Suggestion and expert opinions required please :)
    Hello everyone,

I'm a new user here. I would really appreciate if you could hep me in choosing my next laptop - Confused between the following devices:

MacBook 12 inch 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.4GHz)
    OR
    MacBook Pro 13 retina 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)

I would be using my laptop more for the following tasks: Word processing, PowerPoint presentations, Working on excel templates, e-mails, lots of web browsing ( let's say about 15-20 tabs), bit of Photoshop - All at the same time... Won't be doing any video editing, games on the device.

Which one is the best suitable computer for my purpose mentioned above?. Would really appreciate your comments and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Maneesh

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    The MacBook offers the most portability so for Power Point presentations that is an advantage but think about the output ports available.
    The MacBook Pro will do everything you want and more and has a HDMI output.
    If price is not an issue I would go for the rMBP.
    You have not mentioned storage?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Thanks Rod Appreciate your help .
    You mentioned MBP - MacBok Pro - Isn't the MacBook 12 inch priced more than the MacBook Pro 13 inch?

Which one would you recommend Rod?. 128 or 256? Heard the read/write performance is much better on a 256 gig device.

Regards,
    Maneesh

Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    MBP would be my choice for the reasons Rod pointed out as well as better computing power - faster processor. As for storage - 128 versus 256. For me it would be a minimum of 256GB - 500GB is even better. That 128GB will fill up fast. What really affects performance is how full the drive becomes and 128GB fills faster than you think.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Thanks Lisa..Very helpful...i would go for the MBP 256GB now... Which one of those devices do you use if I may ask?? How's the performance?? Asking as I'm going for a Mac for the very first time

Regards
    Maneesh

Your Mac's Specs
    I have several macs. I have a 2011 MBP that I use for mobile video editing with Premiere Pro, also for Photoshop work. It has 16GB of memory and I replaced the HDD with a 480GB SSD which made it amazingly faster. I also have a MBAir with a 256GB SSD for home use - internet, etc. My main work horse is my Mac Pro which has a 480GB SSD from OWC for it's main drive.

If your previous experience has been in the Windows environment then moving to the mac world will be a bit of a learning curve. I have 35+ years on Windows computers and still use one at work. I changed over to Macs about three years ago. I was sick of Windows issues - long story. Anyway, I had an adjustment period but once I figured out what was different I fell in love. Macs tend to just work. They hold better resale value too.

As far as performance - with all three of my macs - four if I include my husbands iMac - they all perform fast - from my MBAir with 4GB of memory to my Mac Pro with 64GB - for what you will be doing, performance on either laptop will be great. I would caution getting the Macbook 12" as I think you might get a little bogged down with the M processor. This is just my opinion as I have never really put one through its paces but my MBAir can get a little sluggish working with large Photoshop pics with other apps running and it has an i5 processor with an SSD. Just a thought.

I do suggest you get at least 8GB of memory (which I think is now the minimum) or more if offered. You can never have enough memory.

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Good to get suggestion from an expert like yourself Lisa.

I would go for the MBP and going to check in the store tomorrow. Thanks for your help and it really mattered.

Cheers,

Maneesh

Your Mac's Specs
    Not sure about the expert part! It is an excellent idea to check them both out. Get a feel for the keyboard and how the screen size looks to you.

Lisa

I definitely will do that.. Considering all the facts, figures and performance capabilities I would go for the Pro edition Lisa... Thanks again.. Appreciate very much..
    Regards
    Maneesh

Your Mac's Specs
    13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
    I went for the 256GB 13" rMBP and have not regretted it. The MacBook is a nice laptop but it's way too small and underpowered for my taste. I was coming from a 2010 15" MacBook Pro which lasted 7 years and still works efficiently, so I wanted another reliable one that would last for quite some time, and I just didn't feel like the MacBook and its specs were up to it.
    13" 2015 Retina MacBook Pro
    15" 2010 MacBook Pro
    Samsung Galaxy S8

Hey Tarek,

Didn't quite get it. You mentioned that you haven't regretted using the 13" rMBP and you said later that the specs weren't up fro it.. So you wouldn't suggest the device for someone like me who's looking for Word processing, PowerPoint presentations, Working on excel templates, e-mails, lots of web browsing ( let's say about 15-20 tabs), bit of Photoshop - All at the same time... Won't be doing any video editing, games on the device.

What trouble did you face in rMBP?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by manishnair View Post
    Hey Tarek,

Didn't quite get it. You mentioned that you haven't regretted using the 13" rMBP and you said later that the specs weren't up fro it.. So you wouldn't suggest the device for someone like me who's looking for Word processing, PowerPoint presentations, Working on excel templates, e-mails, lots of web browsing ( let's say about 15-20 tabs), bit of Photoshop - All at the same time... Won't be doing any video editing, games on the device.

What trouble did you face in rMBP?
    I believe Tarek was talking about the MacBook and not about the MBPr. That's my takeaway from his statement.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Your Mac's Specs
    13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I believe Tarek was talking about the MacBook and not about the MBPr. That's my takeaway from his statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by manishnair View Post
    Thanks. That makes sense.
    Yes, I was talking about the 12" MacBook. The 13" rMBP performs really well and I think it will meet your needs the best. It's a little bit more pricey but I assure you, it is well worth it. Good luck with your decision either way, they are both premium quality laptops.
    13" 2015 Retina MacBook Pro
    15" 2010 MacBook Pro
    Samsung Galaxy S8

Thread Information