Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Arrow SSD Crash! Macbook Pro Mid 2014 15" Retina 2.2Ghz
    Hi all,

Has this happened to anybody? Basically I just closed my macbook at home, went to my class, opened it up, and it showed the white folder with the question mark icon. After some investigation, I discovered that the SSD crashed - or - was no longer present in the machine.

I've had the Macbook for 11 days, it's my first one, and boom, I lose all my files, including two digital paintings that took over 30 hours to paint. I took the machine to an iStore, and they booked it in, and didn't want to give me an exchange unit. Might I add they were quite offish to me - as if it was my fault! The customer service is bad.

I did not expect a brand new mac to lose it's SSD so fast. Has this happened to anyone else? Any insights or views?

They said it would take 6 working days to get back to me. I really wish they just gave me a new one.

SSD Crash! Macbook Pro Mid 2014 15" Retina 2.2Ghz
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    What's an iStore? If you had taken your new rMBP into a genuine Apple Store it would have been exchanged for a brand new one without question. Authorized Mac dealers and stores do not operate the same way. And by the way, hard drives (SSD included) can fail anytime. I've had a failure right out of the box brand new.

iStore in South Africa are the official Apple retailers here.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Thanks for the info, however, as I stated in my first reply, an official Apple Store would have exchanged your new rMBP on the spot. I don't know how the retail laws are in S. Africa but according to Apple, you can return your Mac within 2 weeks of purchase no questions asked.

Perhaps you could return it for a refund and then purchase another one?

I think I might do that when I finally get it back (if I get it back within 6 days, which I doubt.)

I am quite upset about them not giving me a new one. They guy at the store said that that particular store didn't have stock of that model, but I don't understand why they couldn't just send me to a different store.

Oh well...

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Think you should have contacted Apple support as it is a new machine. Be careful the store does not try to divert you from a replacement.

https://www.apple.com/za/contact/
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your feedback. Thankfully, and after a bit of back and forth, I am getting a new machine next week.

That said, I have some concerns. What if this happens again? WHat if, one day I close my macbook, head somewhere else, open it up and the SSD has disappeared again?

What causes that, why did it happen? I honestly don't have any idea, other than possibly a bad SSD drive, or perhaps the SSD firmware needed updating. I believe there is a Sandisk 256GB SSD in that model with a Marvel controller.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks so much!

Your Mac's Specs
    iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
    Backups, backups, backups !

Your machine may fail at any time, so having backups is the ONLY way to go.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    And all hard drives fail. Not if, bu when. Have had brand new G.Skill Falcon dead in the very fancy packaging, Kingston V200 die in three months and a Samsung. For what is worth, best run I have had are from OWC and OCZ Vertek (Toshiba) drives.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I personally have not read about the new Retina's SSD failing. That does not mean it's not possible but so far not seen anyone complain in all my reading.

Do get an external and at least let Time Machine do backups. It's for your own protection. Anything can die.

Thread Information