Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Can't log into my Macbook Pro
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Try attaching a USB mouse and see if that helps. If you can navigate and click with that mouse attached check the trackpad settings and make sure they are OK.

I wonder if the battery hasn't started to swell causing the trackpad not to click properly. If your model as an easily accessible battery check to see if there is any kind of bulge on the battery.
    Last edited by Slydude; 11-20-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Great idea. I will see if I can borrow one but won't I have to set it up? No ability to do that. I have an internal battery and it feels the same as always. My husband's MacBook external battery swelled so I know what that looks like. Thanks for the help!!

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    if it is a wired (USB) mouse there shouldn't be a need to do any setup for basic operation. It should be recognized as at least a basic mouse with basic click functionality working.
    Kevin Durant

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by quinlis View Post
    Well I am using the mouse pad that is on the macbook. I boot up but can't log in without using the arrow keys and once logged in I can't click on any thing or use the arrows.....
    OK, that tells us something. Try using a mouse. I thought you already were but what you are referring to is called the Trackpad. Any old mouse (that you know is working) will do. The trackpad can be faulty for a few reasons but the most common cause of problems is a swelling battery (can happen at the end of it's lifespan) which prevents the trackpad from being depressed fully thus preventing you from clicking on an object.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Okay, I was able to borrow a mouse today and indeed I can click around with it. What should I do now to try and fix the trackpad?? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for the help!!

Your Mac's Specs
    Maybe I missed it but what Mac you have? That will dictate what can be done to fix this issue with the trackpad.

If you are not sure which Mac you have, go to the Apple menu and choose " About this Mac". The next window will tell you what model you have and how much memory is installed.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    More than likely it's a swollen battery. You won't see anything different when it first begins swelling. Try taking the battery out and see if the trackpad works then.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Mac OS X Version 10.7.5 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHZ DDR3 15" Mid 2009 OS X Lion

It's an internal battery, but my husband is willing to open it up and look in if I should do that.

MacInWin
    Try an external mouse. It may be that the battery is swollen and pressing on the bottom of the trackpad and not allowing you to press down. If that is the case, you should replace the battery with a good one. OWC (www.macsales.com) may have the proper battery for that system. I personally would avoid any Ebay or Amazon specials because it's really easy to mimic a good battery with a cheap knockoff that won't last long.

MacInWin
    Didn't read all the way before posting, or I would have seen that Bob already got to the swollen battery. Replacing the battery is not usually very hard, you may find a video at the OWC site that shows how to do it for your particular system. Make sure you dispose of the old battery properly as they are pretty toxic inside.

So I can change an internal battery?

MacInWin
    Depends on model, but OWC will know, and if you go to their videos on how to install it you can see exactly what it takes.

Thank you for replying so quickly. I have a Macbook Pro-Mac OS X Version 10.7.5 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHZ DDR3 15" Mid 2009 OS X Lion . Sorry to ask but what is OWC? Are their videos on youtube?

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Try entering "Replace Battery in MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2009" at iFixit. They have teardowns and step by step instructions with photos for almost all computer home repairs. https://www.ifixit.com/
    They also give you a list of tools required, very good site.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information