Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page




Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Post 13" Late 2013 or 13" Mid-2014 MacBook Pro?
    So i am on the brink of upgrading my mid 2012 non retina macbook pro , and headed to moving onto a retina model which i am extremely excited about as I am freelance photographer and graphic designer that is visually impaired, and think the retina screen would be a huge advantage to me as well as the speed too.
    I've found 2 great deals on ebay, but just need some information in regards to the 13 inch late 2013 model which includes 16gb ram and a 250gb ssd, the mid 2014 13 inch rmbp deal I've found also has 16gb ram but the base 160gb ssd
    I think there's only a 200 euro price difference here.
    I will be doing a lot of heavy photo editing in Lightroom and some motion graphics work in after effects too as well as some 3d rendering and some database work on vmware using windows 7.
    is there a difference in speed in both models ? is it noticeable at all?

  2. #2
    13" Late 2013 or 13" Mid-2014 MacBook Pro?
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,124
    Rep Power
    24
    Welcome to Mac-Forums..

    What is your overall budget for the new machine? That will help narrow down the choices. Depending on your budget, you should also check out the Apple Refurb store to see if you can get a late model Mac from there..

    You don't specify the processor specifics about the two Macs, so there's no way of saying which is faster or not. However, in general, each iteration of the Mac uses a later generation Intel processor which (while might be clocked at lower speeds) yields better performance than the previous generation. If the two Macs are both at say 2.3GHz, then the 2014 one will be "faster" than the 2013 one. This speed is not JUST the processor, but also the RAM speed, system bus speed, faster SSD access and so on..

    So the newer you go, the more performant the machine is going to be.

    If you are just comparing between having 250GB SSD or 160GB SSD. I would suggest grabbing an external 1 or 2TB SSD and use that for all of your stuff and leave the internal SSD just for applications..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Welcome to Mac-Forums..

    What is your overall budget for the new machine? That will help narrow down the choices. Depending on your budget, you should also check out the Apple Refurb store to see if you can get a late model Mac from there..

    You don't specify the processor specifics about the two Macs, so there's no way of saying which is faster or not. However, in general, each iteration of the Mac uses a later generation Intel processor which (while might be clocked at lower speeds) yields better performance than the previous generation. If the two Macs are both at say 2.3GHz, then the 2014 one will be "faster" than the 2013 one. This speed is not JUST the processor, but also the RAM speed, system bus speed, faster SSD access and so on..

    So the newer you go, the more performant the machine is going to be.

    If you are just comparing between having 250GB SSD or 160GB SSD. I would suggest grabbing an external 1 or 2TB SSD and use that for all of your stuff and leave the internal SSD just for applications..



    ive scoped out two good deals on ebay

    the other is a 13.3 inch mid 2014 / i5 2.8ghz with 128gb ssd / 16gb ram = € 917


    13.3" inch MacBook Pro Retina late 2013, i5 2.4GHz turbo boost to 2.9GHz / 256GB ssd / 16GB ram = € 829

    both second hand and in pristine conditoin

    i already have a 1tb hard drive too which helps a ton.

    the price difference is barely nothing but still, its still 88 euros..

  4. #4
    13" Late 2013 or 13" Mid-2014 MacBook Pro?
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,124
    Rep Power
    24
    With the 128GB of internal storage, you just have to be careful about the size of applications you'd want to use/install. Graphics/video applications tend to be on the heavier side, so if you have a couple of apps around 20-25GB or so, that's a good chunk of your total storage. That 128GB also has to house the OS, so you really have about 100 or so GB left..

    However, I'm sure the 2014 MBP can have its internal SSD upgraded, so you could grab that model and then if you feel you are running low on internal space, upgrade to a 512GB SSD..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    With the 128GB of internal storage, you just have to be careful about the size of applications you'd want to use/install. Graphics/video applications tend to be on the heavier side, so if you have a couple of apps around 20-25GB or so, that's a good chunk of your total storage. That 128GB also has to house the OS, so you really have about 100 or so GB left..

    However, I'm sure the 2014 MBP can have its internal SSD upgraded, so you could grab that model and then if you feel you are running low on internal space, upgrade to a 512GB SSD..
    yes im a not too keen on 128gb storage considering all of my applications i use, from all of the adobe creative cloud suite to fcpx to vmware and so on.

    hhhmm ive did some research and it looks like if i was to grab the 128gb model i cant use third party ssd\s like the samsung evo and such which are relatively cheap,
    this is kinda bad news, because of that i'd be inclined to buy some owc aura ssd , wich are ridicolously overpirced for my budget as it seems..

    so it seems like i might be better off with the 2013 model ? i mean is it really that much of a landslide in speed im missing out on ?

    the 256 gb 2013 model might be just the bette option memory wise

  6. #6
    13" Late 2013 or 13" Mid-2014 MacBook Pro?

    Member Since
    Jul 26, 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    116
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
    Rep Power
    8
    Could you please tell us what your current system has?

    Processor Name, Model Identifier, Processor Speed, Memory and Graphics Chipset Model and screen size. Helpful would be your current disk how much and how much free.
    Why am I asking? Your current system might be good enough for your purposes and possibly a big external SSD, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then use your MBP in clamshell mode. For some mid 2012 MBPs there are some with the i7 processor and with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with either 512 Mb or 1Gb dedicated video RAM (thus won't use your system RAM). You can also run Sierra, just make sure your Lightroom is also upgraded (which you can do before or after moving to Sierra, but if not currently on Sierra, upgrade Lightroom first.) Consider that you can still use the monitor, keyboard and mouse/trackpad even if you do eventually upgrade your Mac. Just get a good monitor, which can be pricey.

    In addition to my current MacBook Air, I have and old PowerBook G4 (stuck at Leopard) and an early 2008 MBP (stuck at El Capitan) and they look fairly good on external monitors.

    Ashwin, what's your take?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ManoaHi View Post
    Could you please tell us what your current system has?

    Processor Name, Model Identifier, Processor Speed, Memory and Graphics Chipset Model and screen size. Helpful would be your current disk how much and how much free.
    Why am I asking? Your current system might be good enough for your purposes and possibly a big external SSD, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then use your MBP in clamshell mode. For some mid 2012 MBPs there are some with the i7 processor and with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with either 512 Mb or 1Gb dedicated video RAM (thus won't use your system RAM). You can also run Sierra, just make sure your Lightroom is also upgraded (which you can do before or after moving to Sierra, but if not currently on Sierra, upgrade Lightroom first.) Consider that you can still use the monitor, keyboard and mouse/trackpad even if you do eventually upgrade your Mac. Just get a good monitor, which can be pricey.

    In addition to my current MacBook Air, I have and old PowerBook G4 (stuck at Leopard) and an early 2008 MBP (stuck at El Capitan) and they look fairly good on external monitors.

    Ashwin, what's your take?


    i am currently using a 13inch, mid 2012, 2.5ghz with 8gb with hd graphics 4000

    ive got 500gb storage but 101.1gb free but in the process of backing everthing up soon

  8. #8
    13" Late 2013 or 13" Mid-2014 MacBook Pro?

    Member Since
    Jul 26, 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    116
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
    Rep Power
    8
    The specs of your Intel HD Graphics 4000 is 2560x1600, which is the same as the Retina displays. But equivalent monitors are running in the US$1,000 to US$4,000 range so, possibly the Retina Macs are good. However, if you are willing to go down to 1920x1200 you can get 24" monitors in the $100~$500 range. Not sure what prices you can get in Europe. Just something to think about.

  9. #9
    13" Late 2013 or 13" Mid-2014 MacBook Pro?

    Member Since
    Jun 18, 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quad Core Mac Pro, 1.6 i5 11' Macbook Air, 2.9 i7 13' MacBook Pro
    Rep Power
    0
    I would be a little cautious about the 2013 13' MacBook Pro Retina model, specifically the 2.6 i5. Reason being is because I went through 2 of them that randomly stopped turning on due to a faulty logic board. Maybe that was just my luck with the specific model but nonetheless I thought I would give my 2 cents. Best of luck on your search though!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MacBook pro mid 15" mid 2014 blackscreen shutdown
    By Claudiu91 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2017, 09:53 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 10:22 PM
  3. late 2012 macbook pro vs mid 2014 macbook pro 13"
    By mustafa.salam in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 11:27 AM
  4. Macbook Pro 13" late 2013 Vs MacBook Air 13" 2013
    By 50417S in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2013, 10:14 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 07:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •