Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1




Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    macbook not keeping wireless connection
    Usually my macbook would always connect to the last wireless network I was on whenever I startup or just lift the monitor up. Of course the network changes if I go to a different house or hotel, etc.

    But now I constantly have to pick the network to connect to over and over again every time I startup from sleep mode and such. I even deleted the networks I no longer use, but that didn't help.

    Why would I have to keep choosing the network every time?

  2. #2
    macbook not keeping wireless connection
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    27,044
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Rep Power
    38
    Did you upgrade to Yosemite recently? This and other WiFi issues have plagued Yosemite since its release. Apple was supposed to have sorted them in 10.10.1, but there's still quite a bit of kerfuffle on the interwebs about it.

    Hopefully that's not your issue, but could you clarify exactly which MacBook model you have an what version of OS X it's running?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Did you upgrade to Yosemite recently? This and other WiFi issues have plagued Yosemite since its release. Apple was supposed to have sorted them in 10.10.1, but there's still quite a bit of kerfuffle on the interwebs about it.

    Hopefully that's not your issue, but could you clarify exactly which MacBook model you have an what version of OS X it's running?
    No I did not upgrade to Yosemite yet.

    I'll post the comp specs later, I'm not home now.
    This happened suddenly also, not after an update or anything. Last night I installed a few updates, but the problem was still there this morning.

  4. #4
    macbook not keeping wireless connection
    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Rep Power
    13
    I know you said you deleted the networks that you don't use, but have you tried deleting ALL networks? Clearing the list completely might help. just a suggestion...
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    I know you said you deleted the networks that you don't use, but have you tried deleting ALL networks? Clearing the list completely might help. just a suggestion...
    I'll try that.

    Here are specs:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

    Am I missing anything?

    Also, when I switch users I need to manually connecting the wireless network, even though I was already connected to it before I switched the user.

  6. #6
    macbook not keeping wireless connection
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    27,044
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Rep Power
    38
    Thank you, that helps.

    In addition to deleting and readding all networks, I'd recommend a PRAM reset. Here's how to do it....

    1. Turn off the Mac completely.
    2. Turn it on and immediately press (and hold) Command + Option + P + R.
    3. Continue holding until you hear the system chime 3 times.
    4. Release and the machine should boot normally.

    Hope that helps.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Thank you, that helps.

    In addition to deleting and readding all networks, I'd recommend a PRAM reset. Here's how to do it....

    1. Turn off the Mac completely.
    2. Turn it on and immediately press (and hold) Command + Option + P + R.
    3. Continue holding until you hear the system chime 3 times.
    4. Release and the machine should boot normally.

    Hope that helps.
    Been busy, haven't tried that PRM reset yet, but another thing I noticed is
    -if I have 2 users logged on and both connected to wireless.
    -when I log off of 1 user, I have to re-select the wireless network on the other.

    does that seem like a PRAM issue?

  8. #8
    macbook not keeping wireless connection
    Beatles4Life's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 07, 2004
    Location
    The land of paella.
    Posts
    385
    Your Mac's Specs
    Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
    Rep Power
    16
    My MacBook Pro kept doing that too, and until about 3 days ago I thought it was Mavericks. Turned out the walls in my bedroom are thicker than I expected. I found this out when I opened my laptop from sleep mode in another room in my flat and it connected instantly.

    I've also noticed that if I have my bedroom door slightly ajar it improves my chances of being able to pick up the wi-fi signal.
    "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatles4Life View Post
    My MacBook Pro kept doing that too, and until about 3 days ago I thought it was Mavericks. Turned out the walls in my bedroom are thicker than I expected. I found this out when I opened my laptop from sleep mode in another room in my flat and it connected instantly.

    I've also noticed that if I have my bedroom door slightly ajar it improves my chances of being able to pick up the wi-fi signal.
    I don't think distance is the problem. I'm picking up my neighbors network from across the street as well as tons of others around me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Macbook keeps dropping wireless connection
    By blueone97 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
  2. iMac not keeping airport connection...what's up?
    By Ronald S. Jr. in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM
  3. macbook wireless connection
    By slee123 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 04:40 AM
  4. help with macbook wireless connection
    By jb303 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 04:14 PM
  5. Macbook and wireless connection
    By Ninapants in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •