserts the 2nd disc [which the article I read mis-labels], shut down the system. Turn on the system and press/hold D. When I do that, I get the same attempted "Internet Recovery" as I have seen with no disc inserted, which is not, properly speaking, an attempt at AHT.

HOw do I get the system to boot diags from the disc?

thank you
    C

MBP Mid-2010 HOW, exactly, to get HW Diagnostics Test to run from Disc?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Please read through this discussion on how to run the AHT on your 2010 MacBook Pro. LINK

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Please read through this discussion on how to run the AHT on your 2010 MacBook Pro. LINK
    Read again. There are numbers of similar. Whether “hold d” or as some claim “ctrl d”, makes no diff. The system invokes “Internet Recovery” in all cases.

Under what conditions is this model SUPPOSED to invoke Internet Recovery “ ?

My guess is that it is impossible to really turn power off on this model with non removable battery, and that a register or setting is being held that implies Internet Recovery option, pre-empting any other command. Btw it is on macOS 10.12.6 on a SSD

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Using the Command D works on late 2013 models and later. For your model you need the original system install discs that came with it when brand new.

If the disc is not goin g to play nice, go to this link and download the correct AHT version for your MBP by model number, and burn it to a USB thumb drive and then reboot from the thumb drive and run the full test.

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Next, some earlier models require a firmware update to use Internet recovewry. Have you ever uypdated?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313
    Last edited by harryb2448; 11-07-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    He's already tried that Harry:

I have the original discs, pristine [I opened the seal]. Supposedly one inserts the 2nd disc [which the article I read mis-labels], shut down the system. Turn on the system and press/hold D. When I do that, I get the same attempted "Internet Recovery" as I have seen with no disc inserted, which is not, properly speaking, an attempt at AHT.
    For some reason, his machine is trying to get into Internet Recovery rather than do the AHT. Maybe he should try booting from the first disk in that set and then insert the second disk and try from there?

I can't remember exactly how it's done on older Macs. But I believe you have to first boot the system from the DVD and then after run the AHT but of that I'm not sure since it's been ages ago that I had a Mac with a DVD set.

indeed that seems to be the case, or to put it another way, it is not looking at the disc drive at all. The drive works well - no problems there. No problems browsing disc 2, its all there including a very nice readme on how to use AHT ! but no worky.

I have read a few posts in the many lookups I"ve done on this ugly topic, to the effect that SSD's cause some mbp's or imacs or macs trouble with regard to the various special-startup keys/methods? what's that about?
    Is there not some simple, maybe 3rd party utility app that can run hardware tests with macos running? that is routine in the pc world - nine ways to get there.

as to the invoking of Internet Recovery - it sure works every single time, no hesitation! sure glad that it did not connect to a server somewhere and immediately start downloading Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    He's already tried that Harry:

For some reason, his machine is trying to get into Internet Recovery rather than do the AHT. Maybe he should try booting from the first disk in that set and then insert the second disk and try from there?

I can't remember exactly how it's done on older Macs. But I believe you have to first boot the system from the DVD and then after run the AHT but of that I'm not sure since it's been ages ago that I had a Mac with a DVD set.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Are you getting a "spinning globe", or the Apple logo? I believe the spinning globe is correct for Apple Hardware Test, if I am not mistaken.

edit: I just remembered, on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro, I had to hold either, option, command, or control, along with the D to get into AHT.
    Last edited by ferrarr; 11-07-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: remembered
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Most of the third party diagnostic tools only check the hard drive or memory. The Apple Hardware Test supposedly runs tests on items in your Mac that can be accessed by the software and reported to Apple by code. Most techs will tell you that the AHT does not find everything and sometimes reports things as bad when they are OK. The best test is done by Apple at one of their genius bars. However, your 2010 is considered vintage by Apple and they will not look at it. An authorized Apple repair provider might give it a go but they will charge for the service.

Spinning Globe: "Starting Internet Recovery. This may take awhile"

Thread Information