To buy a new macbook pro or to wait!?
    My macbook pro 15" has finally died after 6 years. I am a filmmaker so I need at least a 15" with preferably 16GB RAM.

I have an Imac which is my main edit machine but I travel a lot for work it would be nice to have something where I can do basic editing on the road. I think it mainly just comes down to a financial thing at this point, but I am torn if I should buy a new macbook pro, look for a 2015 model, or just wait. I am not a fan of them gutting out the connectors and having to use dongles, but it looks like a powerhouse and I cant seem to find any 2015 models under $2,000 when i could just buy a new one for $500 more.

I don't want to go refurbished because I just did that and immediately returned it because the battery was crap.

Any advice?

Welcome to Mac-Forums..

The 2017 version of MBP was recently released, so there won't be any more updates this year the MBP line-up. If you don't want the 2016/2017 model anyway, you are looking at 2015 models with all the connectors and they might not be readily available, but there is one available right now.

These machines are essentially returned to as-new condition and as such they should have new batteries with no cycles on them and the 1 year AppleCare included with the option to purchase 2 more years. You only want to purchase refurbished from Apple directly, the others don't offer the same things..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dommypanx View Post
    ...it would be nice to have something where I can do basic editing on the road.
    This is the BIG question. How long can you go without a portable computer before it affects your computing needs?

I don't want to go refurbished because I just did that and immediately returned it because the battery was crap.

Any advice?
    Must not have been Apple refurbished. Apple refurbished computers are just like new...with all the repair & warranty safety-nets as a new Apple computer. If it was a refurb. from somewhere else...it was just a used computer with as little as a 30 day warranty.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    This is the BIG question. How long can you go without a portable computer before it affects your computing needs?

Must not have been Apple refurbished. Apple refurbished computers are just like new...with all the repair & warranty safety-nets as a new Apple computer. If it was a refurb. from somewhere else...it was just a used computer with as little as a 30 day warranty.

- Nick
    I just went with the 2015 model refurbished apple offers. The one i ordered it from originally was best buy and that was a terrible decision, lesson learned.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
    Best Buy's "Refurbished" program is nothing more than someone at BB has stated that it works. Notice that I didn't say that it actually worked... Just that someone said it worked.

Apple Refurbished is better than new because the machine is new under the hood where necessary (anything that wasn't operating correctly is replaced and a new battery is installed) and there are no blemishes. I say that it's better than new because it doesn't carry the same price as new but everything else is the same.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ember1205 View Post
    Best Buy's "Refurbished" program is nothing more than someone at BB has stated that it works. Notice that I didn't say that it actually worked... Just that someone said it worked.
    Love the distinction between "saying it works"...and "actually works".

Quote Originally Posted by Ember1205 View Post
    Apple Refurbished is better than new because the machine is new under the hood where necessary (anything that wasn't operating correctly is replaced and a new battery is installed) and there are no blemishes. I say that it's better than new because it doesn't carry the same price as new but everything else is the same.
    That's actually a pretty awesome way of looking at it..."Better than new". Probably has been looked over much more closely by a human being...comes with same warranty as new...and lower price than new.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Yea it was a pretty terrible decision on my part, and when i went to return it after only having it for a week they tried giving me such a hard time returning it. This route is a much better decision.

Your Mac's Specs
    I just went with the 2015 model refurbished apple offers.
    Great decision! With what you do (filmmaker)...sounds like portability is very important!

Congrats,

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    That's actually a pretty awesome way of looking at it..."Better than new". Probably has been looked over much more closely by a human being...comes with same warranty as new...and lower price than new.

- Nick
    I have bought 2x refurbished MBP from Apple, and both came with double amount of RAM than was advertised. Can’t complain really. The issues I have at the moment with the Refurb Store is the last line of Notebooks they have up in the Aust Store, are more expensive than the 'new' lineup with the same specs (minus processsor)
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    This and other threads show a marked preference for pre-touch bar MBPs. Wonder if Apple will backtrack and reinstall ports and card readers.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    I have bought 2x refurbished MBP from Apple, and both came with double amount of RAM than was advertised. Can’t complain really. The issues I have at the moment with the Refurb Store is the last line of Notebooks they have up in the Aust Store, are more expensive than the 'new' lineup with the same specs (minus processsor)
    Hey there TattooedMac...great to see you!!!

Wow...someone must be asleep at the wheel at the Australia Apple Store. Makes no sense for the refurb's to cost more than new...assuming exact same spec's & performance.

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    This and other threads show a marked preference for pre-touch bar MBPs. Wonder if Apple will backtrack and reinstall ports and card readers.
    Apple never backtracks on its decisions and as such, this is how its going to be. They might continue to offer a TB and non-TB model for cost savings, but the connectors aren't returning..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    There is a version of the 2015 MBP still available as new, https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/m...A&step=config#, no touchbar and all ports.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Apple never backtracks on its decisions and as such, this is how its going to be.
    You got that right Ashwin!!! Apple has a long history of doing some things that users love...and some things that users hate. Apple may change something if it's not working out...but backtracking is not something Apple does.

- Nick

Thread Information