Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    coffee/milk on my macbook pro. Is it over? I need your diagnosis

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook 7,1 2.4 GHz, 2 GB ram
    Hi there.
    I'm aware that there's already a big post on mac killed by liquids. Today it happened to me.
    Some coffee went down on the keyboard, on the right hand side, which included the power button.
    The mac kept working, but I decided to shut it down. I cleaned the superficial liquid with a towel and with an hairdryer I tried to dry the area. Also trying to clean with a toothbrush. Every time I accidentally touched/brushed the power button, the mac went on, which seemed like a good sign.
    After I finished to use the hairdryer for a few minutes, I tried to turn the mac on. It didn't turn on.
    Ok. Is it over? I read in the main post that replacing damaged components is not worth it, too expensive.
    What is your diagnosis at this stage? I know I can expect some really heavy answers but your help will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks

Liquids and components just don't mix..while you may have gotten the liquids that are visible out, there was likely more that got inside and then it might be fried components. Running the Mac with the liquid inside just is the death of it. If you do open up the covers, you might see burnt components..

Depending on the age of the MBP, a replacement of the logicboard might not be worth it..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Liquids and components just don't mix..while you may have gotten the liquids that are visible out, there was likely more that got inside and then it might be fried components. Running the Mac with the liquid inside just is the death of it. If you do open up the covers, you might see burnt components..

Depending on the age of the MBP, a replacement of the logicboard might not be worth it..
    Thank you for your answer. Do you think that at this stage, with the mac not turning on, we can already assume that it's over? Or I can still be lucky that when the liquid completely dries out, it might start working again?

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Sorry britpoprule...electronics & liquids don't mix. And there's really no way to predict if this computer will ever work (or work correctly again).

We have an 5 year-old...27 page thread dedicated to this sort of situation. This specific situation is very very similar to many posted in the thread. Everything you ever wanted to know about liquid spills & electronics is in this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-note...ok-thread.html

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs

What components could be damaged? The motherboard? So definitely nothing worth replacing? And so buying another one becomes the best solution...?

All Apple products use a single PCB that holds all the necessary components called the logicboard. Very few things on there is user servicable (save maybe the CPU on some machines). Depending on where the liquid goes, it will fry resistors, capacitors (pretty small things) to much larger components. All of these components are soldered in place by machines and not by hand. So fixing this sort of failure usually involves finding an exact replacement logicboard for your machine and swapping them. Since the logicboard contains ALL of the important stuff, you're looking at an average price of around $750 USD.

Assuming the Mac you are talking about is the one in your signature, that's a 7 year old machine, out of warranty and many generations old. If you were to sell that in pristine condition, it'll probably fetch about $200 or so..so the cost of replacing a pricey logicboard doesn't make any sense. You might as well use this as an excuse to upgrade to a newer generation MBP..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry britporule. What Ashwin expertly described is what happens many many times with laptops that have had liquid spilled on them. And unfortunately...replacement parts are not dirt cheap (as we would like them to be). Even on older computers.

Please read the Liquid spill thread. You will find MANY situations there exactly like yours (unfortunately). Everything you mentioned...spilled liquid on computer...computer not working...tried to clean things up ASAP...used hair dryer...etc. The problem is...the damage was done milli or nano-seconds after the liquid was split. Before you first blinked your eye after the spill...the damage was already done.

It's a Humpy-Dumpty fell off the wall situation. "All the kings horse's and all the king's men...couldn't put Humpty-Dumpty back together again."

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    All Apple products use a single PCB that holds all the necessary components called the logicboard. Very few things on there is user servicable (save maybe the CPU on some machines). Depending on where the liquid goes, it will fry resistors, capacitors (pretty small things) to much larger components. All of these components are soldered in place by machines and not by hand. So fixing this sort of failure usually involves finding an exact replacement logicboard for your machine and swapping them. Since the logicboard contains ALL of the important stuff, you're looking at an average price of around $750 USD.

Assuming the Mac you are talking about is the one in your signature, that's a 7 year old machine, out of warranty and many generations old. If you were to sell that in pristine condition, it'll probably fetch about $200 or so..so the cost of replacing a pricey logicboard doesn't make any sense. You might as well use this as an excuse to upgrade to a newer generation MBP..
    The mac I'm talking about it's a MacBook Pro Retina 13", 2014, 8GB RAM,
    256 SSD. I checked on ebay UK and it costs about £750. (I paid for it at the time around £550, it was a bargain!) And unfortunately right now I cannot afford that amount and I will have to downgrade! How painful is that?

My main concern now is : will I be able to save all the data on the hard drive? Does the damage spread into the whole machine? From your statistics does the hard drive survive? I really hope so. At least that.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    The internal Disk Drive in that MBP is removable, but it is a blade type, so you would need an enclosure for it. Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/SNANSHI-MacBo...SIN=B01F7MJWB8, then you can transfer what you need.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

MacInWin
    Acid in coffee, sugars in milk, liquid in general, not a good combination. As you've been told, it's probably toast. But if you want to open it up and let it dry, that might, maybe, a little bit, help some, maybe, sort of. (Get the idea?) Don't try to do anything to the logic board itself, you can make it a lot worse. But right now you have a doorstop, so opening it up to dry inside more can't make it worse as long as you don't muck with the boards inside. But start saving your pence, you have a purchase in your near future.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    The internal Disk Drive in that MBP is removable, but it is a blade type, so you would need an enclosure for it. Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/SNANSHI-MacBo...SIN=B01F7MJWB8, then you can transfer what you need.
    Thanks for that, but most importantly, do you think the hard drive has good chances of survival? Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Acid in coffee, sugars in milk, liquid in general, not a good combination. As you've been told, it's probably toast. But if you want to open it up and let it dry, that might, maybe, a little bit, help some, maybe, sort of. (Get the idea?) Don't try to do anything to the logic board itself, you can make it a lot worse. But right now you have a doorstop, so opening it up to dry inside more can't make it worse as long as you don't muck with the boards inside. But start saving your pence, you have a purchase in your near future.
    I will buy another MacBook Pro, probably downgrade, as money is really tight. But I will certainly open this damaged mac and try to clean up everything inside. I don't have any hope but are you hinting to a possible resurrection? Do they ever happen? Right now is dead. It doesn't turn on.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by britpoprule View Post
    Thanks for that, but most importantly, do you think the hard drive has good chances of survival? Thanks
    No way to know short of taking the drive out and putting it in an enclosure. If the liquid damage did not spread that far it might be OK. Of all the various components that is probably the one most likely to survive.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Agree with Slydude. I think that the blade type flash storage (because everything is exposed)...are more at risk than older spinner HD's that were enclosed in a case/housing when it comes to liquid spills. Won't know if all is good until it is placed in a case & plugged in.

I certainly hope you have a backup. Liquid spill + no backup are two "no-no's" in computing! I'm thinking there's a good chance the data will be ok...but really really need to maintain a backup!

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    I just opened the mac and I personally don't seem to find any sign of clear damage. I assume the damage could be beyond what is visible. If I post some photos, would you be able to tell? How can I test individually each component to check if it's not damaged?
    I thought about cleaning with alcohol (the one used to clean electronics) and then put everything back together and try if it works.
    The liquid went on the right side of the keyboard where the power button is. The motherboard I noticed is on the centre/left, that's why I don't think it has been touched.

Thread Information